Surprise Release..My take on this method....

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DrawrofBackward, Oct 19, 2010.

1. DrawrofBackward

DrawrofBackward Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was just getting some shot coaching from my brother....

Here is my question and topic.

I have some issues with form. I practice sporadically, not consistently. I do, however, stay within my standard of a 4"-5" group at 20, 30, and 40 yards...I just started really shooting at 50yards, and, when I do everything correctly, I can do that at 50, as well.

I dont understand this "surprise release" thing, though. I dont punch the release, but I know when I'm going to release.

My brother has shown me correct form, how to draw, use back tension, secure my anchor points, how to focus on target and all of that..

But I keep hearing people talk about a surprise release and how you become so much more accurate. Now, keep in mind, my bro doesnt use a surprise release and he is the best archer I have ever seen, like literally- AMAZING, it's pretty unbelievable. He's better at 60yards than I am at 20, no exaggeration !

So, how do you get your pin to not move or float ? I get as stable as I can, but I feel with a surprise release, that I'll end up releasing when my pin isn't EXACTLY where I want it. How does this make you more accurate ?

What else can I do ? He just had me practice releasing only, maybe 5 feet in front of a target, with my eyes closed. It feels good, but at range, I'm all over the place with my arrows.

2. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm new to the forum this is my first post but I think I can help out. First off I highly recommend the book bowhunters guide to accurate shooting by Lon E. Lauber it has helped improve my accuracy greatly. Like your brother suggested I also shoot a few arrows with my eyes closed at the beginning of each practice session to get the right feel at the start of practice not at the middle or end. If you have a really large target go through the entire motion of lifting, drawing, anchoring and releasing with eyes closed. LET THE PIN FLOAT around slightly sort of looking through the pin to the target I think I shoot better when the pin is out of focus, concentrate on the target not the pin. Don't think shoot. shoot. shoot. think aim... aim... aim... aim..., seriously think that to yourself, practice that and you will get the surprise release. You want to feel like your pulling your fingers or release through the string not just holding it in place then letting go, your hand should move back slightly on the release not stay at the anchor point. The problem I had and I think most people have is dropping the bow down or to the side to see the shot, keep your bow arm up and try to keep the pin floating on target until after the arrow hits the target. So in summary you shouldn't try to get your pin not to move or float, trying to do so creates hand torque and tense arms resulting in inaccurate shot placement. I guess your brother probably told you most of that already but you also need to practice a lot, I shoot at least 4 times a week usually more and I really notice a big difference when I start skipping practice sessions so be realistic, if you can only practice once a week don't be to hard on yourself for not shooting like a pro. Hope this helps.

3. DrawrofBackward

Dislikes Received:
    I'm gonna give that thinking a try. Thanks for the reply, good info !

4. KidCannon

KidCannon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I actually saw a thing on outdoor tv today that said you should put your finger on the trigger/release and push your bow forward just a bit to steady while gently pulling the trigger. Haven't tried it yet but sounds like a good idea.

5. DrawrofBackward

Dislikes Received:
    I always push forward with my bow arm and pull rearward by squeezing my back muscles.

When I started doing these 2 things together, my accuracy increased.

I think I'm a good shot, but I want to be better. I see the way the guys I hunt with and my brother shoot and I get real jealous. My brother had 2 consecutive robin hoods at 60yards..I mean, come on...

When I try that surprise release, my arrow could likely land in the next County. So I dont understand how it makes anyone more accurate. I dont rush the shot, I dont anticipate, but I know when I'm going to release...

I'm going to go shoot now with my bro...Hopefully I can figure this thing out..

6. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I saw that also haven't tried it yet though. 2 robin hoods at 60yds!? that is impressive.

7. DrawrofBackward

Dislikes Received:
    That's only the beginning...The kids freaking insane with a bow...It really aggravates me.