Tree stand not yours on your property

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Breckrae, Jan 11, 2010.

1. LeadHead

LeadHead Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good Advice. Had this happen to me at on some of our land that borders a hunting club. My ladder stand was set up on a tree (our property) that the fence was connected to. It overlooked our big cut over and was the only tree in the area big enough for a stand. Came to get into it and the neighbor had written a note, hung it inside a Gatorade bottle and hung it on my stand. I called the guy that evening and after a great discussion on our past year deer sightings we came to an agreement that i could leave the stand there. The tree was on was our property, so honestly, the guy had no say in the issue. His only concern was me shooting deer on their side of the fence. Funny thing is that we had the bedding ground and food plots so the deer would be on our side anyways.

Best plan would be to leave a note with your name/number. Give it a few days and if you don't receive a call then go and lay the stand down on the other side of the fence.

2. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    but he can have a say if the deer you shoot run's over the fence and you would like to get the deer you shot? why take that chance.

3. trin728

trin728 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I found a stand in the middle of my father in laws farm around the first of march. took it down and sat it next to the bottom of the tree for 5 months. so who ever had it there would get it but it was still there so i took it 3 weeks ago. well today i went to hang a new stand about 75 yards away and i saw truck tracks that should not have been there. should i leave them a note on the tree that the stand was on.
    worried that they might take my stand

4. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First i would talk to your father in law and see if anyone else has permission to hunt there... then put up a simple cable up where they drove in on the ground on and post the place, If who ever owned the stand really knows your father in law will contact him and ask for it back.

5. trin728

trin728 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thats what i was thinking. he told me he gave a guy permission to hunt there a few years back but said that no one was to be hunting there for the past 2 1/2 yrs. the stand looked to be in the tree for probably 2 yrs judging by the rust and decay of the seat. it had three screw in steps leading to the stand which was set about 5 ft off the ground. must have been afraid of hieghts. i will leave a note on the tree for them

6. hillrunner

hillrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You handled with maturity, glad to hear it.

7. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As everyone else is saying, communication with your neighbors can be key to a happy relationship. Just be happy that they set their own stand. In Vermont, posted signs mean just about nothing, fences are for stepping over, and treestands are for stealing. Being a land owner here is tough. We have had numerous stands stolen, so we started building permanent tower blinds... they cant steal them so now people just sit in them, last year 2 guys refused to get out of a stand on our land that my 70 year old grandfather was walking to, to sit in for the evening. We have gone so long without posting our land just because we would hope that people would respect our property and atleast ask for permission. But sitting in my grandfathers stand on his own land, and refusing to get out kind of draws the line... Ask for permission and 90% of the time you will get it, if they say no, they probably have a valid reason. and in the end they are the one paying the taxes so respect that. go hunt state land if you're to lazy to ask for permission

: end rant! sorry!

8. nick87080

nick87080 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Communication with your neighbors is very important. By talking with your neighbors you can develop plans for making your hunting seasons better for all the property owners, you can share trail cam pics and work on building a quality heard of deer by managing what is shot at what age and what you let walk so they will be a better buck the following year. here in Texas we have laws from the 1900's that are still in effect. Landowners here can shoot a person trespassing their property after dark. It has something to do with cattle being stolen. At our property we hunt we don't have any trouble with these types of problems. In my opinion the best thing you can do is try and talk to the neighbor if you can't get a hold of them leave a note at the house, then take the stand down and leave a note at the tree of who they can contact to get it back, this way you force them not to ignore you if they want their stand back. In all reality they should have contacted you to begin with knowing that it was half way on each side of the fence. I'm glad that i am in Texas and not Vermont (no Offense tacks) that's just so disrespectful to your grandfather... Those two guys would be on milk cartons.

9. wvarcher

wvarcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When there is a fence in place, it's just blatanly wrong to put up a stand on the "other side". Obviously he saw the fence. Be diplomatic about your first encounter with this "tresspasser". Even let him "play stupid" if he wants. Bottom line......he probably knows he's pushing it, but obviously doesn't care. People need to remember that little word "ethics"!!!! Know the definition also. Let them know where you stand and then thank them for the new stand!! Happy hunting! :)

10. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

no offense taken, i'd rather be in Texas too, as far as i know Vermont still has the worst deer heard in the country, new management tactics over the last 5+ years have helped though. Disrespectful doesn't describe that situation. had i known they were not going to get down, i would have shaken them out!

11. PSE Buck Killer

PSE Buck Killer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    X2 Exactly what i would do.

12. Martian

Martian Newb

Dislikes Received:
    tree stand,not yours

Acouple of years back, a buddy asked me if I would like to by a climber that he took off his property. I told him no , at first because I knew how he came by it, even though he was in the right. He then told me, he left the guy a note telling him of his tresspassing, and went back in a week only to find that he had re-freshed his bait pile. He took it, and I bought it. A year later, it was stolen from me on private property. Charma?