Herd Location

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Nrbw54, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Nrbw54

Nrbw54 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last December, in the last few days of does only gun season, I was able to hunt a new area that I will be able to hunt this year. The area is all private land that gets little pressure, only 3 hunters on 40 acres. Within those last few days I was able to pattern a herd of 8-10 deer with one very large buck, that I actually thought was an elk at first glance (It was in northern WV where we have none, so I almost had a heart attack) My Question is: What are the chances that this herd will adhere to the same schedule in September? There is a buck in that herd that is calling my name.

2. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The deer are probably on a totally different food source now as opposed to last winter. But they could still be in your area. Get a trail camera out there now and see if you can locate them.

By the way, depending on how much they each hunt, 3 guys on 40 acres sounds like a LOT of pressure to me. I worry about over hunting my 85 acres mostly by myself on weekends.

It doesn't take much to push an old mature deer off a property.

3. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt the food in that late season. Here the deer are in the bottoms by the creeks and fields in the summer, and on through September when it's still hot, but move up top to the oaks later in the fall. In the late season the does will be where the food is where ever that may be, and the bucks will be there too.

4. Nrbw54

Nrbw54 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Guys. I'll make sure to put up a cam soon and see what happens.