Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Anyone have a Tactical Shotgun?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Aaron, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking at putting together a cheap tactical Shotgun... my starting point: Maverick 88.
    (for reference, anything that will fit on a Mossberg 500 will fit on the Maverick 88)

I've already tossed quite a few ideas around, I want to give it a nice tactical look....

Adjustable AR style pistol grip butt stock.
    Shot shell saddle for the butt stock
    Heat sheild
    Cheap red dot
    Picitanny(sp?) attatchment for light.

Don't really want to mess with the fore grip. And with all the accessories I don't want to hinder the simple usefullness of a home defense piece.

Anybody have a shot gun they blinged out? Post some pics....

Also, what type of Shot are you using for home defense? 00?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  2. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mossberg 835 12g. 20" barrel.

Retractable butt-stock. Pistol grip. Weaver rail with red-dot sight. 3 point sling.

I'm not a fan of heat shields. Call me paranoid, but, in the event someone were to grab at my weapon while the barrel was hot, I'd rather not have a barrier between their hand and the hot barrel.

Also, I'd second guess your decision not to have a drop/fore grip on the pump. I've found that it's a bit more "tactical" to have this, when racking the weapon.

3. Hoythews71

Hoythews71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely!!!

I'm an active duty Navy boarding team breacher, and a tac shotty is my firearm of choice. Tough to beat the versatility and the number of accessories available for the 500 or Mav 88. A good one straight from the manufacturer is the Benelli Tac. I went with a 500 though. 20" barrel, 6 round mag tube. I shoot 00, and I personally prefer the point & shoot versatility at close range, so I don't shoot a scope or red dot.

I'd recommend a drop handle pump grip too. If you need to move room to room with the gun at the ready, it's more comfortable operating the flashlight and it's easier to bring it up if you need to shoot.

Id Add a flashlight bracket that has a breaker point (its like a blunt steel spear point) that extends past the end of the barrel. If you have someone standing in front of you, a quick, hard jab from that in the sternum will really get their attention!

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use regular old buck shot for my BB's. I just use my gun deer shotgun which is a 870 slugger with the 24' barrel.

5. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    High brass #5/#6.

It'll do the job (at close range), and you don't have to worry too much about collateral damage (beyond the wall behind your perp.).

6. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mossberg actually has some ready made tac models that are cheaper to buy than you can build yourself.

Unless you already own the 88 that is.

7. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
  8. Florida Marine

Florida Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mossberg 500 with a side saddle, pistol grip - loaded in this order of fire - bird shot, then double oought, then slugs. Thought being, warning - death and then big holes in anything/one left.

I want to get a mount for a flashlight and laser - both are critical for high stress/low vis engagements.

9. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not really 'tricked out'.
    Mossberg 500

Should do the job. If not, it's a heck of a club. :)

[​IMG]

10. gunnar

gunnar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The Mossberg® 930™ SPX-pistol grip is one FINE shotgun!

11. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Looks pretty sweet Christine!

12. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess that's the back up to the Mag lite?

13. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i just let em get a few steps up the stairs and then just shoot threw the banister or floor! i keep two near me
    bennelli nova pump & remmington 870 neither are tactical but both work well!

14. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    great point about the HIGH STRESS! i think that is prob the most under rated things to deal with in a break-in situation.

like anything else... dont forget to practice, not only shooting in diff positions, but shooting diff hands and having "walk thrus" at your residence as to what you would do.

FL i dont have to tell you or a lot of others on this site at all im sure, but our security dir at work ran the chicago swat for years and says practice is what breeds confidence when rounds are being exchanged. and be mindful of your surroundings, sheetrock doesnt stop projectiles.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  15. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought a Benelli Nova Tactical back in November. It was between that, the Super Nova Tactical, and 870 Tactical. The price was right on the Nova, and while I can't get a pistol grip on the Nova (the Supernova allows this), I'm happy with it. I may get a barrel mount light, and a saddle for the stock, but for now, it resides in my house beside my bed with the same loads Jeff has.

16. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just picked up a Remington 870 Supermag Express (2.75" shells up to 3.5" shells capacity). Primary use will be hunting and skeet. But, when it's not going to the field, it's going to be converted to home defense. I'm going to put a junior synthetic stock and tube extender on it. Then, planning to mount a tactical laser and light on it.