deer at darkness

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by wvbowhunter21, Nov 29, 2010.

1. wvbowhunter21

wvbowhunter21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    this evening i was hunting on a big rock thats in my woods. i rattled a few times, and right when it got dark i could hear three deer comin in. but i could see em at all! i was so mad. is there anything i can do to bring em in a little earlier? P.S. im hunting after school so i dont have much time

2. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This time of year, that's pretty normal. They have been hunted for a few months now and have learned that if they stay put till it's dark, they live longer. If it gets really cold and nasty, they move onto a food source earlier than normal just to fill their bellies. Otherwise late movement is about what you get late season.

3. kskcheche

kskcheche Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Be out there all night long running round the food plots so they cant feed. Do this all the month of october so the deer get on that pattern. During the day when its all quiet they feed in peace, then WHACK! BBD!

Hey its an idea isn't?

4. Deerslayer7

Deerslayer7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    it happen to me last night....had two bucks come in right at dark...couldnt get a shot..sucked but its the way it goes...when the clocks turn, its hard to get out after work with alot of time...gotta make the best of it.

5. jeep4x4greg

jeep4x4greg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    story of my life.

with the cooling weather the hunting pressure usually drops too....so don't give up yet...you got time and they will be back as the weather gets cooler, as mentioned.

love the idea of chasing them all night :)

6. kskcheche

kskcheche Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only makes sense that they get pressured all day during hunting season, night is there only time when they feel safe, "nocturnal". If you have the acreage this could work I believe. Even a small radio playing talk radio could work as long as its keeping the deer from feeding at night. On the other hand when youve had a season like this year it wouldnt work too well, the acorns are a plenty and I mean TONS! Im sure Im not the only one thats not seeing the deer in the fields but are in the woods. As someone I know has said, "the bucks are feeding while bedded, when there done then they roll over and feed some more. Thats all the movement they seem to be making."
    Although the turkeys are really hitting the beans lately, Im just wishing the whitetail would do the same.

7. huntingcamera

huntingcamera Newb

Dislikes Received:
    maybe they become smart.

8. randypogue

randypogue Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    try on the weekend and you could get lucky i dont have time after school so