Ohio Summer 3D shoot, campout GTG, whatever...???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by OHbowhntr, Feb 23, 2011.

1. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I know the NE GTG sort of fizzled last year due to some guys looking for jobs, some guys starting new business ventures, bad weather, etc...... I'd LOVE to get some guys together to shoot, enjoy each others company, maybe drink a couple beers, enjoy some good food, etc. if we could pull it off. I'm looking at the last weekend in June being pretty good, that would give anyone over this way who went to the IL GTG a little time to recover, and then be ready to do it again. I'm open to ideas, but the couple places I'm highly considering are the Cardinal Center in Marengo, OH (http://www.cardinalcentercamp.com/index.php ) , which also has one of the best trap shooting ranges in the country and a very nice campground, or down in Hocking Hills near Old Man's Cave, there is a FREE public range with a 3D course as well. We'd be looking at around $25/site for a night either place, both places are pretty nice as far as the camping, the Cardinal Center is set-up where we could camp right at the archery range, and there is also an indoor swimming pool and a little fishing pond as well. Just trying to test some waters here, I know the NE GTG was a blast, and this would also be a blast I believe, but we've got to get some guys to show up.

2. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, I thought someone might have a little interest in this..... Siman??? Josh??? Jim??? Maybe even Gary/Germ as this would be another opportunity to lose an awning.....:D

I know we have a few Ohio guys here don't we??? Even some Western PA guys, lower Michigan guys and eastern Indiana guys???

Not too far from the Columbus Clippers stadium, we could maybe even tie in a Clippers game in America's BEST minor league ballpark....:tu:

The campground is family friendly, but also private enough we could have a good time..... I may actually bring along the wife and kids, not that they'd be any hindrance to fun at all in my case, but the wife may eat all the smoked pork before we get our shares......:D

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  3. OHbowhunter

OHbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We will be taking our family vacation close to that time. If we wont be gone that weekend I might be interested.

However I could only be there Saturday morning to Sunday morning. My wife works Friday nights and Sunday nights and we have 2 children.

4. PABuck_HNTR

PABuck_HNTR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Doug, I'll see what's going on as it gets closer to that time.

5. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:

Doug,
    I'd be more than happy to return the hospitality that you've rendered the couple times I made it up that way..... Not sure I'll live up to he expectations, but I'll try!!!

6. elkhuntinut

elkhuntinut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last weekend in June is out for me as we are going on vacation for the upcoming July 4th weekend.

In looking back at the ones hosted by Doug, it was nice getting those who came together...

7. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you guys get something together im sure i can make it out with a crew this year...last week in June not so much probably. Im almost positive i wont be going to the GTG in Illionios this year.

8. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    The only other option I may have is gonna be the first or second weekend in August, as like many others, I have a pretty full schedule planned for the summer with WORK and family stuff, a lot more WORK than family fun though unfortunately...

9. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Bringing it back up...

Looking to put together some sort of GTG (get to-gether) in North Central Ohio...

Dates are flexible a bit for me, But the WHOLE month of JULY is out for me.... August, 1st or 2nd weekend could either one be workable however....

I'd like to have an opportunity to meet a few of the Ohio/PA/MI (Michigan not so much, if they're all like Germ, chasing boys around the neighborhood in their TIGHTY WHITIES, but if normal guys like the rest of us, then it's open...

The place I've scoped out has a pretty nice campground, an indoor swimming pool, a couple ponds (don't need a fishing license), an outdoor 3D course 25 targets, and an outdoor range that I believe is 60yds deep..... Day fee was $8 I believe, which allowed use of the range and course.

10. elkhuntinut

Dislikes Received:
    Doug,

I think the idea is a good one, but with our plans it may be a little tough for me. The wife and I in the stages of the consideration of building a house.

11. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Don't you already have a house??? :poke:

Just throwing the idea out there, irregardless, I'm gonna hit that area a couple times this year an enjoy myself, whether it's with a bunch of yahoo's or not, I just thought it might be cool to get a group together.....

Where you chasin' elk this fall, Rob???

12. Deerslayer7

Deerslayer7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i might be able to swing this.....a little early to give an answer , but ill let you guys know.

13. elkhuntinut

Dislikes Received:
    Just got denied Arizona, have an application into New Mexico, but after the issues with the outfitter, its a DIY hunt for me this year if I draw.

However I anticipate not drawing so we are Colorado bound !! It will be nice returning to Montrose after a few years.

As far as the GTG and the house thing, trying to find some land so I can shoot outside the back door.

However, time will tell on all of the above what happens...lol

14. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Say,
    Ohio isn't that far from Illinois. Why don't you guys put together a caravan and head out to the official GTG? Maybe a little extra shoot of annual Ill gtg vs East-sider. Maybe champ vs chump (e-sider). Maybe sweeten the pot with something? ehhhh? Not skared R U? :poke:

15. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    That weekend don't jive for me unfortunately, or I'd have considered it....

Rob,
    I don't blame you on the plan to just "DIY" rather than deal with a bad guide. I'm still undecided between 2 units....I have enough points for either, but looking at my BLM maps, I'm not sure which one I want to hunt yet.... I got a few days stilll.....:D

16. elkhuntinut

Dislikes Received:
    Some of us East-siders thought about it a few years back, but, well...here we are. For me, seems like a busy summer.
    April 5th to be exact....either way its still a win being out west in September