What site is on your primary bow?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sticknstringarchery, May 20, 2011.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Brand and model? What yd are your pins set at??

Mine is a cheap True Glow. I have my pins set at 20, 30, 40, 50, 75. It works for now but, will not be going on a new or newer bow when I am able to buy one. Just curious to see what everyone else is using these days.

2. longtine

longtine Newb

Dislikes Received:
    G5 optix 30...40...50...60-80 floating pin

3. bowhuntjoe

bowhuntjoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    True glo Micro Brite 3 pin, 20 30 40 yards. Not a bad sight for the price.

4. Obsessed1

Obsessed1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use an Axcel 3000 target bracket and HHA 0.019 scope housing with a 4x lens kit. Yes, the homemade sight tape is duct tape all calibrated to a laser. The side of the sight in the picture was taken on my 2005 Switchback shooting Gold Tip Pro 5575. I have since bought a Z7 and put the sight on it and I get an additional 20 yards range (140) with the faster bow and Gold Tip Pro's. I tried a little different strategy last year with the Z7 by adding another sight tape to the other side of the sight. That sight tape is calibrated to much heavier Easton FMJ arrows with heavier heads. I'm getting about 110 yards out of that setup before the arrow comes in contact with the bottom of the scope housing. So now I can shoot two separate arrows of vastly different weights using the same sight but separate tapes.I have used multi pin setups and various adjustable and have settled in on this sight. In hunting situations, I just leave it set at 30 and aim a touch low/bottom of the kill zone if it's a short shot and hold in the middle for longer shots. If it is a real long shot it would be wise to know the exact distance so that scenario always get lasered and the sight gets adjusted for the shot. The only way I practice is shooting from various unknown distances requiring lasering and adjusting the sight.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  5. the mechanic

the mechanic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    mine is an HHA DS-5019 with 2X lens kit. works for me.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Flashpoint, by Black Gold. 20-30-40-xxx

7. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Trophy Ridge hit-man 7 pin sight. set at 10-70 yards

8. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Obsessed one and the mechanic, you both have lens kits on you sights. I have not yet seen one in person. I wear contacts and after 35yd or so, I find it hard to focus on a spot on my targets and i just had a eye exam done in January so I know my prescription is right now. I know that there are "scopes" for bows, is that what the lenses are? Do these lens act as scopes and can you install them on any sight or do you have to find a sight that has these as an option? how do they work in the woods? are there any draw backs with sun glare? When I am shooting at my 3D buck out of a stand, I find it easier to focus thus my groups are tighter. I still would like to be more confident at farther ranges.

9. Obsessed1

Obsessed1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm like you, I wear contact lens because when I hit about 38 years old my eyesight went South. I installed my lens kit to allow me to see much better at distance because I love to practice long distance shots which greatly improve your shooting at normal hunting ranges. I have tried various powers of magnification and settled in on 4x for now because I tend to hunt from the ground so shot averages are longer than a tree stand hunter. It is worth mentioning that I had to install a peep clarifyer in a specialized peep. You can change out the clarifyers (very nice to know since youreyesight changes) until you find one that matches your eye to where you can clearly see your magnified target while still being able to see your pin clearly. The only drawback is when it is raining you'll want to remove the lens ( 1 screw ) and remove the clarifyer from your peep and replace it with what ever size peep hole you want. I use a 1/8 most of the time because I target shoot but I have several larger sizes I use in low light rainy situations. I'm sure many will think it would be hard to see objects up close at 4X but that simply is not true. I keep both eyes open and it's just like looking with a 4X rifle scope. They make these lens in various sizes, power and quality.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  10. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same sight on all my bows: Spot Hogg Hunter Hogg-it with large pin guard, Hogg Wrap, and custom-configured pins with the top being a green .29, then alternating yellow .19s with green .19s for the final three pins.

[​IMG]

11. Boodaddy

Boodaddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On mine, I have a Armortech HD 5 - Pin sight. Yardages on first pin are 20-30 yards then 40, 50, 60, & 70 yards following.

12. the mechanic

Dislikes Received:
    i dont know about the other brands of sights, but for the HHA you have to buy a specific kit. mine takes lens kit B from HHA. ive heard that alot of target sights have kits from different companies and they just screw in, mine has a housing and an o-ring that are held in by two allen screws. some sights are referred to as scopes, but the have actual red dot scopes for bows, just like you would see on a crossbow or rifle. my boss said he hunted with one years ago, and the only draw back was it was heavy.

i like the HHA because i can dial in exact yardages. i can dial from 25-80Yds just by turning a dial, no pin gapping or aiming high/low. just range and dial, simple as that. i settled on the 2X because we(the guys i hunt with) do a lot of spot and stalk/still hunting and i didnt want anything too powerful.

13. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a G5 rock sight. All pins are .010 and set at 25, 40, 50, 60. I'm very happy with it. Very much worth a look, especially features for the price.

14. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I thought about using one of these sights in the past but, didn't understand a few things on them, so I didn't bother looking into them enough to wory about it.
    This lense thing has once again sparked my interest though. Couple more questions if you don't mind though. How do you adjust these sights for the shot in the stand? I have seen and actually have an older adjustable sight that you use a finger on your grip hand to move a slide but i have never mounted it and tried it. It was given to me by an old coworker. It wouldn't work on my old bow and I haven't thought about trying it on my new one. The other question I have is how hard are they to sight in?

15. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Copper John Dead Nuts Mk III 5 pin on all my hunting bows; simple, bright, nuke-proof.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  16. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Viper Predator MIcroTune Pro, Green/Yellow, Top 2 pins .019, bottom 3 .010.

17. Hoythews71

Hoythews71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Black Gold Vengeance, and I plan on keeping it a LONG time! Love this sight!

Its a 5 pin, but I only use 4, 20-50.

18. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Black Gold, I can't remember the exact model but I'm pretty sure it was a flashpoint. It was before they made their plastic turn purple.

My bow is old enough that I can go 20-30-40-50-60 with the pins.

19. the mechanic

Dislikes Received:
    Its easy enough to tune, there's two ways to do it. 1st is to group at 20yds then 40yds, mark the sighting tape at both and subtract the smaller number from the bigger number and reference that to the chart and pick the tape you need. 2nd is to do the same, but at 20 and 60. The second is more precise. It works on parabolic curves, you're basically matching a ballistic chart to your bow. I plan on ranging different items by my stand and picking a good middle ground to work with, or if I have enough time I'll be able to turn my dial, I doubt it though. It works extremely well on the range, I can walk to any distance, range it, dial it in amd hit where I want it. If you have any more questions if be more than happy to answer.

20. French Creek Outdoors

French Creek Outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The Copper John Dead Nuts 3 with a 6x lens