Scent Eliminator sprays

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 07Tiger, Jun 29, 2011.

1. 07Tiger

07Tiger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know I'm going to get multiple opinions, but what do yall think is the best scent eliminator spray? I'll take all opinions. Thanks

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

AND try to stay downwind of this....

[​IMG]

3. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The best i used i made , with distilled water , peroxide and baking soda , now i buy two gallons of Scent Shield from The Sportsmans Guide at $11.97 a gallon , and i add a 1/4 cup of baking soda to each , it lasts me all year , till next year , its well worth the price , Baking Soda is the key to scent prevention no matter how you look at it .......heres the link http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=351062

4. 07Tiger

07Tiger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know to do your best to stay down wind, that is not always possible. I'm just trying to cover my a$$ as best I can. And I know nothing will completely cover you're scent.

5. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    LOL....i didnt say anything about being down wind i think you got me mixed up with Virginiashadow's post

6. 07Tiger

07Tiger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know, I was just quoting you since you were quoting him. Just saying. Thanks Hoosier

I do believe these work to some extent. I've had deer walk straight to me from down wind.

7. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    spray

I think scent away and then primos silver and then homemade

8. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use baking soda for washing my clothes and apply dry on them in my scent bag. For the field I use vanishing hunter by buck fever synthetics, it's the only scent product on the market that you can apply directly to your skin after showering and you can even gargle with it, no harm done if you swallow it either.

9. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've read a couple of articles where independent tests were conducted on all of the big name sprays (Scent away, Scent Killer, Primos, DDW, etc.)

The tests concluded that Scent Away did the best with a homemade brew coming in second.

The tests seemed very unbiased and I actually switched from Scent Killer to Scent Away. I can't really say I've noticed any difference though. Same price, different bottle.

10. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Make your own. It work very well and then you wont be afraid to use a lot of it because of the cost :)

11. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lets hear your recipe?

12. Iowa Bowhunter

Iowa Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    x2...

13. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    When I make mine I use two 32oz of peroxide 1/2 cup of baking soda and top it off in a gallon jug with distilled water ....it works damn good ....and I also started using a. Tabble spoon of chlorine stableizer in my mixes

14. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    You can make a gallon for around $3.00

15. ZachCL

ZachCL Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really think that scent away works pretty good, do I know for sure no but I use it and have had good luck with it.

16. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1 qt peroxide
    2 qt distilled water
    1/2 cup baking soda
    1 oz hunting shampoo

mix until backing soda dissolves, pour into a clean jug, let sit fit a couple days, make sure cap on jug is loose because there will be pressure from the peroxide and the backing soda mixing.

I use this on all my clothes but use scent a way for all my equipment. The make your own leaves a little bit of white film on things.

I also use chlorophyll during the season to descent my body...

17. djandy

djandy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now that the season is near, I will again post the recipe I use for home made scent killer that works and is cheap to make!

Ingredients for Scent Killer:

16 oz. (2 cups) Peroxide ( yes, I use the brown bottled stuff)

16 oz. (2 cups) Distilled Water or water from a dehumidifier

¼ cup baking soda

1 oz. On non-scented shampoo (I use Hunters Specialties green shampoo)
    (Or adjust amounts to whatever size you make accordingly)

Let sit for several days (1 gallon milk jug works good with lid loose) This recipe is also good for removing blood from your hands in the field after dressing your critter! No dried blood, presents a better image!

Here an idea for some scent free 'baby wipes'...

mix up a batch of scent killer as per instructions above...

take a roll of heavy duty paper towels (Bounty, Scott, etc..not the 49 cent cheapies)

cut the roll in half with an electric knife so you have 2 short rolls of paper towels(don't try a regular knife... it doesn't work). Pull the cardboard tube from the middle of the half roll

Find a rubbermaid or tupperware container big enough to hold the 1/2 roll of paper towels (and with a good sealed lid).

Put one of the 1/2 rolls of paper in the container, pour in the scent killer, let the wipes soak up the scent killer, keep covered tight so they don't dry out. Because the inner cardboard tube is out, pull the paper towels out the from the middle like a kleenex!

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The thing about scent killing sprays it that's its very difficult to really know if they're working or not. Sure, we use them in the field and through trial and error believe they're either working or not but we don't know for sure. It's not like we can ask the deer if they smell us.

Keep in mind that scent killing sprays need to do several things. First, they need to kill any existing odors. This includes both our human scent as well as foreign odors (gas, smoke, food, etc.) The second is that they need to prevent human odors from forming during our hunt.

Killing existing odors is a relatively simple process as far as the concept of odor elimination goes. There's a ton of products out there that can neutralize just about any odor you can think of. So let's assume that pretty much any spray can do that. You can test this for yourself in a variety of ways by applying the product on a piece of clothing with a noticable odor and then seeing if the odor goes away. If you can still smell it after the scent eliminator has been applied, then the deer can too.

With that said, the second part of the scent elimination process is a little more tricky. This is the prevention of new odors from forming during our hunt. The best way to test these products is to see how well they work on the bacteria that causes odor. If they can not only kill existing bacteria but also prevent it from growing back then the product is working. Now this test is very scientific and can be proven using actual science. I know there have been several studies of this nature done and the results are rather surprising. Some of the bigger name products actually do little to nothing to kill existing bacteria or prevent it from growing. From what I've seen the home brew scent sprays are the same way. Sure, they may eliminate scent that's already existing but they don't help keep it from coming back.

Remember, during our hunt our skin is constantly emmitting gases that contain odor. If you can control the bacteria that causes much of that odor, you can significantly reduce your scent output.

19. AZChokester

AZChokester Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use scent away. I buy the clothes wash and the spray.