Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Kitchen Cabinets - Need Info/Opinions Please

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by bz_711, Apr 14, 2011.

1. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Starting process of replacing kitchen cabinets/counters. We want White cabinets.
    Any thoughts on pros/cons of painted wood vs. "thermofoil" cabinets?
    Any experiences with either you'd like to share?

4 kids and a kitchen that gets used heavily...so wear/tear, cleaning, touchup are considerations.

What would you do?

2. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I painted my parents wood cabinets white probably 5 or 6 years ago, and they still look good. Cleaning them is simple, just a paper towel and water and most stuff comes right off. Also, if one of your kids decides to draw on them with permanent marker or something, all you have to do is repaint it lol.

3. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd go with custom wood.

4. JayB22

JayB22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think it would all depend on your budget. If you want cabinets to make it through your kids growing up than replace them with something a little fancier I would just go with something fairly cheap. I personally don't like the idea of painted solid wood cabinets. You can get cheap manufactured wood to paint as there is no reason to paint over a nice piece of wood. If you have wood cabinets and just want to paint them than that would be a good idea as it would be more cost effective and easier.

What's making you want to go white? With kids wouldn't the white get dirty and show the wear a little more than a wood cabinet?