Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

removing paint

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by madhunter, Dec 30, 2008.

1. madhunter

madhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Bowtech General that is Firestorm Grey and I would like it to be dipped for a camo pattern. However I a unsure about removing the paint and lacquer that is covering the limbs.

Any ideas?

2. Leebow

Leebow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mad,
    Limbs are difficult. I have a 2003 Martin Hunter Magnum I got from Gander(currently for sale), and they put the price tag on the limb. I went from alcohol, to brake parts cleaner, to carb cleaner, and finally to Acetone. The Acetone got it off, but made the camo underneath a bit blurry. I was very careful, and applied it sparingly, but holy crap, it takes off everything. I know it will work, but you should check with a paint guy first. When you get it dipped, I know the most important part is prep. Once it gets treated with some sort of prepsol, it should be dried and dipped ASAP. The paint guy might know something safer than Acetone. I wouldn't want you to tell me I owe you a new Bowtech...unless...Hey...
    Hope this helps.

Leebow

3. WNYbowhunter

WNYbowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Mad, I have the bowtech general with the camo pattern already on it and it has like a different finish on it. It seems to be like a rubbery coating? Im not sure what the "scientific" term for this coating is but it seems to me it cant be repainted? does your bow have a different finish because is not camo??

4. fairtondoeslayer

fairtondoeslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    why not let the guy who is dipping it do it, i'm sure they have a tank that they dip into to strip the previous paint first

5. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agree, if you're having a professional do the the dipping, they will do the necessary prep.