Tips for the wind

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kalebsdad, Apr 23, 2011.

1. kalebsdad

kalebsdad Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just getting into archery, totally addicted.... love it, was feeling pretty good about my progress, that is until I shot today, pretty windy...... couldn't hit anything, had trouble holding steady, pretty frustrating...any tips on how to improve shooting in the wind..... Thanks

2. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ya Don't...lol

3. kalebsdad

kalebsdad Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok..... so it's not just me........

4. christiejc

christiejc Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site.No i cant shoot for anything in the wind either.All that happens when i shoot when its windy is i have to look for my arrows and end up getting poison oak all over me.:o

5. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot in the wind as much as you can. Shoot in the cold as much as you can. Shoot in the rain as much as you can. Shoot in every adverse condition you can and in full winter camo on one foot in the driving wind and rain...

I have the same issue too. I can't hold steady in the wind. But the deer don't care if it's a little too windy for a bowhunter. So I shoot in the wind as much as I can.

6. MHSfootball86

MHSfootball86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try to anticipate when the wind will calm a little. I live in NE ohio and there is always some sort of adverse weather. I have kinda of learned the feel for when a gust of wind is going to end and as it does i try to make sure i am set on the target so i can release right as the gust dies and before another one starts

7. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Quoted for truth.
    But if you're inside cause it's too windy to shoot, you'll never know this.

8. kalebsdad

kalebsdad Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am in east central Indiana, live out in BFE, we get some wind comming across these fields.....LOL, This is pretty much what I figured just gonna have to deal with it as best I can, my wife was with me when I was shooting, I told her I thought the wind was messing with me, she said to wait for a better day to shoot, my responce was " yeah, I bet the wind will not be blowing in October and November " lets just say the look she shot me spoke volumes....LOL

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Only real tip I can offer- when it's windy do NOT try to shoot with your quiver on your bow and full of arrows. It only serves to act like a sail and catch the crosswind, which throws you off even more.

Aside from that, just what everyone else said - practice, practice, practice.

10. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I passed a 190 class buck 2 years ago on-video at 40 yards partially because the wind was whipping, and we had heavy rains. The only arrow you will really regret shooting is the one that you can't take back... Restraint is our duty and the greatest respect for the animal!

11. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As far as being steady goes, thats a hard one other than taking the quiver off and practicing. I own a quiver but it never gets mounted to my bow period. Not even on the way to the stand. It has a string tied to it and I keep a screw in step to hang it on. as for the arrows, use the 2" veins instead of the longer 4" fletched arrows, that is if you aren't now. I am planning on purchasing the Starflight FOB's with the next dozen arrows I buy. I have heard they work very well in the windy situations. Google them and watch the videos. The only negative to them is the only rest you can use is a drop away but, I plan on purchasing one of those soon also. Best thing though is still practice.