Blazer Vanes

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Hammer9522, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Hammer9522

Hammer9522 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,

I have fletched my own arrows for a long time using the bitzenburger and recently decided to switch to two inch blazers. I don't see it being a problem using the bitzenburger with the two inch vanes but was wondering if anyone has encountered any problems? Also, I was wondering if anyone has used the blazer wraps? Basically how have they held up, flight problems if any, or just your thoughts.

Thanks

2. LilSiman/OH

LilSiman/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The 2'' vanes are sick, hold up good in flight but don't know anything about the wraps.

3. jimmitch

jimmitch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the wrape they hold up well for me I also like the Blazer Helix" Fletching Jig

4. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have fletched probably 8 dozen arrows for myself and friends. All with a Bitzenberger and Blazers. Works great. Not sure about the wraps. I have used several different wraps and all worked well with the blazers, so I am sure you're fine.

5. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use everything Bohning that pertains to fletching arrows or building arrows , i've been for years even before i got asked to be on there Pro Staff , there Vanes and Wraps are flawless , the vanes bite fast to the wraps if your using a good glue to the point that even grabing hold of the vanes with a pair or pliers uou wont get them off , you will rip the vanes first ......b

6. ncnat

ncnat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Bohning wraps and Blazers and never had a problem with either.

7. bowhuntjoe

bowhuntjoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Realy like both the vanes & wraps.. A+ stuff !!

8. Ancient Archer

Ancient Archer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The problem I encountered, and it was slight - more of a nuisance, was the uneven clamping pressure on the tail end of the Blazer. I use a "dummy" Blazer at the forward end of the clamp to equalize the clamping pressure. With this balanced setup, I no longer have to apply firmer finger pressure on the aft end of the clamp.

The only downside I've found with using the Bitz is doing only one fletch at a time when I'm in a rush, and an occasional nock slip in the indexer. For faster fletching, I use the AEZ Mini Fletcher to do three at a time. However, the slots in the arms of the EZ are too loose in my opinion as they allow the Blazers to slide around too much, to the point where I have to squeeze the slot to hold the Blazers in place when applying the glue. Plus, I do feel I'm giving up accuracy with the EZ compared to the Bitz. I use the Zenith indexer for more consistent accuracy in the positioning of the fletching & have not had any nock slips

As for the fletching glue, I tried the Bohning Platinum Fletch-Tite and had instances where it didn't hold well; the Blazers pulled off easily. I've since gone to Goat Tuff Premium and have had no failures.

9. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ancient, I honestly have never had an issue with the Bitz and Blazers. Well, I did when I was fletching in our damp basement before I started finishing it and put heat down there.

As for glue, well, I just buy a 3 dollar tube of Loc Tite superglue gel at wal-mart. It holds up great and I've never had any issues with vanes coming loose. In fact they only way to get them off is to cut them off or pliers. In my opinion, superglue is superglue. The "archery specifc" glues are a bogus marketing tool IMO.

10. Hammer9522

Hammer9522 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank all so much for your feedback! Appreciate the different techniques for application. Best of luck to all this upcoming season. Pick a spot. -->