Did you or do you now?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Schultzy, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always got to take time off school, luckily we lived where my kids could hunt soon as they got home from school.
    Schools where we lived gave them first day of rifle season off.

2. USarmyMP

USarmyMP Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Midwest Ohio and anywhere the army sends me.
    If I didnt have a deer down during archery season, and as long as we had all a's and b's my dad would let us skip school during the ohio shotgun season.

3. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There used to be a line at the principles door with students signing out early the opening day of dove season.Funny,back then,that was an EXCUSED absence.:rock:

4. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They did where I live too, they called it "Fall Break" lol. That was until the season started opening on Saturday

5. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    My Dade never let me but then again he didnt/still dont get my love for hunting. Its been a tradition at my home that my oldest son now a Senior miss school for openiong day of Turkey season since it comes in on a Wednesday. Now my 11 year old Tanner misses school opening day to ;)

6. WakeCow

WakeCow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My dad would take me out to go hunting in Montana and early on Fridays before the gun season. He would also write me tardy notes so I could go duck hunting in the morning on school days. I turned out OK, I think?

7. BEAR09

BEAR09 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I was young I was allowed to miss a day of school for deer hunting.

I have no problem with kids being allowed to take off school to enjoy some quality time in the outdoors with their family. I would only expect such children to be doing their part in school, at home, and in any other areas they may be involved in.

I have a nephew who isn't getting the job done. I will only be able to watch his brother play football tomorrow night because he wont be able to dress do to poor grades. If I have any say in the matter he won't be missing any school throughout deer season. If you can't get it done in the classroom, at home, or at work then you best work a little harder.

C

8. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agree Bear. Good post!!!

9. excelpoint

excelpoint Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep Dad used to pull me out for a few days in a row when we were off hunting. I will be doing the same with my kids when they get a bit older. If missing a couple days of school here and there is going to screw up their education then I think there are bigger problems in play.

10. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My grandfather would check me out to go hunting. The rules were the same as sports, you better have top notch grades, attendance and attitude or you stay there so you can work on all 3. I see it as kids who go to school, and have to perform for a goal/reward also become kids who go to work everyday and do the same thing regardless off job title. Thanks Pop for that leg up...

11. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My highschool was great, just had to show principal your deer tag and you had and Excused absence for opening day of gun deer season. That was only day I missed.

My kids, if the grades are up - no problem...I daydream of taking them out of school for a week each fall to get lost in the mountains somewhere with Dad...:)...You're Dang right there's more to learn there in 1 week then 1 missed week from school (which we would have all missed work completed before they returned anyway)

12. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh man yesssssssssssssssssss! i would just sit and wait for that call over the intercom... "please send isaiah to the office, he will be leaving early" MAN that was music to my ears!

Pops & UT (uncle Tom) prob pulled me wayyyyyyyyyyyy more that they shoulda but i am a better outdoorsman for it!

great post!

13. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    As a teacher, I have no problems...if the student is doing well. If they're struggling as is (meeting due dates, getting projects/assignment completed, etc,), it's probably not in their best interest to be leaving.

As a parent (someday, maybe), I would certainly allow he/she to miss a few days to hunt and/or fish if grades are up. No harm there.

I didn't miss much as a kid, really, seeing as I could hunt after school for everything.

14. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Matt for posting. I was hoping you and Troy would add something to this thread being your both teachers.

15. midwestshedhunters

midwestshedhunters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    oh yea, my dad took my brother and i up north for michigan rifle season, going back to school after missing a week,and telling friends i was gone hunting,was always cool.

16. slabcrappy

slabcrappy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yes

My Dad allowed us the take opening day of shotgun off. Opener was on a Monday back then and me and Preacher Tony were able to take off that day. However, Preacher Tony is MUCH older than me (hehehehe) and he was graduated from HS before I was old enough to hunt.

Now get this, when PT was out of HS would fake a back injury and go to the doctor and get an excuse from work the day before the opener! Even the doctors thought he threw his back out. Then we could all hunt together!! Pure genious!!!

Sal

17. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I missed school on our first season gun opener every year since I started hunting. It always landed on a Friday, and half the school was gone anyways.

The first year I bowhunted, me and my dad both drew hard to get public land tags in our county and he took me out of 5th grade for 3 days so I would get 5 full days of hunting in. On the last day I missed an 8 pointer that he had rattled in.....the first deer I ever had in bow range.

Once I got into high school, and had my license I would have my mom or dad call me in "sick" a few different times so I could catch a few extra days with my bow. My grades were always good, and they never had a problem with it.

18. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes it cost me $100+ ..... ahh the stupidity of youth :busted: