QAD Drop Away or Whisker Biscuit?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JrBowHunter, Aug 7, 2011.

1. JrBowHunter

JrBowHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I can't choose between keeping the QAD Ultra Rest Hunter Drop Away or going back to a Whisker Biscuit. I have shot a whisker biscuit before and liked it, I just know it tears vanes easily. The QAD came with my new bow. The only concern about my drop away is it failing or unwanted arrow contact. Also, is the QAD Ultra Rest good or is it a piece of junk? Thanks in advance!

2. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen failure with the QAD. It'd be the whisker for me between the two. If you're looking for a solid drop away, check out a Limb Driver.

3. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a the same QAD on my 2008 Avenger, i personally enjoy it. just bought a 2010 Maxxis 31 came with a WB, im not a big fan of them. I've shot my dads 2010 turbohawk with a WB a lot and i just dont enjoy it, noise and fltching contact bothers me. i just put a new apache drop away on the Maxxis after reading everyone's raves about it, and I must say I have joined the fan club. very impressed. I think you should shoot the QAD for a bit, if you dont like it/ cant get used to it, pick up a whisker.

4. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a drop away now. I have an NAP Apache but I also looked at the QAD. I liked the design of the QAD but got the Apache cheaper. I don't like whisker biscuits at all. Although, I must say I have never used them. I just don't like the idea.

However, if YOU like the whisker biscuit, you could get a bit more rugged vanes so you don't go through them so often. I shoot VaneTec vanes and they are quite durable.

5. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok I have the same issue. I shoot a Mathews Monster with a QAD but since the time I bought it I get fletching contact every 5 shots or so, the bow just shoots so fast. I'm deffinatly going to switch to a different rest I cant stand fletching contact I;m never completly certain of how it effects my shot groups. I know it cant be good. My real concern is accuracy and if a whisker biscut will effect it that much but I'm also very concerned that buying another type of drop away will leave me with the same problem I have now, I don't really trust theres a drop away out there that can get out of the way fast enough for this bow.

6. Ed H

Ed H Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I love my QAD. Get 100% vane clearance every time, but im not shooting a speed bow. With the W.B. ive always hated the noise and the wear and tear on the vanes. With all the contact the arrow makes with the W.B. it is going to effect the arrow flight.

7. kstatesteve

kstatesteve Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I personally love the QAD Hunter and the new HDX Ultra Rest. I have hunter on my boy's Mission Craze and it has worked flawlessly. I also use a QAD HDX Ultra Rest on my Z7, and again have never had a problem!!! THey work great!! My oldest son has a whisker biscuit and the only problem we have here in Kansas are the super cold days and even if we spray teh whiskers with the anti-freeze solution, it has problems and we rip vanes off. I personally would go with the QAD rest.

8. questprimal27

questprimal27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a QAD Ultra-Rest pro HD and have never had issues with clearance. I shoot a fast bow 330 FPS and have never seen an arrow kick or get bumped. I'd never go back to at WB after shooting with this drop away. If your concerned about clearance there are a couple you tube videos online that will show you there is no issue.

My personal thought is that anyone that has had clearance issues did not setup the Drop Away correctly. The rope from the drop away to the cable needs to be tight at full draw. no slack or you will have issues.

9. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive tried about every drop away there is and I do believe they make my groups tighter and I really like them, but that being said I think if I had to do it over I would stick with the biscuit, there simple and I just dont feel there is that much of a difference

10. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The QAD and WB are the only two rests I'll use. I use the higher grade QAD though for the Lock Down (LD) function. Both are good. I personally moved away from the WB because of mt. goat hunting in freezing rain and ice fog that freezes the disk. For most folks it's fool proof though.

11. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I currently use the QAD Ultra but I have also used the WB. I like both of them but I just like the fact of Zero interference with my arrow thru the shot. I like both of them though.

12. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am positive my drop away is set correctly with the line completly tight at full draw, actually i have drawn my bow several times just to be sure but I still have the occasional nick in the vains or tear on the drop away pad from contact, not to mention when I decided to fletch my arrows with feather vains the huge cloud of dust it left behind after some shots and needless to say I burned right through those fletchings. I think I'll invest in the highest end drop away I can get my hands on. After all it is possible I got a dud or somthing is just a miss internally.

13. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    anyone here ever shoot a mathews down force? its between that and a high end QAD.

14. OutbackRyno

OutbackRyno Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If the only reason you are worried about the whisker biscuit is it tearing your fletching, you are holding yourself back. I have shot the same arrow through the biscuit hundreds of times and never had a vein tear or fall of due to the biscuit. If anyone says they have, I would question the fletching job to begin with. Put the biscuit on and never look back, or worry about mechanical failure. And heck, if you dont like it switch. Not like the biscuit breaks the bank.

Edit*** I can see it causing problems in extremely cold weahter conditions as stated above. Obviously wouldnt question the fletching job if they get torn shooting through a frozen rest.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  15. JrBowHunter

JrBowHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OutbackRyno, I am leaning toward what your saying. I mean the QAD rest I have is not the highest quality one. It is like the $60, and I don't think it has a lock down feature. I mean I have shot the Whisker Biscuit and killed deer with it and havent messed up vanes. I will probly try shooting the rest I have now and if I don't like it then I am probly going to go with a Whisker Biscuit.

16. Ky/Jody

Ky/Jody Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, Ive had excellent performance with a wisker biscuit. Good luck!

17. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to switch to the QAD from my trophy taker that came with my mathews monster but instead got taked into a whisker biscuit and I would never use anything else now. Simple, reliable, trouble free but most most importantly user friendly. Nock your arrow and forget about it. No falling off or knocking around.
    I had a lot of issues with my Trophy Taker and so happy I switched.

With that said, I'm a newb so I need some dummy proof equipment:)

18. BoneCollectorWV

BoneCollectorWV Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the drop-a-way rests. I'd go with the QAD.

19. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The QAD is a great rest! I've been using drop aways for 3 years now. I shoot just about everyday and I have never had a failure with a drop away. I'm currently using a fuse ultra-rest because the shop messed up my QAD and gave me this one for free (I happen like it just as much, if not more than my QAD). I would not hesitate to buy another QAD though.

20. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    QAD owners......one question, can you look at your rest and say the prongs have no marks on them?