100lb bow, which one?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by homesteadhunter, Dec 6, 2010.

1. 500 fps

500 fps Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a pristine BowTech Samson 100 lbs/30", WC strings (black/red), and a black and red Loesche grip. It has a 330 IBO I think. Back when I got it I could sit on a stool, feet suspended and pull it straight back. That was back when I used to lift a lot and shoot a lot. Now it just collects dust and I shoot 70 lbs, and like Greg pointed out have plenty of KE to kill anything I'll be shooting at here down south.

2. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think I know where you could squeeze in more practice with your bow.

3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting that nearly every veteran archer here is nicely trying to explain the fact that a 100 pound bow is unnecessary and it seems to be falling on deaf ears.

4. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly what I was thinking.

5. kskcheche

kskcheche Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting that everyone is talking a fellow bowhunter out of buying a new bow because they feel its unnecessary! If the guy wants 100# who cares, let him find out for himself if thats a good bow for him or not. I cant believe all the negativity towards homesteadhunter thats going on here. Obviously homesteadhunter feels his setup now is not good enough and wants a change. racewayking said it best, "factor what poundage of KE you are wanting to achieve and try to find the lowest poundage setup that will get you there." The guys trying to better himself and everyones telling him thats a bad idea.

6. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We see the same arguments being made even when 50-60 v. 60-70# bows are discussed.

My opinion is, if you're strong enough to pull it (your 80# effort may equate to my 50# effort), where's the rub?

The most prolific trad. tackle hunter I've ever read about hunted with (for all game) no less than 90# recurves. They say he was a stickler for perfecting his equipment, and he was constantly checking his brace height. One of the Wensel bros. said it wasn't uncommon for him to come to full draw, and then (while still at full draw) hold the bow out in front of him, to check the brace height. (nocking point, for this discussion).

Try that, sometime.....even with your letoff.

If you can handle it, shoot all the DW you can.

7. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't disagree at all but too often you see guys that say they can handle their 70# bow not really being able to handle it. My personal criteria for "handling it" is being able to let down at the same speed you draw back (compound bows). It's safer and much easier on the body. Most let downs I see don't "handle it".

8. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're right, Bruce. When I went from 70#'s to 60#'s, I loved how I could put my pin on my target and never really have to move it, during the draw cycle (never tried it at 70#'s).

Are there people (many) over-bowed? Ya think?...lol

9. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    He was asking for advice on a bow for shooting buff and bear. The experienced know that you dont need 100 lbs. for that. In fact, the 85 lb bow he currently has is overkill. And everyone was nicely making that point to no avail. If he just wants to be able to say he shoots a 100 lb. bow, then no biggie. But dont use the big game excuse as the reason. It simply is not a reason to use 100 lbs. Kind of like carrying around a heavy 10 ga. to shoot quail. Not necessary.

10. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My bow's producing in the low 40's/FP/KE. For hunting whitetials, Is everyone shooting more (sometimes 2X) than that simply a product of this overkill phenom.?

Isn't that a fair question (based on the above response)?

11. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Fair question. I think most veterans would agree that there is a diminishing rate of return the higher poundage you go beyond about 70. If tuned and shooting the proper weight arrow, you can kill anything on the planet with the 70 lb. bow. Can you kill it deader with 100 lbs.??

In my opinion, most guys shooting more than abt. 70 lbs. are probably doing it for all the wrong reasons. I could easily shoot more than 70 lbs., but 60 to 70 is plenty good, and very comfortable, even in freezing conditions, on any game.

12. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You didn't answer it, though.

13. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Answered pretty clearly for most.

Everyone? maybe not.

14. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you answered this, I'm still missing it.

My point is...why are you shooting 60#'s, when it's well documented that 40-50 will do the trick. The answer is, obviously, "because you can".

And, that's all the OP's doing.

15. MSBowMadness

MSBowMadness Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Possibly because 60-70#'s would provide that little extra "ummpphh" to blow through a shoulder, should your shot slide on you a little..

16. octhereicome

octhereicome Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pratice up and hit the animal where you want it and you will kill anything you will ever dream of. I always tell my dad that if you can do it why not? He always tells me that i can shoot a 40lb bow and kill a deer but i tell him ima shoot my 74lb monster just incase i dont hit him where i want. Buck fever gets the best of us. First off i cant pull 100lbs, but if i could and i could get an arrow to fly good out of it and it would help me humanily killl the animal i sure would be shooting it. Go ahead and get the 100lb bow but if you want to be comfortable shoot lighter weight. I shool 74lb Mathews monster and when im cold and in a stand its hard ill tell ya. Good luck man have fun shooting.

17. Live2Draw

Live2Draw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    are there currently arrows made that can be spined properly with some of the modern cam set up's at 100 lbs?
    With how efficient some of those set ups are, do you think manufacturers might put slightly less efficient cams on their ultra heavy poundage bows so that one might find an arrow that will work for it, thus making it about as effective as a 70# "speed bow"

18. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    100# bows aren't that much taboo.

100# compound bows.......maybe.

I know some guys who are shooting 90# bows, currently.......with no letoff.

19. grantbvfd

grantbvfd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you can hold a 100lb bow at draw for a few minutes and even take a step or two at full draw even in steep terrain safely, more power to you. I personally shoot at 60 just because you are usually not in the perfect situation while hunting. For bear and buffalo and other large game you are probably going to be stalking on some hillside. You may need to come to full draw behind a bush, tree, rock etc... and take a few steps to make a good shot in uneven ground. Just something to consider. I don't want to talk you out of anything you want to do. Just look at some of these things before you go ahead with it. If you can shoot a 100lb bow in a "hunting situation" go for it!

20. Live2Draw

Live2Draw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    100# recurves are not too rare, i almost bought a howatt. it was just pretty. lol
    But the arrow spine on an aggressive cam compound would worry me