Archery Targets!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by octhereicome, Jan 1, 2011.

1. octhereicome

octhereicome Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im tired of destroying my targets!
    Any tips?

2. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Rinehart 18-1

http://www.bowhunting.com/shopping/Products/Rinehart-18-1-Target__R18110.aspx

3. bassman2914

bassman2914 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you shoot something small and durable like blazers then you can take two bales of hay or staw and place them standing up so the arrow would stick out both sides if all the way in(this is important so you don't lose you're arrows:mad:). Place both of them together so that they can be separated in the middle if it goes all the way in so your arrows don't get lost. If that doesn't stop your arrows(they go all the way in and you have to retrieve them by separating the bales) then take away one and put two big but dense pillows behind it and compress it so that your fletchings would stick out even if it went all the way to the backstop(use a sheet or two of plywood). The hay will take most of the arrow's energy but the pillow will dampen it enough so that the arrow only just taps the backstop. it won't even penetrate the pillows. this worked for me and i put thousands of shots into the straw before replacing it because it got really worn out.

4. bassman2914

bassman2914 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    scape the pillow part. tried it with my new bow, it didn't care it was there. my old bow was 40lbs and <180 fps. try the two bale thing.

5. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, if a company made a target that was nearly indestructible, they'd be out of business rather quickly.

I just bought The Block and I like it. I'll let you know how well it holds up. I generally purchase a new block style target and a new 3-D whitetail every few months as I destroy them by shoot mechanical and fixed broadheads into them.

6. FreundoWIhunter

FreundoWIhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using the Black Hole for about a year now and it has held up very well.......the only problem is the white marks on the target wear away after many shots but i just spray painted over em so its good as new

7. cwoods

cwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  8. octhereicome

Dislikes Received:
    i have a rineheart deer target and a cheap block and they are about done! the deer can take a new inserts so thats fine but the block is gone and ive had expensive ones and they just get destroyed too...ive shot bales before but i dont like how your arrow goes inside the bail because i always think its going to tear them up. Thanks for all the replies guys!!

9. octhereicome

Dislikes Received:
    the rinehart 18-1 looks awesome...itnt it really small tho? i shoot lots of traditional archery and im not the best if you know what i mean ( i miss) so i dont know if thats the best thing for me haha

10. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    It is a little smaller then a block target. Personally I love the 18-1. I was reluctant to spend the money on it at first, but glad I did now. It is a very durable target.

11. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you're shooting a trad bow.....you have a couple of cheap options:

1. Make your own bag target. I have a HUGE target I use for blank bale shooting (in one of my bldgs). It's probably 4'X4'. I paid $3 for the bag (big grain bag) at the salvage yard and stuffed it with a roll of poly someone gave me. Stops my arrows (and arrows from my son's compound) just fine.

2. Check with local 3D ranges and try to buy their old targets. I have 7 of them in my yard.....and I paid $25 each for them. I'll be shootin' 'em for years to come.

12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I made some burlap bag targets this year. I paid $3 for the targets and just filled them with worn out clothes, cardboard, old material from old archery targets, etc. I shot all year on targets I made by myself for less than $10.

I would like to get a 3-D deer target. It would help me with my confidence in certain hunting conditions.

13. Jeeper Slick

Jeeper Slick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  14. MeanV2

MeanV2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If shooting field points a good quality bag target will last 1000's of shots and is well worth the money it saves you in arrows.

Shot broadheads only to tune and double check sights before crunch time. There really is no broadhead target that will take a daily pounding without a lot of damage.

After all broadheads were designed to kill! :)

Dan

15. Underdog

Underdog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a rinehart block target and it is great! holds up very very well, It has lasted me alot longer than my friends block has

16. Nate/FL

Nate/FL Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ill echo Rinehart!! I got a Rhino block for Christmas and it has about 20 shots in it but im very happy with it so far. I can see it outlasting all of the other targets Ive ever used!!

17. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The best solution that I've found for targets is FREE!!!!

I stop at either a Tractor Supply or a Rural King every now and then, and ask them for some of their blocks that they pack their trucks in.

They're probably 18x12 and maybe 12 inches thick. They give them to you for free and they'll give you as many as you want.

I built a small wall out of them (3 wide and 4 high, put up against an old shed) and spray painted dots on each one. I shoot at all of them to make them last longer, but if one wears out, I just throw a new block in place. I shoot broadheads and field tips both at them.

18. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    "I stop at either a Tractor Supply or a Rural King every now and then, and ask them for some of their blocks that they pack their trucks in."

GREAT tip, I am going to check that out Englum. Is there a specific name of the type of blocks I should be asking for at the store?

19. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It'll be the ones they pack their trailers/implements in.

They've gotten smart, around here. They charge $5/ea for them!

20. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Jeff, I need some broadhead targets.