What deer attractants have the best results?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by OH-buckhunter-IO, Sep 20, 2010.

1. OH-buckhunter-IO

OH-buckhunter-IO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been looking into trying some deer attractants this season, any suggestions?

2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Does a deer decoy qualify as an attractant? If so then that.

It's not a scent but I've had more luck with a decoy attracting deer than all the other stuff I've tried combined.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  3. HenriettasFinest

HenriettasFinest Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wanna decoy but I don't have the money right now but I've heard they work good n I've heard good things about c'mere deer

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

They CAN work really good if used property. Don't get me wrong, like any scent, sound or visual attractant they can have negative impacts as well.

Needless to say last year I had around 10-15 different deer come into my decoy while none spooking that I know of.

I've heard C'mere Deer is a hoax. :confused:

5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That guy would scare the CRAP out of any buck in my woods! lol

Seriously though, I think acorns bring in the deer better than anything else. ;)

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

LOL Yeah I found the baddest looking boy I could find. For the record, I would never put a buck looking like that out for a decoy. I've actually had more luck with a doe decoy than a buck.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  7. david

david Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with that. I use two decoys at times. one at about 40 Yds and one closer. The one closer I stage closer to cover that is the one the deer key on. They watch the one out in the open for signs of danger. When i use one I always put it close to cover.

8. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As far as natraul attractants i would agree 100% with acrons, that always seems to be like deer cocaine!
    Man made- decoys have there place
    scents-depending time of year and place as well
    Rattling- Certain states this is more productive
    Minerals- Trophy rock seems to hold true as an attractant

I think those hunters that do their homework and have some history with deer realize what products work best in there area and for which deer.
    Ive got deer pushing 170 that are as laid back as a 2.5 yr old and dont have a care in the world, and others that are dominant and will bully anything that steps out. Deer with attitudes usually fall hard for deeks and others sometimes all it takes is hunting after a rain on a scrape line. I think they all have there place if used properly and arent abused.

9. Headgear Harvester

Headgear Harvester Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put out deer cane about 2 months ago ... had deer hitting it after about a week ... they claim that once established more will come ... time will tell but seems to be working good. As for the big buck decoy a buddy of mine has that exact one (flambeu) and a small 4 point came up fairly close to it, bristled up, stomped and then just wondered off ... he wasn't scared at all! He also has had luck with several other deer coming in also. I will be trying one this year.

10. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've killed plenty of deer over corn, and a few over apples.... but I haven't had any luck at all with artificial scents, mineral licks or any other man made attractant. I've seen small to medium sized bucks stop to investigate bottled estrus urine (long enough for a shot!), but I've never seen a big buck fall for any of the tricks, at least not during daylight hours.

11. OH-buckhunter-IO

OH-buckhunter-IO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was contimplating using the new Swamp Donkey mineral attractant,but don't want to waste the $$$$$$. Thanks for all your valuable feedback. You cant ask for a better place to get such useful info.

12. KS Tim08

KS Tim08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is that the boss buck? Thinking about decoying this year.

13. thndrchiken

thndrchiken Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As far as cover scent goes, I'll use some doe urine on a drag rag for the last 100 or so yds into the stand sight, then depending on the deer activity in the area I'll either use some doe in estrus or a buck bomb and spray myself down with scent eliminator. Covers scents like fresh earth, acorn or apple really depends on what the food sources in the area are. Don't think you can go wrong with the fresh earth or acorn though. The raccoon or fox urine I've had very little success with.

14. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I honestly don't know. I just grabbed a picture off the Internet. I would not get a decoy that looks that bad a$$. Just my opinion.

I have the carry lite.

15. dale9805

dale9805 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    everywhere is different, the deer in my area walk by corn and it just molds, apples are good but some deer just sniff around and leave, i've used deer cane this summer and a few deer like that. i've tried a few different flavoured blocks and none touch them.
    basically unless there is someone in you're area willing to tell you the option is to waste some money or get lucky with the first thing you try.

16. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most common mistake ive seen here is people stop 100 yards before the stand, get there drag line out and walk to the stand..... kinda defets the purpose. I drag line is intended to go across mutiple trails with the strongest scent closest to your treestand. The idea is for the buck to catch the scent crossing one of "his" trails and for the scent to be strongest closest to you for you to get a shot. Hope some of this helps.

BTW that is the Boss Buck and yea he def intimadates most deer, carry lite works great

17. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I agree with this. When I use a scent trail, I start at my stand and walk away with the drag line. That way the scent is strongest near the stand.

18. thndrchiken

thndrchiken Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good point, never really thought about it that way. My main concern was primarily to cover my presence in that particular area.

19. Iowa Bowhunter

Iowa Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A couple of young does with there legs spread apart should bring some bucks in. LOL.

Even funnier, I wanted to add a photo. Try googleing "deer with legs spread" and see what it yield's ya. LMAO. Sorry, I guess I've just about lost it.