Doe with Fawns, Who would Shoot???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Gjacobs, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Gyle

Gyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No way! Its unethical to kill a doe with fawns. If you shoot the mother your leaving a fawn or two alone to fend for itself pretty much killing the fawns.

2. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The season is open for a reason......To kill deer. Yes I have done it and will again. If you need to thin your does, it's the best time to do it. If you wait they all get smart. They wouldn't open the season at this time if it would affect the fawn survival rates.

3. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One thing to think about. If they are buck fawns and you shoot her. They will adopt that area as your home range. If moma lives they will relocate in a different area.

4. ttraveler

ttraveler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  5. flstnhd

flstnhd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a doe with twins and a few days later they hooked up with another doe with twins and the five hung out the next year and a half.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Colorado Luckydog

Colorado Luckydog Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot a doe before with a fawn. If it was going to make me feel bad, I should have thought about it before I decided to be a hunter. The seasons are when they are for a reason. Yes I would take the shot.

7. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes! ...... No! ..... I guess I don't know until that presents itself.....

8. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I see no issue with it. By that point in the year the fawn are capable of surviving on their own.

9. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Im shooting. Getting out of my stand and tagging the doe, then shooting the fawn as it sits and watches me.

10. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If those were buck fawns I would shoot for sure.

11. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have done it before and would do it again.

The fawns aren't gonna be with mama much longer anyway...I see no issue with it.

12. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    No...purely personal decision.

13. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man, be carefull using that word around here. Although I believe it is unethical for me to do it, if others are alright with it and they are in the limits of the law doing it then they can if they want. I use to think things were unethical until I became a member here and these guys opened my eyes. The word unethical can be offensive to others who believe a different way. Just thought I would let you know before you offend others like I did one time. I don't remember what it was about but, I used it loosely. Thats why when I do use it, I clariffy what I mean by it. Most of the time it is my personal veiws of things I wouldn't do myself but, others do that are within the limits of the law. For example, it is legal in my state to hunt over a corn pile. Do I do it? No. I hunt the trails going to them if I use corn. Kill plots, I hunt them but, others may not see it as something they would do. Its within the law but, not something that a lot of people agree with.

14. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you live anywhere around the Midwest, those fawns are within a week or two of getting pushed out on their own anyway... you are NOT "killing the fawns" in the least. I take does with fawns all the time at the first of the season, and I see them later throughout the season -- surviving just fine.

15. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a doe with twins on opening night last year and the same on the first Wednesday the year before. Both years, I watched the orphans fend for themselves all season. I've heard old timers say that fawns are fine to survive after July 4th. That's early, but by late Sept/early Oct I'm positive they are good to go.

16. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've done It before and I'll do It again and yes I have a huge heart. Same goes with a sow and cubs, I'd shoot her too If she was what I wanted. If I didn't think the fawns and cubs could survive on their own then obviously I wouldn't do It but that's not the case that time of the year.

17. polock

polock Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a doe one year that had twins with her and they wouldn't leAve after she was down. I did not see them till after the shot. I wouldn't do it again

18. BEAR09

BEAR09 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I passed on a doe with two fawns last October. It is a decision I have made before and one I will make again in the future.

19. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had this happen to me when I 1st started bow hunting 22 years ago and I passed, didn't come up again for another 3 years . This time I took the Doe and left a button buck and doe with out a moma. They pushed at her trying to get her up till I finally got down and approached moma. They took of about 40 yards while I gutted her and then left. I did the opposite with a calf moose one year. She was with momma and I shot her 1st and the Cow cried like I never heard before. Man that was tough act to follow till she walked out of range about a 100 yards away and another hunter gun shot her. Took away the guilt right then and there.The reason I took the doe the second time was I had heard the same thing Greg said, that the fawns will make it that late in the season on there own. I've never looked back and have done it twice more since.
    Rocky

20. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Beat me to it. I have, with no regrets, and will again without second thought. Fawns are basically weaned by September anyway and can survive no problem.
    I also am a hungry fella and there aren't many does that don't have fawns