Dragging Deer?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Jake/OH, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I never dreamed this thread would get the kinda traffic it has gotten.

2. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Greg,
    A lot of the places I hunt, a game cart wouldn't be overly functional. Too much brush and other various obstacles, steep hills, downed trees, etc. I have a nice Kodiak 450, but it wouldn't get into a lot of the places I hunt either, so the deer handle is usually the BEST option, and I have only had help dragging a deer ONCE in the last 5 yrs, so you guys with your brother, buddy, dad, etc are LUCKY!!!

I've done that a few times, and in all honesty, the worst part is just getting the damned thing on the shoulders, once it's there, it's EASIER than dragging as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  3. Bogleg

Bogleg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We usually tie the front legs up between the antlers, and cut a decent length of a stick so two people can carry side by side if we can't use the cart. Rope tied to the stick at each end after it's wrapped around the deer's neck and front legs. Had several mounted after dragging this way, and have had no blemishes as a result. Most of the time we put it on the cart, even if we're hunting in the big marshes we like to hunt. With a two man operation you can lift each end of the cart up easily enough to get it over big stumps/logs, etc. The only real issue is water crossings - normally we have to drag it out and float it across a couple of deeper water spots, then we put it on the cart. Most of our hunting these days is in big marshes/swamps. It's all public land so we have to go deep to find good deer.

A cart on dry ground is awesome. But yeah, it is a challenge to get the animal on the cart by yourself. I have used a rope slung over a thick branch to raise up the front of the deer, then work the cart under it and lower the deer down before. Still easier than dragging it by yourself IMHO.

4. Mathews Monster

Mathews Monster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's why god gave us ATV's. lol
    I hate dragging deer. I also have a cart.

5. Licking Branch

Licking Branch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  6. PSE Buck Killer

PSE Buck Killer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It kinda depends where you are. My buddy and I had to get a buck out of the river on sunday and we had a hard time getting it up the bank since its almost verticle. So we inched it up, one person grabbed front legs and one grabbed rear and just pulled inch by inch until we were on flat land, then we pulled by antlers since they are almost handle shaped:)

7. KidCannon

KidCannon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    :jerry:Me personally. I like to get on my knees, pick the back legs up and wrap them around my waist. Then i'll grab the head or antlers so it doesn't snag on anything and dry hump the animal inch by inch till we are out of the woods.

And my wife wonders why I LOVE hunting :jerry: :jaw:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  8. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've used different methods over the years, but always seem to revert back to just grabbing a horn and pulling.

Oh yeah, one season, I shot a doe in this steep ravine. Well, I bought a dragging harness thing that kinda looks like a safety harness without the leg straps.

Word of advice. If you're on steep hills, DO NOT USE ONE OF THESE. Long story short... I was "attached" to this deer when it she decided to start sliding and tumbling down the hill. Me and the deer ended up piled up at the bottom in a stream before it was all said and done. Meanwhile the ol' man was at the top of the hill rolling on the ground in stitches as he watched me get dragged down the hill with the deer.

9. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well my friend shot a nice buck last night, we had to drag it dang near a half mile and that was through two fence lines a creek bed, cornfield. it dressed at 174lbs. A WHOLE new respect for people with long drags, WOW that was tough, me and him both in strong young guys were gassed, today im achy and really tired. Haha it was an experience.