New Bow break-in period

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by PrimePorkchop, Feb 19, 2011.

1. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first "brand new bow"...all others have been used, and i'm starting to notice what I consider to be problems, but am wondering if it might not be a part of the break-in phase?

Its a PSE Bow Madness XS. Set at 70#.

On the first day, I was able to sight in my 10, 20, 30, and 40 yard pins, and was shooting fairly accurate after some tweaking, and it was very consistent.

After a few weeks of regular shooting went by (typically twice a week for 4 to 5 hours each time) I started noticing problems. First, my shots seemed to start going lower, so i'd scoot up to 10 yards, only to find out none of my sights were on.

I'd readjust until I was hitting on target again. Things were going smooth for a few more sessions, then, once again, i seemed to be shooting lower...and this time, the plastic string that connects to my peep sight, kept breaking off (not coming off, but literally breaking off after every shot). I took it back to the pro shop, he did some work behind the counter, gave it back, and said it should be good to go.

But tonight, it kept coming off after every other shot, and, once again, my arrows were hitting low.

And when I say hitting low, it is a consistent problem. My groupings are very tight...they're just low (about 3" or so)

So now im pretty much frustrated beyond belief and not really sure what to do, as this is a hard situation to perform a google search on...i've tried, but it doesn't like it when i type in "Why is my bow consistently shooting 3 inches lower than where i adjust my sights to"

So im HOPING that this is a break-in period. If i had to guess, i'd say i've shot right around 100 arrows so far, and my peep sight still hasn't firmly settled in a resting place (still rotates a little bit)

and that damn plastic tube keeps popping off.

ANY guidance would be most appreciated :nana:

p.s. the other thing that strikes me as kind of "off" is that the string is about 1/16th of an inch to the left of the notch labeled "xs" on my cam. Its only a single cam bow...but im wondering if it might be out of tune? The pro shop would know best...if the guy who runs it would ever get come home from vacation

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  2. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    2 questions (OK...a couple more...but 2 main thoughts):

1. Is your peep tied in? Can you take a photo and post it?

2. Just out of curiosity, what's the gap between your 10 and 20yd pins? If you shoot your 20yd pin from 10yds.....where do you hit? If you shoot your 10yd pin from 20yds.....where do you hit?

3. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you checked your rest? As bowhunters, we tend to be quick to adjust the sight, but not check your rest. Make sure it's centered and the screws are tight.

4. Michhunter

Michhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What tube keeps coming off your sight?

5. octhereicome

octhereicome Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    at first you will find that the string streches but i never herd of it stretching 6inches worth of drop lol
    And the tupe on you peep sight may just be too short or too big of a diameter of hole.
    They make a few smaller dia holes on those tubes try one of those out

6. PrimePorkchop

Dislikes Received:
    here's a quick shot of the "rubber piece" that is connected to my peep sight

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

as for the gap in my pins, i've never measured, and currently, they're not accurate at all...so measuring them wouldn't be useful at the moment.

They were equally spaced when things seemed to be going well, and remained so until things started going not-so-well.

My whisker biscuit is still level and the screws are good and tight. The only two things that I can personally think of is "Break in" time on the string

and whether or not that string alignment notch on the cam being off has anything to do with it?

*sigh* very confusing for me

If i use my 10 yard pin from 20 yards, I hit low, even when things are working right :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  7. octhereicome

Dislikes Received:
    peep could be moving on you

8. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess a better question would've been.....which pin is on top?....lol

As for your peep tube. it could be a little short; split on the peep end; any number of things. If it was mine, I'd put a little dish soap on the end that slips over the male end and let it dry. I've done this with sunglasses and rubber tubing (neck lanyard) when I was doing a lot of sal****er fishing. It helps slide them on and I can't help but think it forms a bond. Worth a cheap try.

9. octhereicome

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice
    You could even try glue if u wanted

10. PrimePorkchop

Dislikes Received:
    I actually did do the dishsoap idea - haven't done glue yet, but the issue with the tubing is that it keeps breaking off. So basically, it'll "break" right where the male part ends, leaving some of the rubber still on the peep sight. All in all, i've lost about an inch of the tubing, and they tell me to just keep pushing it on there...doesn't make much sense to me :rant:

There's a bow shop open today about 45 minutes from where I live, im just going to drive it up there and have them take a look at it.

I'll reply back with anything they may have to say ;)

Here's to hoping its not an expensive fix.

11. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like an anchor issue, to me, assuming the rest and sight are tight.

