Peep suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sticknstringarchery, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it may be time to replace my string. I cant keep the pee straight for anything on my string. it turns constantly. i have tied and retied my D-loop Even tried turning the string a couple times and its just as bad. The peep I currently have is one of those stupid cheap ones that splits the string three ways and I hate it. I had a tube on my last bow but I don't want one on this bow. I shoot so much I can't keep tubes on them. I only hunt and don't plan on any 3D shoots any time soon but, if I get the chance I will jump on it to shoot in one. I hunt mostly low light areas too if that makes any difference. I think I like a smaller peep but, I shoot with both eyes open now so I'm not sure if that matters so much. Any suggestions? Brand, size and what not?

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You wanna keep your peep diameter the size that centers perfect on your sight ring , for instance my Hogg-It is a 1 5/8'' sight housing and a 3/16'' peep is perfect , My AXT Primal has a 2'' housing and a 1/4'' peep is perfect ............i use Meta Peeps

3. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What bow are you shooting right now? also, how many shots are on the strings.

4. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I have a PSE Deer Hunter. I have posted about it before. It is not the regular PSE Deer Hunter. It has big cams and 70lb draw weight instead of the small cams and 60lb limbs. It is shooting 265fps consistantly. I have no idea how many shots are on the string. I have probably 1,500 shots on it myself and no telling how many before me. At full rest I have noticed the serving that goes around the string where it starts to round the top of the cams looks like it is spreading. Its not tight like the rest of the serving in that area. When at full draw the string has a swervy look to it instead of being straight at that same point. Its set at 65lbs. I wouldn't think this is normal for the string to look like that is it? I want a good peep. I don't want to have any excuse exept human error when it comes to opening day.

5. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    More than likely it's your string. PSE has a nasty tendency to build terrible strings. If you look into a set of high-end strings you will never had to worry about peep rotation once the string is broken in

6. Boodaddy

Boodaddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Red Eye peep from EP are awesome. They changed the design on them to keep them from jacking the string up, although I've never had a problem.

7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Make that two for the Meta Peep.

8. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If your peep is turning inconsistently and never lining up, its your string. Two things about strings. Either it was a poorly made string that is constantly stretching, or it is worn out. That rotation you're seeing is a result of strands in the string stretching.

Order a set of high quality strings, from someone like Vaportrail or Winners Choice for example. They are pre stretched before being built and once you shoot about 50 shots out of your bow, they'll be settled completely and not rotate.

As for peeps. A lot of guys are using the G5 meta peep. I did and am trying a new peep called a Red Eye right now and so far, I like it. Another popular, tried and true peep is the Fletcher Tru Peep. They all have the same design, splitting the string in two places and are angled in the string make them square to your eye at full draw.

But none of the above peeps will work for you until you get that string taken care of.

9. Sooner

Sooner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1/4" G5 meta peep for me. I tried a 3/16" Fletcher recently but couldn't get use to the smaller size

10. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I am and have been pretty certain it was the string. Since this is only the second bow I have replaced the string on and the first was an old bear with the tear drop style string, how much does a string usually cost? If the cost of the string, peep, D-loop, NAP Apache and string silence/dampner is more than $150-$200 I will just buy another bow and trade in all of my old bows. I have 3 PSE's and the old Bear I could trade in. My bow is older and I have been looking for a reason to justify to my wife getting a new bow now rather than waiting until next spring. lol

11. MeanV2

MeanV2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First & foremost make sure you have a top quality set of strings on. Many OEM strings just don't make the grade.

As far as peeps I started using Red Eye peeps last year and they are Awesome. I've sold 100's of them and feedback has been above par. :)

Dan

12. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You'll be looking at a little over a hundred for a decent string, plus the cost of having the shop put it one for you.

Peep: $5-$20
    NAP Apache: $50-$60
    String Silencers: $5-$15

13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Take off the peep. Problem solved. :) I shot without a peep sight for years with my compound and killed deer out to 30 yards without any issue. I bet you would do even better than me.

14. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Im guessing new string time also. If twisting your string is not working then its most likely a worn out string. I have had good luck with G 5 meta peeps, and currently have a Red eye on with no issues. It was brought to my attention that alot of people were having issues with the red eye cutting strings, but they have since redone the string groove on the new ones. If you get one make sure you measure off your old set up, center of peep to center of nocking point and mark string before laying it in. (Dont slide it up and down) just to be sure you dont cut string.

15. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a RAD on my bow that split the string 3 ways. Then I changed it out to a G5 META peep after I broke in my string. Works good so far. I have heard a lot of bad things about the RED EYE peeps cutting string, I would stay away from them.

16. ncnat

ncnat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Since I got a new bow several months back and had to go back to using a peep I went with the Micro String Splitter. Works very well in low light. Raised my night bow shoot score by 39 points using this peep over the Meta Peep that I used last year.

17. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I am still up in the air on the peep. As of right now it looks like I will go with the G5. I am still not sure what size peep I need though. I am having Rodney Galloway from Strikeforce Strings to build me and my wife a set of custom strings (neon green and black for me and neon pink and black for her). I will be ordering them this week. Probably Tuesday. This guy builds some really awesome strings and wont break the bank.

18. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    What sight are you using? that will determine what size peep you need. Generally speaking a 3/6" or 1/4" will cover everyone

19. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I am currently using an older True Glow. I am not sure what model is. It is kind of an olive green color if that tells you how old it is. for right now it works but, thats the next upgrade after the rest. I am buying all new accessories for my bow now so that when I buy a new bow next year I just switch all my new accessories over that I am use to the new bow. Less money out of pocket and all I am having to get use to is the bow not the entire package. I will measure the sight ring and post the size in a little while if I have time.

20. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You could get a set of one of the best IMO, Vaportrail for about 70.00. The shop who puts them on should only charge you a couple of dollars to install them.

I believe my local shop installs them for free if you purchase from them.

To the OP, in all honesty, the strings and cables should be one of the most important things you consider on any bow you buy. The are what holds the thing together, keeps the cams in synch and time and keeps you from the head ache of spinning peep sights in the first place. I learned that way back when I got into shooting heavily and buying new bows all the time. Strings are everything.