Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Predator Camo

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Born2Hunt, May 6, 2011.

1. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I really like the camo. However my only concerned with this camo is that the majority of it is fleece should i worry about burrs and stuff sticking to this or is this material avoid that issue?

My second question where can i purchase this camo besides online i would like to try the clothing on before purchasing it (just to make sure it fits)

fill me in on your guys thoughts

2. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you buy from Predator's website, you can buy 100% cotton. I've got five or six outfits in that fabric straight from them; it's not bad at all on picking up burrs or stic-tites or anything. www.predatorcamo.com

The absolute BEST stuff in Predator for deflecting burrs is the old Wolfskin from Gray Wolf Woolens (again, I've got five or six outfits in this fabric as well...) It's pretty much the best fabric you can buy, period... IMO. www.graywolfwoolens.com

The NEW Wolfskin is closer to a tight-knit fleece, and it WILL hold a lot of stic-tites and burrs... NOT a good choice for going into an area where you're likely to encounter a lot of that type stuff. I spend a lot more time back at the truck picking stuff off me when I'm wearing that fabric.

3. midwestshedhunters

midwestshedhunters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wore predator camo last season for first time, ordered from cabelas
    I felt invisble in the stand - had my best season yet
    cant wait to purchase more,but like you sure would be nice to try on

4. Born2Hunt

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking for more responses please help

5. Lifesadrag

Lifesadrag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have several items in deception and fall grey. Great patterns IMO. If you order the stuff from Predator my experience is that the stuff runs a bit small. Either that or I haven't checked a scale lately!

6. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Well said, I have bought predators new stuff from their website that is not cotton. More like wolfskin, just not as pricey or durable.

7. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bought all of mine from predators website and have tons of it..... order your uppers a size bigger, and the pants as the website says! I wear Large pants and they are a touch big, I wear a 34x34 and length is great for the first time, waist is perfect and comfortable as well. I will prob never buy another camo, love the pattern and concealment, plus the comfort is unmatched!

8. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have bought from the website and they have been good about taking things back for size changes. It's only happened once. I find that the charts on the website are very accurate. You really can't go wrong buying the non fleece/non GWW from the site, for the price it holds up really well.

9. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is Wolfskin a cold weather fabric? Its plenty hot here in Cali during our archery season

10. Born2Hunt

Dislikes Received:
    now does this camo pick up burrs and stuff

11. JayB22

JayB22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the predator fleece jacket and pants. I've only used the jacket so far but love it. I haven't had it out in the burrs yet so couldn't tell you how it works with those. The fleece is very warm and comfortable. It even comes with a powder belt type design that I thought would be good for windy days. So far I'm loving the camo pattern in the woods too. I don't think you can go wrong with any predator that you buy.

12. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do they make stuff that is good in rather cold (0-30 degrees)?

13. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you're wanting something that'll stand up to that extreme cold (zero to -30 is extreme to me) AND want it in Predator, there's only one place I know of to get something that'll fit the bill: Gray Wolf Woolens.

I've got a heavy wool bomber jacket that's insulated with ComforMax (wind barrier) AND Liteloft (40% warmer than 200-gram Thinsulate). This combination gives you a very light weight set of clothing that is super warm and will work in most cold-weather situations.

It may not hurt to give Jeff (owner of GWW) a call and tell him the temps you're planning for and see if he suggests building you something with extra Liteloft in it...

14. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The new Wolfskin XT from Gray Wolf is SWEET!

15. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've used some predator camo in the past, and honestly, I've noticed no difference to any bargain-basement camo pattern that you can find at your local Walmart. You'll still get busted with the same or similar frequency. It doesn't make you invisible.

While it didn't work any BETTER than its competitors, it didn't work any WORSE, either. In that regard, I'd use it again, but here's why I won't be using Predator Camo again anytime soon:

The biggest problem with Predator Camo is finding quality clothing that fits right and stands up to the rigors of a normal hunting season.

IMO, the clothing that I bought from Predator's site wasn't the best design. The coat was a little short, and the pants were just standard BDU's. Nothing special. I feel like the coat was made for a short-armed, pot-bellied guy. It was sloppy and bulky. I wash every time between hunts, and after 20-30 washes, they really started fading and showing their age. Their cold weather linings are comparable to Walmart clearance rack cold weather gear. Adequate, but barely.

Gray Wolf sells custom-cut clothing, but his prices are absolutely nuts. I'd never pay that much for a hunting suit. Never. And to be honest, it looks like he's basically selling BDU-style clothing, also. I'm sure they'll work fine, but I can find stuff that "works fine" for 1/4 of the price. His coats were almost mirror images of the coat I got from Predator's site.

Until a company like Under Armour bites the bullet and buys the rights to the pattern, and puts it on clothes that actually fit and perform in the elements, I'm going to stick with whatever I find in the Bargain Cave at Cabela's.

Put it this way: If you don't kill a big buck this year, it won't be because you were (or were not) wearing predator camo.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  16. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For extreme cold, buy a heater body suit in predator camo. I purchased one last season and I feel it's the best clothing investment for hunting I've ever made. Just another option.

17. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally believe Predator is far superior than anything else out there, and that means not getting busted as much. They look at you, but they don't have the same reaction. If they aren't freaking regardless of what you wear, then you probably are hunting non-pressured deer. Hunting public land in Michigan wearing blob camo, and switching to Predator was like flipping a switch. Night and day difference.

18. HCBow

HCBow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I completely agree with you on the predator camo issue. I have tried expensive camo and found that more money doesn't always mean better camo. I found a place here in MI that sells a bowhunt package (camo jacket & pants plus a full fleece layer and a full scent block layer) for a real decent price. Tried it out last few years and I am going to stick with them.
    http://www.hycreek.com/Stealth-Series-Ultimate-Bow-Hunting-Outfit-p/hsbow010.htm