DIY Repair... How many of you do it?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Florida Marine, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Florida Marine

Florida Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just wondering... (tried to search this, but search is not working for me)

I am stubborn about wanting to do stuff for myself, work on all my vehicles, my house, my guns etc. I am pretty handy, and a jack of all trades. I build AR's and even AK's from scratch. I have a full wood shop and do all my home repairs, not really afraid of much other then the AC. I can strip both my motorcycles down to the frame and build them back up. Sometimes I lose money over just getting someone to do certain things, but I trust the work and I like knowing how stuff works.

So, I am pondering the expense of a bow press - and learning to do my own bow work. For some reason I am scared witless to work on my bow - or just getting too old to try a new adventure?

I did just get a Bitzenburg to refletch my own arrows - that's as far as I have gone.

Anyway, how many of you do your own work?

Sean

2. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer doing the work on my bows and arrows. I also work on my friends' bows and arrows if they want me too.

Being able to do all of my own work also helps when experimenting with different things which leads to a greater understanding of how the bow and arrow want to work together. I enjoy everything about it.

3. bigcountry

bigcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was forced into it. There was not one single decent bowshop in the MD area. So I started working on them myself about 8 years ago. Depends on your bow about the type of press. And they are pricey for a decent one.

4. ncnat

ncnat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have just started doing minor changes and adjustments on our bows. Also just started fletching arrows.

5. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    As soon as I get my little work shop built by the house, I will be buying a bow press. I just don't have the room right now. I do all that I can though without it.

6. bigcountry

bigcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You know how I found the quickest way to learn was?

I setup some paper, and started moving things. I would raise the nock real high and slowly move it down. I would keep moving the nock low until it actually started having clearance issues. I would intentionally cause clearance problems. I would move rest left and right. I would try different spined arrows and see the effect. Lower and raise draw weight. Finally, I got a press and changed out my own strings/cables. took apart an old bow all the way and rebuilt it.

Greg/MO on here helped me a ton with some of his illustrations. I just took a whole year and dug into it.

7. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I pretty much do all my own work and also built my own Bow press :p

8. greeneyedeagle

greeneyedeagle Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I too like doing my own work. That way if something is off, I'll know how to fix it. I too just finished my own bow press.... went to a scrap metal yard and bought brand new 1.5" x 1/4 flat stock for 15.00. Drilled the holes, got a friend to weld it up and done deal. I enjoy DIM ( Doing it myself)

9. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love working on things, here a pic of some cant be done engine work. high nickle weld and bush lifter holes in a 565 bbc engine thats now in my boat.
    Love it when someons says.. you cant fix that.

Attached Files:

10. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will be doing all my own work within the next few weeks. I'm putting together all the parts and info needed to make my own press.

11. Florida Marine

Florida Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Started looking at that last night....what plan are you using?

I have a Hoyt with split limbs, I need to make sure I get the right or make the right kind of press.

I was supposed to be studying last night, but spent about 30-40 mins looking at DIY presses.