Need some help (New To Bow Hunting)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by JonBoy85, Nov 22, 2010.

1. JonBoy85

JonBoy85 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So i have been hunting for a few years now, Rifel and Muzzleloader and now im interested in getting into Bow Hunting. My problem is I dont know any thing about Bow Hunting and what kind of equipment to buy. I was told Hoyt and Mathews were good brands but every thing i see by them is way out of my price range. Just wanted some advice on what would be a good starter bow.

2. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a basic list I can provide to you, and some brand options for bows.

Items you'll need (I'm going to only go over bow specific stuff, as I suspect you already have most deer specific items.. ie calls, etc etc...)

1) Bow that is completely setup (ie, quiver, rest, sight, stabilizer, etc).
    2) Arrows
    3) Broadheads and Field tips
    4) Release
    5) Bow hook for your stand (I don't use one, but a lot of people do)
    6) A good climbing stand (I suspect you have one already)
    7) A fall arrest system (I suspect you have one of these already too)
    8) Bow string wax

Non-essential items but nice to have
    1) Binoculars
    2) Range Finder
    3) Lumenoks

That's really all I can think of at the moment. Really you need only a few essentials... those being a bow that's put together, arrows, broadheads, and a release. Mathews and Hoyt are two brands that a lot of people like to shoot. They are NOT necessarily the "best" bows. When it comes to bows it really comes down to what feels the best in your hand. When I recently got back into hunting and bought a bow I shot a lot of brands. I thought the Mathews bows were ok, as well as the Hoyt, but not worth the $300-$400 difference.

I bought a PSE Vendetta XS. List on the bow alone when I bought was $599 (you can find them for like $450 now), which is significantly cheaper than the Z7, and I felt it shot better for me. Mission by Mathews is also a good bow that's reasonably priced. There are others too, Diamond by Bowtech as one example. No one company can claim it's the "best" because you'll find just as many people that say someone else is the best. Many good bows are made at many different price ranges. For instance, someone might just be stupid, or rich, enough to buy a $2000 bow just because it has a name on it, and then make excuses as to why it's worth it because of X reason... It doesn't mean it's all that much better.

If you're looking to spend less than $800 on a built bow, I suggest you look for a used bow in the classifieds. When you get into the $400 complete setup bows you're going to find something better that's slightly used. I'm sure most people on here will agree with me on that.

Also, with the new 2011 gear just coming out, you picked the best time to find great deals. I suggest shooting a few different bows. Go into a bow shop that's reputable and give them your budget, and say something like "I want a good bow completely set up for "X" amount of dollars". That'll give them something to work with. I'd go to someone that sells more than just 1-2 brands, and someone with a range so you can shoot each bow.

At first I would go with a containment style rest (whisker biscuit as an example), an inexpensive fiber optic sight, and a cheap stabilizer and quiver. I would get good arrows, don't skimp there. Walmart arrows are not good arrows. With broadheads you'll just have the pick one. I shoot Slick Tricks 100gr standards, but there are a lot of good choices out there. Also, I'd get a release that is good, because you'll use it for a good while. I use the deluxe little bitty goose by scott and I love it. You have many choices with everything that is bow hunting, but most times more money doesn't necessarily mean better results.

Here is something to keep in mind also. Get something you'll be happy with in a couple years. If you buy a $300 bow, you will most likely decide you want a better one next year. Might as well save yourself $300 and buy a better one from the start.

Hope it helps

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  3. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    double post

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  4. OH-buckhunter-IO

OH-buckhunter-IO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    JonBoy i would suggest finding a local bow shop & try out as many bows as you can. Find one that feels good to you.Good balance in your hand, & draws smooth.That is the best advise i can offer.If the one that feels best is out of your price range some shops will allow you to make payments.Thats how i got mine.Good luck with your search.Also all of guys/gals on here cangiveyou alot of great wisdom.

5. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ....X 2