The real team 26 thread

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by dmen, Aug 29, 2011.

1. LiveToHunt

LiveToHunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    LiveToHunt checking in. freezer fillers, because that is the goal for day # one on stand. Meat in the freezer!!!

2. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll try and whip up an avitar this evening.

Who wants to be team captain?

3. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for volunteering Ryan.

If it's not stepping on anyone's toes, I can be the captain. I'm a rookie but have constant access and am on here basically all day.

4. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Did you see someone in Canada on Live2Hunt (show) shot a 290 something velvet buck. I think people think it was you. It would be cool for all of us if it was.

5. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I second you as the captain indynotch. I don't really care who does it. I don't have the time to do it.

6. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Indy for captain and it looks like a majority of people like freezer fillers,( i still like ungulate eradicators but i digress)
    There has not been alot of talk about hunting here yet. When is everybody starting, what do you have lined up? Our expanded archery season starts Saturday, and i get to go to a wedding that afternoon. Our regular season starts sept 29. I have a hunt in kansas in november that i am pretty pumped for.

7. sdewwy

sdewwy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am ready to talk about hunting. Our season starts Oct. 1st. I will be out that morning. I hunt public land in central IL. Did some scouting last Friday and pushed a nice buck out of the timber and also saw a decent doe in the same area... Looking forward to the start of the season.

8. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    I took a hot tip from my grandfather and found at the back of my family's farm there is a spot where the deer have ravaged the corn. In an attempt to put a camera out I kicked up a buck that was 150-160, a good mature one. I'm not sure how to get at him though. The land is completely flat, there's a total of 6 trees and half the land isn't ours. I'm thinking I may try and go up through the cornfield to get close enough for a shot. Either way, I only have a few weeks to get him and it's going to take a lot of patience. He didn't come through when I bumped him until sometime after 12:00. I did get the camera out so hopefully I can get a bead on his movements some more.
    Our season starts Oct 1st as well. I've never been more excited.

9. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good pick for team name and captain. Season in NH starts 9/15, MA 8/15, and ill be in KS for a week in November!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

10. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Ah Chris I am jealous. A guy at work has a big farm in Kansas but I don't know him good enough to hunt it yet, but I sure do give him a hard time every time I see him about it. I'm hoping next year I can get to a few out of state hunts. This year though, depending on how my farm buck works out, I'm hoping to hit some public land around the state.

11. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy moved to KS a few years back. I'm going to be hunting his brother in laws 80 acres that abuts an alfalfa field on one side and soybeans on the other. My buddy is hanging 2 stands for me to hunt out of for 6 days.

There is a nice Buck I have seen on a regular basis on the land I am renting on in MA. I think he is a 10 pointer but its been hard to tell. Just ordered an m80 to see if I can get a better look before the season starts.

I have low expectations for NH. There simply aren't a lot of mature deer. The only Buck I've seen on my trail camera up there is a young 6. I've seen a lot of does though. My hope up there is I get a shot at the big old black bear that knocked my trail cam around.

-chris

12. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Season opens October 1 for me too. I have 5 different properties that I hunt. 4 private and 1 public. The public land is roughly 800 acres of bowhunting only, and the private land is around 175 acres total and I only share it with one other hunter. Its looking to be a good year for a 130 or up buck. I have at least 5 now that I know are out there.

Chris, when you coming up to my neck of the woods???? I was thinking about that buck that you spotted, and if it were me I would wait for the perfect wind one day and put a stalk on him. Assuming the corn stays in and he stays on his feeding pattern for the first coupe weeks in October. I think that would be your best chance at getting him. Let me know what you think.

13. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Eric, well depending on how this buck goes will depend on if I make it or not. I have to take my hunter education course too in order to hunt public land, but I'm taking that the first of November so we'll be good there.

I agree completely about trying out a little stalk and wait. I'll have my climber with me in case, but my plan is to go up through the corn field and sit in there. The wind typically comes out of the west which is perfect. Its either going to be very wild or very boring. I did put that camera up to try and get a pattern. I'll go get it next Saturday.

It's looking like this season took a turn for the better.

14. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds great Chris!!! I hope you put that big brute down!

15. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Hey thanks Eric.
    Well I did a dress rehearsal tonight and used the corn field in front of my house. It didn't go well. It was very loud and visability was minimal at best. If you would, go to the whitetail section and check out my thread. I'd love to get some feedback, I'm at a loss here.

16. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All of my hunting will be on public land this year. I spent most of the summer and the time leading up to this fall scouting potential spots and marking a good amount of sign and even spotting some here and there. I bumped a seven or eight pointer with a drop-tine on public land and he is definitely on my hit list now.

I did secure access to a 10-acre chunk of land almost right in the city here. It's not very large but I'm aware of at least three trophy deer that came out of there last year and I've always got that as a backup.

My climbing sticks and stand are ready to go, now I'm just waiting on my safety harness from Hunter Safety System which is supposed to be here Tuesday of next week. My bow is zeroed in and I shot my broadheads through it at several different random distances, all hitting true. One week from Saturday, I'm gonna be trying my best to put some meat in the freezer.

17. LiveToHunt

LiveToHunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys, season starts here in Wisconsin On Sept 17th. Lost a 60 acre farm about two weeks ago, that I hunted the pass 5 years. But yesterday picked up some land I hunted about three seasons ago, this place I can hunt till Nov 17th. So I'm work a short day today then going to take down my stands and trail cams and move them to my new spot. I got stands on three other pieces of land. I hunt about 95% private land, because I love to hang a stand and leave it. I only hunt in state at this time. But hoping to go out of state in the next year or so.

18. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to go out in the morning. it is the opener of our expanded archery season. I have no expectations just feel like getting out for a morning sit.Haven't been in this area all year and it is really more of an afternoon spot but what the heck.I Have a wedding in the afternoon so that is out.

19. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    How was the hunt dmen?
    Live - That's about the same setup I have going on.

Well here's the buck I've been talking about. I'm going out to hang a stand here in a few minutes. I want to be able to get in quick and quiet.

Attached Files:

20. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went out to one of my stands yesterday and someone jacked the SD card from my camera... left the camera though. The only thing I care about is whoever it was doesn't skrew up my spot. Kind of bummed though.