Mechanicals a butchers perspective

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by peakrut, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Since you quoted the word ignorant, I will assume part of this question was directed at me. I used the word, ignorance, in reference to hunters that don't know their bow is out of tune. So if you don't know if your bow is properly tuned, then yes, you're ignorant to that. My comment had nothing to do with the use of mechanicals.

If it was not directed at me, then I just wasted 10 seconds of my life. Wouldn't be the first time.

2. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    No worries brother. I don't shoot mechs any more and I will agree that mechs are more prone to failure than, say, my Slick Tricks. I did see your other post and I wasn't trying to demean you in any way. What I was trying to convey is that some of those cheaper heads I've seen (Allen brand?) have really super thin blades that will bend easily which would make them just as prone to failure as a mech if not even more so as the blades on most mechs, while narrow are pretty thick. I totally agree with your last sentence though. Let each bow hunter decide for themselves.

3. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not one bit - I have used mechanicals and might again. I say "lazy" to describe one group of bowhunters that do look at a package of mechanicals and say "I can just screw them on and go" without having any idea if their arrow is flying sideways downrange or not. I'm guessing you have tuned a bow before and are much more proficient with a bow than this "group" I was generalizing.

Or call it ignorant - but ignorant to me just means too lazy to educate oneself.

I hope people read my comments and understand that I have no issues at all with using mechanicals...I mostly just think they are overpriced. I'd be 100% confident to add them to my setup and effectively hunt/kill with them today.

4. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just bought 24 100 grn fixed muzzy's should last me a few years:) 120 dollars:)

5. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I understand your use of the word. I too have been misunderstood when using it on many ocassions. Ignorant means unknowing. Some use it incorrectly and asume it means dumb or stupid.

Anyways, I have too agree that it doesn't matter the broadhead choice. They have all been proven to kill as they were intended too. Yes mechs fail sometimes as does anything man made. So can a fixed blades. They are all man made. I believe the blame lies on the shot placement and there are many different factors that can effect this. The deer could move, shooter flench, wind gust , heck even be a bad shot to begin with. Now take into account that most of us on this forum are not the average hunter. We believe in practice, tuning and knowing we have the confidence to make the shot placement we intend.

I agree that most of the guys who take their animals to the butcher are probably less likely to be the same type of hunters we all are and probably do not practice, tune and know they can make the shot. This would explain why a butcher would see things like this. Thats just my $.02

6. tek4life

tek4life Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I'll put my 02 cents in on this one. First and foremost I shoot both but mainly use nap spitfires. I do spend countless hours perfecting my setup and I tune my bow with the largest fixed blade I can find to ensure perfect flight no cheating with micro fixed blades. Now The reason I chose to shoot mech is not because I'm lazy or advertising. Its the feeling of oweing my prey a quick and clean kill. I always plan for the worst and this is why. We all practice but when the moment of truth comes we can forget to do simple things or hours in the stand can change our form and we are shooting a living animal deer duck, jump. run, and turn. If this was not a possibilty I would only shoot fixed blades. But in life nothing is predictable. By have a greater cutting diameter you increase your chance of a clean kill. 1/4 of an inch can be the difference between a clean kill and a wounded deer to be hunted by yotes or die a slow death. In every way possible I stack the odds in my favor if I can increase my wound channel by an inch without sacrificing penertration than I'm all for it. And IMHO all broadheads can break into little pieces if it has replaceable blades it can break. If you were looking for the unbreakable we'd be using alaskan bowhunting's broadheads which are made of one solid piece of metal. This debate is the same as debating baiting or which bow maker is better All personal opinion we can all make points but at the end of the day no one is really right but no one is wrong. Dang this turned into a rant that it wasn't supposed to be

7. jmr57

jmr57 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    .....although I don't use them anymore, but back in the "old days" all we ever used was the old style Bear Razorheads.......man, those things will blow a hole through them the size of your fist. My buddy still uses them with his hand-made wooden longbow and cedar shafts with turkey fletchings. Recovers them and re-sharpens the big blade and uses new bleeder blades on them. Some of those heads have been through a dozen deer each and still going.........a bit of a traditionalist he is.

