Do I shoot to much?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sticknstringarchery, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a perfectionist therefore I feel as though I have to be really good or near perfect no matter how short or long my sessions are. That being said, I believe I have reached the point of practicing too long at a time and maybe even to many times a week. Yesterday I shot in new strings on mine and my wifes bow I would have shot more had the strings been broke in and peeps installed. Then today I spent quite a while tuning mine and getting familiar with my new accessories, along with tuning hers out to 20yd. Once tuned with the field points I started on the broadheads. Between the two days I spent around 3-4 hours shooting. I think once my bow is completely tuned I probably need to just practice short runs. I am confident enough in my skill level now to not second guess my self when a whitetail comes in range. I pretty much know that I will hit where I am aiming or at least very close to it (with in an inch or two) 98% of the time. I put them in the kill zone of the 3D out to 40yd every time. I have noticed I get tired and start becoming a little inconsistent but, I get almost obsessed with trying to get it right even though I am tired, sometimes to the point of getting frustrated with myself. I feel like I need to be able to shoot for hours on end and stay as accurate as I was with the first 75 shots but, at the same time I understand that my accuracy will start suffering after 80 or so.

Everyone on here knows I shoot a lot.
    This is how much: I started off last September barely able to draw 50lb for more than 20 shots non stop. I am not a week guy, just never shot a bow before. Since then, the bow I have now is a 70lb bow and I am up to 67lb as of today. I shot over 150 shots with it set at that and probably 20 before I turned it up. My accuracy suffered after 80 or so but, I feel like I could turn the bow all the way up to 70lb and shoot a good 50-75 shots before my back would feel it or my form would really suffer. I have shot as many as 800 shots in a week and from January to May I shot no less than 200 a week and tried to stay in the 500 a week neighborhood. It was normal for me to shoot on and off all day and shoot 200+ just on a normal Saturday. I bought a Hurricane new bag in April and now the center dot is worn so much you can't see it past 35yd. On the deer vitals side you can no longer read the words and the bag is starting to not hold the arrows.

My best shooting sessions have been 20-30 minute sessions every couple days. I believe I will start focusing on quality of the session now rather than the quantity. Maybe even drop to one or two 30 minute sessions a week. That should be around 40-50 shots a session.

Your opinions and or comments are greatly needed and appreciated on this subject.

2. clee

clee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's a butt load of shooting. If you love it, I don't see it hurting you. Assuming your shoulder holds up. I shoot around twice a week around 50 shots a time. And sometimes not even every week. It kind of goes in spurts.

3. Boodaddy

Boodaddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The only problem with shooting that much and continuing to do so when you're tired, is how easy it is to form bad habits. You'll be trying to compensate for your flaw and complete another mistake over another. Shoot until you're tired then go in and admire your bow! Continuing to shoot like that may start showing up in your normal shooting routine. Yikes!

4. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do the same. I'll shoot some in the morning before work in my back yard at 20yd then somemore after work inside my shop at 30yd and then maybe again when I get back home. I do this for practice and strength training but I will take a couple of days off each week to let the muscle rest. When I do I always come back much stronger.
    I too started out with my bow set around 60lb and now have it up to 70lb comfortably.

5. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All I can say stick is you can never shoot to much. You know when your tired and when to take a break.
    Alot of people don't shoot enough. Then blame it on everything but the lack of practice when they miss.

6. UPbowhunter

UPbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only shoot 3 times a week. 12-15 arrows a day. I went thru a long spell of target panic years ago. I was like you I shot alot and am a perfectionist, bad recipe for target panic. My way of not haveing a relapse, is short good sesions, and concentrateing on the things I need to work on. Flyers are when I need to shut it down, for the day.

7. BoneCollectorWV

BoneCollectorWV Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Short and sweet is the best method. Mix in a long session every once in a while, but most bad habits I see developed are from shooting too long, getting tired, and losing their form. "Perfect practice makes perfect."

8. Hogwire

Hogwire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 59, I only got so many shots left! I don't shoot all year. I have a lot of confidence and the bows they're making nowadays shoot like rifles. Our opener is Oct 1, I'll start shootin in Sept., how much depending on if I get new rest, arrows, etc. I also shoot out of my stand all season at least one arrow a sit at various targets and distances to keep my confidence up. I find that if I shoot more than 50 arrows a time I get tired and my groups open up. I popped a tendon while drawing my bow a couple of years ago and have bursitis so I have to be careful.

9. rockinchair

rockinchair Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds like you've already got it figured out, sir :)

10. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Practice doesn't make perfect.

Perfect practice makes perfect.

Like others have said, I think shooting too long can lead to bad habits.

11. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I only take 1 arrow outside and I shot it, go get it and repeat. I use to shoot ALOT everyday, and everyweek...3-D on the weekends etc...

Now my favorite shot is this....I set my bow and 1 arrow outside at 40ish yards, and go for a run. I finish by running very hard the last 1/4 mile or so straight to my bow. Pick it up and shoot. That is about as close to buck fever as I can simulate. You will be suprised at how good your 40 yard group really is...

I think if you are getting good practice, 1 arrow or 1000 arrows does not matter. If you love shooting, shoot. I just do not enjoy archery as much as hunting anymore, and sometimes that sucks.