My Thermal Underwear Stink!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by LAEqualizer, Jan 13, 2011.

1. LAEqualizer

LAEqualizer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Now that I have your attention, this is something I need to correct. I have 2 different brands (Rocky and another) of thermal underwear (tops/bottoms) and they all stink. I have tried numerous detergents/scent killer/baking soda/scent free detergent, etc. They still have some type of "chemical" odor to them no matter what I do.

Anyone have the same trouble?

Solution?

Another brand that you use that does not hold/have this odor?

Thanks

2. EricZ

EricZ Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same issue with my underarmour thermals. After washing they don't stink as bad, but there is still an odor. Once they've been dried i spray them down with scentkiller and hang them outside overnight. That solves 99% of the problem.

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If baking soda doesn't help I don't know what will. Baking soda usually is the cure all.

4. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can you guys further explain how you treat with baking soda. I have been curious for awhile now but just never asked. Currently I use the scent killer detergents and sprays. I have a problem with my scentlok base layers. They have an odor to them no matter how many times I wash them and no matter how long I keep them outside. It is to the point now where I dont even use them. I do use the carbon detergent with them. Will the baking soda have a negative affect since they are carbon?

5. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think most scent killer are just baking soda mixed with water and put in a spray bottle if you ask me, spray some and let it dry and it leaves a white film..
    But thats me. I think you can masks scent but after a half hour of wearing a item i think it's right back to the same old smelly thing.

Look at a used old baseball cap you just cant get the smell out of the liner wash it and wash it,but after the first ten minutes and the old musty smell is coming back.

I get new hats all the time for that reason, guess it's time for new underwear from time to time. really all i am saying is there is no such thing as scentfree maybe we can tone it down a lot with sprays and scented gum for are breath but after a hour most of are stuff is getting filled with human scent right away all you can do is use the soaps and body washes and scent killers to the best of your ability and Hunt The Wind

Good friend of mine is my farmer he is always on his and my ground with his old white pickup truck,that him and his truck smell like diesel fuel,The deer see and smell him all the time and they are not scared of him , but if he put on camo and drives a strange vehicle and the sneaks to his hunting spot the deer throw a fit. So the one smell they are used to that is not a danger for them is the farmer guy that stinks to hi hill, but the faint smelling hunter sneaking around avoid at all cost. Deer are funny like that.
    some of my best hunts is when i can have someone drive me right up to my stand drop me out the door and drive back out the way they came. the deer dont even think about the truck on my farm ground.

6. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I've been here with certain garments.

Not much you can do. I wash them with scent eliminating soap, baking soda and Primos XP unscented(just pour the liquid in my machine) which seems to work best.

I store all of my garments in rubbermaid drawers and fabric zipper closets. Running an ozone filter inside them for a bit really draws out any odors. Give that a try. You can pick up a decent ozone filter for like $30. They work.

I run a large ozone filter in the little barn where all of my hunting gear is stored. I run a small one in my vehicle and where all of my garments are stored. They work !!

7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Go buy the biggest contain of baking soda you can find and make it your friend. Mix it with water and put it in a spray bottle. Put it in your wash machine, put it everywhere. Rancid had a great thread on it in the past. I'll try and find it.

Edit: Here it is. http://forums.bowhunting.com/showthread.php?p=231578&highlight=baking+soda#post231578

I cant believe I'm going to share this secret but here goes. The answer to all your scent (or scent removal) needs can be found in your grocery store at .75 cents a box. I have been using this product for my bowhunting needs for decades. I brush my teeth with it, wash all my hunting clothes in it and then store my (air dried) hunting clothes in in. I literally pour box after box on to of my camo that is stored in Rubbermaid totes and then place the lid on and shake and tumble the tote. The white power shakes off with a flick of the wrist when I'm dressing but enough of the powder remains in the fabric for the time I'm on stand. Its cost effective and works great for all scent elimination. For boots, I would fill the insides to the top with dry baking soda and for the outside I would make a heavy paste with water and smear it on and let it sit.

Baking soda is a bowhunters friend. Now go buy a case of it but don't tell anybody our secret.

This from the fine folks of Arm and Hammer Baking soda.

Use baking soda to deodorize your garbage pail. Clean the garbage pail using a wet paper towel dipped in baking powder. Rinse the pail with a damp sponge and let it dry. You could also scatter a little baking soda into the pail before putting in a new bag.

To get rid of the smell of fish, soak the raw fish in 1 quart (1 liter) of water with 2 tablespoons of baking soda. Keep the fish in the refrigerator for an hour. Rinse and wipe the fish before cooking.

To get rid of nasty food odors, wet your hands and rub them with 2 teaspoons of baking soda.

