Gloves?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Musick17, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Musick17

Musick17 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of gloves does everyone wear while hunting?
    Im new to the sport and am in the process of acquiring everything i need.

2. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a thin pair of underarmor gloves that fit snug around my hands all year round. I have a pair for hunting and a pair for practice. I always shoot with gloves on because I always hunt with gloves on. My hands stay warm without any other garments until it gets below 35. After that I have a muff that straps around my waist that I can keep my hands in. This system has worked well for me so far.

3. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been on a constant quest to find the perfect glove. Most of the season, and keep my hands in my handwarmer pocket on my jacket with some of those chemical handwarmers. Works great until November when it starts getting pretty cold and I have to take my hands out to grab the bow or use the binos.

I like the Under Armour gloves, I just can't bring myself to spend more than 20 bucks on a pair of gloves that I know I'll lose. I might just bite the bullet and buy em for next year.

4. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been fortunate not to lose my UA gloves (I have the same problems with a lot of stuff, MM). I usually go through a pair/season. But, the last pair's lasted me 2 seasons.

I also use the hand muff when the temps get cool. Using a mechanical release or my tab, these have always worked just fine. I "think" they're about $30/pair.....if you catch them on sale.

5. Musick17

Musick17 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    have any of you used the redhead brand gloves? if so, how well do they stack up against the under armor?

6. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know they are a little pricy, but they are worth it. They have lots of grip which I really like. Also my release fits nicely around the glove and it doesn't feel bulky and uncomfortable. Another benefit with the thin tight fitting gloves is that you can still use the muff very easily. I just grab my release with my fingers and put the whole thing in the muff with my hands. So if I need to I can quickly pull out the release and it doesn't snag on anything. Hope this helps a little, just my 2 cents.

7. octhereicome

octhereicome Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use cheap walmart gloves that fit somewhat snug to my hands...then when it gets cold i just stick my hands in my pockets or down in the bibs

8. stuntriders

stuntriders Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used these last year and they were pretty good. Only thing I don't like abou them is that the velcro strap on top of my wrist was a little bulky.

http://www.mechanix.com/utility-glove

9. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i wear a thin WR type glove on my bow hand and nothing on my release hand. BUT i use a hand muff when it gets cold

10. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have Remington Light weight gloves that I wear all hunting season. They are camo!

11. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I generally do not wear gloves unless I'm ground hunting, using natural cover, or, turkey hunting- no matter what the temperature is.

Strangely enough, for a guy who doesn't usually wear them, I have a TON of gloves.

For deer, I will wear a thin pair of scent lok gloves. Kind of skin tight so there is not a lot of added influence to the release process or my grip, from cumbersome gloves.

While turkey hunting with a shotgun, I wear whatever. For turkey hunting with archery tackle, see above.

12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I find that if I spend decent money on something and the product is good, that my chances of losing the item decreases a ton because I am invested. I bought some UA gloves last year after seeing GMMAT's gloves close-up. I was hooked. I also have a couple of other form fitting gloves. I love speciality gloves.

Here are the gloves I have and the kind of gloves I want next year:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The best gloves I've found for 99% of my bowhunting needs are the wool liner gloves we were issued in the Army that goes underneath the leather shell. Used them for the better part of two decades now with no complaints...

You can pick them up really cheap at army surplus stores or a variety of online places.

I saw recently that that's what Dwight Schuh (former editor of Bowhunter magazine) wears for all his bowhunting as well.

14. BEAR09

BEAR09 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here.

C

15. stuntriders

stuntriders Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think I am gonna have to try the UA gloves for next year. Just couldn't get myself to spend the money this year.

16. MeanV2

MeanV2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I never use gloves unless it gets to single digits or below, then I use the black UA gloves. I usually have a pair of the wool glove liners Greg mentions for packing in & out :)

Dan

17. FreundoWIhunter

FreundoWIhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ya i would agree that the under armour hurlock gloves with the grippy palm and fingers are very nice cuz they make for an awesome grip to ur bow and they keep ur fingers warm wen u hav stand there motionless for a couple minutes....but when it is very very cold like it usually is out here in wisconsin i bring my little hand pouch for out in front. That combination works nice because u can just slide em out grab ur bow and shoot