You say you shoot for 4 or 5 hours a few times per week, but, you've only put 100 arrows through the bow, total ???

Mark your peep location. I ALWAYS mark my string with a marker. Usually you'll "just know" if your peep has moved, substantially, but, having the mark there, takes the guess work out of it. It' just a little trick, that can lend to consistency.

As far as "break in" periods, a little string stretch could move your knock, a touch; do you know how to check the level of your knock ? It should be a TOUCH high.

As far as the peep aligner (tube) is concerned, I don't use them. After my new string settles, I twist it to align the peep and rarely ever have to touch it, again. Also, if the peep is just slightly out of align, center it on the string, then nock the arrow, which generally holds the peep in place. You can also spin the D-loop(if you have one), so that it centers the peep, when you draw.

I doubt the tension of the tube would pull your peep, highly doubt.

Try adjusting your sight for how the arrows are impacting/grouping, and, shoot the bow like that. Put some arrows through it, and, see if you end up having to chase the groups, again.

10yards tells me nothing, when adjusting. If I think there is an issue, I EXTEND the range. You can gather a lot more information on arrow performance when it's traveling 60yards, as opposed to 10yards. Incrementally walking back is a solid method. Your arrow can be doing one thing at 20yards and, an entirely different thing at 25, or 30yards. Always walk back, incrementally. Usually issues seen here, indicate major shooting form flaws or a rest that needs adjustment.

I would move the sight for the groups at 20yards, then, walk back to 30, than 40; see what happens. You "shouldn't" have to touch the pins, just make gang adjustments. With that bow @ 70lbs, assuming you're about average draw length, there is no reason to have a 10yard pin, unless you're shooting some kind of target archery.

12. octhereicome

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck!

13. octhereicome

Dislikes Received:
    well said
    and that bow should be beasting at 20yds 10yds wouldnt be needed as said by droptine
    i take a sharpie and mark my string where the peep is
    i have the twisting problem with my tubeless peep really bad and i hate it

14. PrimePorkchop

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry i should have clarified that I shoot with 3 other people, and we only have one target :) So...4 hours isn't just me shooting non-stop :D
    This is exactly what the guy told me, and it seems to be the problem. wasn't something I had considered before, but indeed, the peep sight had come a little loose and traveled down the string
    Very good advice, i had never thought of it like that before :hail:

Thanks to everyone for the replies...now all there is left to do is get back out there and shoot some more :woot:

15. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have the bow shop tie your peep in. It doesn't cancel the chance of it moving, but, it limits the chance.

Also, don't carry your bow by the string. You can inadvertently move the peep.

Yep, shoot shoot shoot.

Remember, don't immediately start adjusting components on the bow, if you're shooting a little off, after you've got everything dialed.

For example. You could be smacking shafts at 40yards, one day, the next day, barely able to hit your target. The first thing you should analyze, is shooting form, technique and release technique. Many times, I have been just a touch off on my anchor, especially recently, because I switched to a new release, and, modified my technique a bit.

Always start with shooter form, if you're having some issues after previously being sighted in, dead on.

16. PrimePorkchop

Dislikes Received:
    well...its no longer shooting low!...Was challenged to try a robin hood - shooting at 40 yards, and sank it! Took 7 attempts, but it looks like the peep sight was the problem!!!

I just wish I had the camcorder rolling when it happened...had 3 witnesses, so I can be happy with that! :)

My goal is to do this again - but this time - have video rolling.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  17. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I make sure I dont do the arrow in arrow, they cost too much! lol

18. Cedar

Cedar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work guys!

For what it's worth....I want to thank the guys that contributed to this post. I've been on other forums where the guy asking the question would be treated like an idiot or talked down to about not knowing what to do. The thoughts and suggestions you guys offered were great and help this guy to figure out what he could do to fix the issue.

I've been shooting my entire life....and never once marked my peep...until today! That's a great idea and one I will on each new string (once everything's set). I always went by the "I'll just know" line of thought....but having a mark on there is a great witness and one that won't lie. Great suggestion!!

19. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Peep could be moving. I would go with a g5 meta peep or something like it. Might be a rest issue. Make sure your d-loop isn't moving and your sight is tightening down. Then do a walkback tune. Kind of the same thing happened with my new Carnage. 1 day I went out to shoot and my arrow was dropping more than usual. Readjusted and has been great ever since. Guys I talked to said it was more than likely the string breaking it.

20. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would lose the tubed peep , and go with a G5 Meta Peep .