Deodorize your fridge and freezer by putting in an open container of baking soda to absorb odors. Stir and turn over the soda from time to time. Replace every 2 months.

If you have musty odors in dresser drawers, cabinets or closets, fill the toe of a clean sock with about 3 to 4 tablespoons of baking soda. After tying a knot, hang it in the closet. To keep odor away, replace the baking soda every month.

The lingering smell of cigarettes can be got rid of by lightly sprinkling the upholstered chairs and sofas with some baking soda. Let it remain on the furniture for a few hours and then vacuum it off.

To remove odor from your dog and leave his coat shiny and clean, rub a few handfuls of baking soda into his coat and then brush it thoroughly.

Make a paste out of 1 tablespoon baking soda, salt and water. Use this to clean your cutting board. Rinse the cutting board thoroughly with hot water after scrubbing.

To use baking soda as a mouthwash, put 1 teaspoon of baking soda into half a glass of water. It neutralizes the odor as soon as it comes into contact with it.

Foot odor and the dirt that gathers between the toes can be got rid of by making a soothing bath. For this use 4 tablespoons of baking soda mixed in 1 quart (1 liter) of warm water.

To make your clothes whiter and brighter, add ½ a cup of baking soda to your usual amount of laundry detergent. Baking soda softens the water too. Add ½ a cup of baking soda during your washer's rinsing cycle to remove the smell
    of mothballs from clothes.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  8. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks very much!!! I will be giving this a try no doubt.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  9. DropTine249

Dislikes Received:
    Great post.

I already use baking soda for many of the uses listed within, not just for hunting purposes.

Anywhere I have hunting gear stored, baking soda is present, and, I swap for a fresh box every few weeks.

I use baking soda in my windicators. While I'm hunting, if my hands become sweaty, I sprinkle some into my palms and wipe my hands. This prevents bacteria from transferring to your hunting clothes/gear, as your hands contact them.

10. MeanV2

MeanV2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ahh! Baking Soda! The Ol' standby is hard to beat :)

Dan

11. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very true! I definitely use my fair share of it during bow season.

12. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Clothing, detergents and baking soda are great for external treatments. But, I think diet has a huge factor in it as well. Case in point: My wife gives me the cold shoulder treatment for a couple of days after I go eat at a Asian/Mongolian grill because I love to pile the garlic on. She says it's not from my breath. She can smell it coming out of my pours.

Has nutrition/diet been covered in regards to what cuts down on human scent excreting from pours?

13. octhereicome

octhereicome Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just keep everything that i wear hunting outside...i was down with the sent-away soap and then hang outside. usually works pretty good for me

14. Dr Andy

Dr Andy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys remember only use fresh baking soda. Baking soda "absorbs" odors eventually it will hold the stink in the fabric. Just smell the box that you keep in the fridge, after a while it smells like a stale old fridge.

That said I use it all the time in the wash, a cup to a load.

15. octhereicome

octhereicome Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a great point i overlooked, thanks!

16. DropTine249

Dislikes Received:
    I agree.

Scent blocker, showering and liquid body deodorant takes care of bodily odor enough to fool deer during a hunt. The odor that is emitted from our respiratory tract is probably our biggest enemy.

Chlorophyll Copper is a wise addition to a hunter arsenal during the archery season.

17. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  18. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    You guys must really stink bad... never had any issues with my stuff :D

19. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's another cover scent that i used. go out to a forest with pines. at the base of the tree you'll usually find the dead pine needles. scrape down bout 1" & you won't believe the overwhelming "smell of fresh earth". I take a bucket load of this and put it the bottom of my tote. let it sit for a couple of days with the lid slightly off, (to let moisture out), and everything will smell just like "earth" scent. I use the baking soda to eliminate the odor and then use the pine as a cover.

20. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, baking soda is a must for every hunter to use and abuse.

One thing I do with my totes is go out and get a few pine limbs, shred them up and place in the bottom of my tote. Pine is a very strong scent and absorbs pretty well into clothing. Combined with regular washings and baking soda, it usually keeps my clothes good.

Again, like others have said earlier, there is no possible way to be scent free. No scent lok, scent blocker clothing, scent free detergents, scentless showers, etc., will keep you from stinking to a deer. I believe the idea is to try to minimize or tone down your scent to a level that doesn't alert deer. No one knows what that means to a deer and every deer is different.

I usually wash my under garments every other week during season. Those are most prone to stinking. My outers get washed a couple of times and hung out as much as possible in the back yard. Just make sure you turn them inside out to keep the camo from fading.

Keep your scent to a minimum, hunt the wind and pray that the buck you're hunting doesn't come in on the downwind side.