Do you have a Hoyt Rampage XT review?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Cedar, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Cedar

Cedar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have read a bit online and in the magazines about the Rampage XT, but there seems to be very few "real guys" out there that have one or have spent a fair amount of time shooting one. If you have, please take a moment to share your thoughts....good or bad. Seems like an outstanding bow at a decent price. I bought my last "new bow" 10 years ago when the solo-cam was the best technology in the world. My...how things change!

Thank you for reading and sharing your opinions :)

2. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've put more than a few arrows through the Rampage XT. My brother actually changed his order from an Assassin, to a Rampage. It's a much better bow, for his type/style of shooter/shooting.

It's a smooth drawing bow. Very little torque. Pretty defined back wall with no real humps. Smooth through the valley. It's fairly quiet, although, I shot it with nothing more than a rest, on it, and, with random/various arrows.

I was only able to shoot it at a few yards, but, i was impressed with it. I ended up choosing the Assassin, but, it was a close race, between the 2. For a lesser skilled shooter, or, a shooter that does not shoot often and has less than stellar form/release, the Rampage is a better choice.

I really dont see any negatives aside from the camo pattern resembling the early 1930s couch that was in my great grandmothers estate, prior to her passing(it's hideous).

In black(how my brother ordered it for a small up charge of $100), it looks siiiiiiiick !!

I think it's a great bow. It's pretty much the same exact bow as the higher end bows, using the same cam system, but, with a different riser.

3. GoBowOrGoHome

GoBowOrGoHome Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Rampage XT. Same components as Hoyt's higher end model but different riser. For me, the difference is unnoticeable. I have a nagging shoulder injury so haven't been able to shoot to many arrows through it but it is super fast and super quiet.

I shot about a couple dozen a rows at the pro shop the day I purchased it and was shooting three arrow groups tighter than any other bow I have owned or shot. Amazing bow for the money. Can't wait to hunt with it and go to 3D shoots. Got it just before Christmas. Worth every penny and a bargain for a very high quality Hoyt bow.

4. killswitch

killswitch Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I got a Rampage XT in first week of feb and less than a month later it is sitting in the shop waiting for parts. For some reasson the roller guard is chewing up the string. The pro shop ordered a new roller guard and string under warranty but could not tell me why it was doing it. Besides that the bow shoots great.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  5. Itzdown

Itzdown Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yah I shot it and decided agaisnt it for two reasons

1. It was way to hard for me to pull back

2. It is bought bare

So being new to Bows it went with an Assassin because

1. They aren't different enough to spend $300-$400 more to load out the rampage.

2. I prefered to Assassins drawback

If you already have the equipment to put on the rampage it might be better to get the rampage, but if you will have to buy all your rest,sight,etc. It probably would be wise to go with the Assassin.

(I mention the Assassin because it is very similar)

6. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I was buying my z7x there was a guy in there at the same time who just recieved his new rampage xt. Since he was in there first, they set his bow up first. When they got done he went in to shoot while they were getting mine set up. He came out 20 minutes later with 2 arrows stuck together (robin hood'd if you will). He said his groupings went from 3 inches to touching. He was shooting a superhawk.
    He seemed to give it a good review.

7. Crabber

Crabber Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Cedar! Well I'm no expert, not by a long shot, but here goes! I bought one about a week ago and have only put about 100 arrows through it. I have set the bow to 70 lbs, and my draw length is 27". I can tell you this much though, it's a very smooth drawing bow, and very quiet. I experience no hand shock at all and it is well balanced. With the 400 Gr Easton arrows I use, I have no idea of what kind of speed I'm getting but they "thump" real hard. In fact I don't shoot 20 yards too much anymore because they penetrate real deep and are a real b**ch to pull out! At 40 yards, I must have hit a broken field tip embedded in the target and busted the arrow. It looked like the point got hit with a hammer, the insert split the shaft and got bent. So I think it's got plenty of power! My only complaint is it's a tiny bit heavy, but I think that's because I'm not in "archery shape" yet!
    The long and the short of it all is I love this thing! I can't see how anyone would be disappointed.
    [​IMG]
    Okay nobody laugh, I am a beginner after all!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  8. cyree99

cyree99 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just bought one today. After shooting the Bowtech Destroyer 340, the Mathews Z7 Xtreme and finally the Hoyt Rampage XT I decided Hoyt was the way to go.

9. killswitch

killswitch Newb

Dislikes Received:
    got my bow back with new roller guard and string. I've shoot about 250 arrows and everything seems to be working great.:D

10. Cedar

Cedar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great post Crabber! Nice to see what it's really like from a "real" person!

ltzdown: I hadn't looked at the Assassin yet...always shot a Hoyt...but it's been years since I looked. My plan is to transfer as much as I can from my current bow to the new one. I've upgraded everything over the last 10 years at least once....except for the bow. That time is near :)

Thanks all for the feedback!!