8. Bailbuster

Bailbuster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Broadheads

Mostly shot placement, shoot into a shoulder they will fail no doubt so will a fixed,I have hunted 40+ years used just about everything out there but a sharp stone,seen them all fail and all win.thats my 2bits...BB

9. BShunter

BShunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot a lot of different broad heads over the years and I can tell you from my experiances nothing holds up like a Muzzy. I have shot mechanicles, G5 and a rage look alike and have seen blades brake. When hunting in northern WI with repuatable bear hunters they said to never use mechanicle on bears. So when I landed on Muzzys I stuk with them. The blades may serrate a bit when hitting bone hard, but never have I had one break. This is my experiance only mind you, but I will never shoot anything but a Muzzy now. They are just plain tough.

10. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow
    Is all I can say! Tekan's I say are a proven mech to me from experience and trial. I use both too, Montec fixed and Montec Tekan mech. Three years ago I shot a little forward at a deer approaching me. He was a good deer and I decided I wanted him for a meat buck.Hence I made the shot to the amazement and sound of the hit, I was in awe as the deer bolted forward and dropped in site 30 yards past me. My tekan blew through his front shoulder and took out his heart .The shoulder was the key to the Tekan making the kill as the Tekan is made with a cutting tip.This enabled the broadhead to blow through the bone before getting to open. There is only 1/8 of an inch of skin on top of the bone so the chisel type of cutting head did it's job of splitting the bone to allow the blades to open and do their cutting job. My partner had the same type of senario a year later and took the same shot and had the same result. I was 60 yards away in another stand and heard the contact of bone and phoned him asap. He relayed what happened. Short retreaval was all that was needed then too. This was the only time in the past 8 years since I started using Montec broadhead brands that I haven't had a pass through. Only the fletchings were showing. So the penatration was there also. To whoam ever made the comment about penatration with an expandable being questioned, need I say any more!
    Rocky:jaw:

11. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree there are many bowhunters who are lazy and ignorant regarding how well their bow is tuned...but I see this in shooters of both fixed and mechanical heads. I know many bowhunters shooting fixed heads that have probably never even practiced with them and know nothing of how to tune a bow. There are unfortunately lots of slob bowhunters out there regardless of what is on the business end of their arrow.

I also think there are plenty of hunters like me who choose mechanicals because they are just a flat out effective weapon to kill animals with.

IMO there are some mechanicals brands which are much more effective than others...so blanket statements about all mechanicals tend to annoy me. There are plenty of expandable heads on the market that I would probably not use...but the one's I have hunted with have proven to be quite effective.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  12. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A field point will kill a deer if the shot is placed correctly.

"Expand your kill zone", is kind of a BS marketing claim; it's only true in 1 direction- to the BACK. If you miss the vitals with, lets say a Rage, hitting to the back of the animal, the cutting diameter may save your rear. If I'm missing to the front, I want the penetration qualities, or, characteristics of a solid, well constructed, SHARP fixed blade head.

I shoot both fixed and expandables out of my 82nd A/B. Both group tightly together out to 60 and 70 yards with field point tipped arrows, because, my bow is tuned. Having a tuned bow affords one the ability to broaden the BH choosing decision.

13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I could I would have a large bowie knife stuck to the tip of my arrows! Long live fixed blade broadheads....

[​IMG]

14. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think being able to use mechanicals should follow the same philosophy of "earn-a-buck" regulations; until you can tune your bow with a fixed-blade head, you shouldn't be allowed to screw on a mech.

15. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    But it's ok to shoot a fixed head if bow is not tuned? ;)

Just messing with ya Greg...

16. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it was anyone else Cooter... ;)

17. Colorado Luckydog

Colorado Luckydog Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I can't believe that I just read that! Now that's freaking funny!!

I don't shoot mechanicals but my buddy does. To each his own. I don't have a reason to switch from Muzzy's, so I probably never will.