Opinion on Group Size

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Grits, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Grits

Grits Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering how proficient should one should be to make an ethical shot at a deer. I am talking ideal conditions: no wind, broadside shot, and deer standing still. I have read that most deer are taken at 30 yards or less, so what kind of groups should you be capable of at 30 yards before taking a shot? I don’t have any bow hunting friends so I have to get all my information from TV, the Forum, or a book. Right now I am capable of maybe 2 to 3 inches at 10 yards if I take my time. Tomorrow I will start shoot all my shots at 20. I want to make sure I am proficient before I even take my bow in the woods. The temptation might be too great and force me to take a shot I should have passed.

2. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good Idea, It's always great to practice where ever there is time. I target and 3-D shoot all through the off season when I can. When I was young I used to shoot at a paper plate hung on some hay bails, a deers vitals are roughly the size of a paper plate. So that was my rule of thumb then. Now I shoot groups tighter than that at 40 yards so I have no question. I dont shoot out to 50 because I just dont have the confidence in it. If you shoot three inch groups at ten and you move out to 20 and then 30 your grouping will get more spaced out as you go. (theoretically). Just be sure to practice at all the distances you plan to shoot.

3. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have always heard most people try to keep their groups in inch increments, like 1" at 10 yards, 2" at 20 yards, and so on

4. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site Grits. Practice as much as you possibly can. However, like you said in your post, take your time. The number of arrows into a target makes no difference as much as the number of quality arrows placed into a target.
    As Cole mentioned above, most people use 1 at 10, 2 at 20...
    Another good thing to do is practice the furthest distance you can. I like to shoot at 50 yards, sometimes moving up to 40 or back to 60. However my sight has the pins to do so. This makes you really think through your shot and take your time. I personally wouldn't try a shot on a deer at 60. Imagine the size of what you're aiming for at 60 yards, now aim for the same place at 20 yards. The 20 yard spot is HUGE in comparison.

Don't worry about grouping yet. Focus on your form. When you get your form in both good and consistent condition, your grouping will show. Just take your time and you'll get there.

5. kskcheche

kskcheche Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At 30 yards with 3 shots I want them touching one another, fletching or shaft. With broadheads since its hard, for me anyways, to get all of my arrows with blades to fly the same a 3" group at 30 makes me happy.

6. BigJ71

BigJ71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a different approach. While I stress practice, practice, practice, I understand not everyone (including me) has the time nor the inclination to shoot THAT much. So unless you are a competition shooter don't worry about all your arrows touching each other. Even the one inch at 10 yards, two inches at 20 yards etc... theory can be a bit much. For me it's simple, if I can consistently place all my arrows in the size of a heart out to the distance I have set as my limit then I'm good to go......Afterall, that is what we're aiming for right??

Nothing wrong with wanting to place all your arrows in one hole but just because you can't doesn't mean you wont be a very successful hunter....

Good luck!

7. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I could be wrong but the heart is around 2" so 2" at 30 is really good. Most people want a lung shot. High in the lungs. The heart is the perfect shot but, I highly doubt everyone aims for the heart.

That being said, focus on form as said above, tighter groups will come with better form and focus on the anchor points.

8. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    BigJ, where you been man, seems like it's been forever since I've seen you around!

9. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The hearts from the deer that I've killed have all been approximately 3 1/2 to 4 inches in width and 4 1/2 to 5 inches in length. It's considerably bigger than a 2 inch target, but I still don't aim for the heart. Lungs all the way for me.

10. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    What the heck was I typing? I meant 4".

11. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

lol......yeah right........:lol:

12. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Roughly the size of your fist. Not Crick's fist though, that'd be more like an elk heart :)

13. jakeratt

jakeratt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    me I like my groups to be no more than 3 inches at 45 yrds.

14. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Generl rule of thumb is 1" for every 10yds. Unless you're an AT archer, then it's no less than 3" at 100yds.

15. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Or all the arrows touching at 30 yards... ;)

16. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Right or wrong, I've evolved into a "Pie Plate" guy. Just be able to hit the pie plate with 100 percent confidence, center your pin in the vitals and cut it loose. No nonsense. No overthinking things.

Spend your time and energy finding a deer to shoot at.

Finding deer is the hard part. Shooting one is easy.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  17. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you think you can run farther with an arrow through your lungs or heart? Lung shot 100% for me.

18. hillrunner

hillrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very few people can actually shoot as good as they claim on the internet, not consistently anyway. I like to practice at 50 yds, but I can't keep a 5" group EVERY time. I will shoot no more than 30 yards at live game but set most my stands for a slam dunk 15 yd shot. I can probably get that 5" spacing or better every time at 30 yds and I am plenty confident with that.

19. BigJ71

BigJ71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I never stray too far! I lurk a lot and post sparingly....but I'm here!

20. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I practice out to 65yd on a regular basis. Shot my first 4" group at 65 this weekend. 95% of the time I keep it in the vitals at 65yd and I practice on a small "Shooter Buck". I was super excited about that one. I feel this has really helped my inside 30yd shot group. I consistently shoot 3" groups at 40yd now. Its not uncommon for me to have arrows touching at 30yd and its becoming more common than not. I spent a long time on form and everything else fell into place from there. Guys on this forum helped me considerably with form. I shoot a lot because I enjoy it. In the woods I wont go past 20yd this season. All my stands are placed within 20yd of trails. Double lung pass throughs are what I will be aiming for.