Team 6 - Thunder Chasers

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Brandon8807, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good lookin bird! Congrats to you and your brother on the successful hunt!

2. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Zimbo, awesome ;)

3. Jim_IV

Jim_IV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, congrats to your brother!

4. BOW/zimmer

BOW/zimmer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys! I will be back out again tomorrow until Sunday filming for my girlfriend and a couple of buddys! I still have to wait 2 weeks before I get to hunt!

5. Brandon8807

Dislikes Received:
    Well... the start of my season is only two days away. Hopefully I'll be able to get something put together and knock one down on opening day. Waking up at 4:30 is going to get old pretty quick on the weekends. I usually use the weekends to catch up on sleep lol.

6. Jim_IV

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck this weekend Brandon

7. BOW/zimmer

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck, Brandon!

8. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Brandon :) well Ill be out with Tanner my 10 year old in the morning for the youth opener. He is looking for his first bird. I have two Toms patterned IF the rain dosent have them quiet in the morning. I sat this morning for a couple hours and know where they roost, where they pitch down and where they are staging trying to get a Hen to come in ;)

9. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you got a plan Blood, Good luck in the morning with the son.

10. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    Well it was going great UNTIL!! :mad:story goes as so
    They were roosted where I thought, we seen them pitch down but with a Hen this time :rolleyes: She came by and seen the Deeks and didnt like it, turned and pushed the Toms away. She started yelping later and I told my son that I was going to imitate her that sometimes it pisses the Hens off ;) IT DID :D She came marching back in with two Toms far back behind her. My neighbor and his boy (my sons friend) were hunting across the road on a field edge. and we were in the woods on the other side of the road about 40 yards in. They had driven a quad all the way to there blind that morning, unloaded and then moved the quad. We heard his son shoot when I was pissing the Hen off. WELL about the time the Toms were just starting to get in range my Neighbor was driving back out of the field and our birds took off running :eek: and never came back. This is three times in three years that a quad has messed my son up on opening day of youth season :mad:

11. Jim_IV

Dislikes Received:

Dang, that sucks Crick. Hopefully y'all can get on 'em this evening. Good luck!

12. Brandon8807

Dislikes Received:
    I went out Saturday morning and didn't end up having any luck. I had several hens come by, and some jakes that refused to come into range. This morning I went with my Dad, and ended up toting the gun due to the fact that my Dad has been VERY busy with his job, and this is the first time he has gotten to go out. I didn't want to impede him by taking the bow, and I figured his chances of success would be much higher if I took the shotgun too. We had a very interesting day. This morning shortly before the birds flew off the roost there were gobblers everywhere! We had them on all sides of us, but not all of them necessarily close. We guessed there were 15-20 birds gobbling, with a large majority of them being jakes. We had two jakes come up behind us, and they passed behind the tree my Dad was sitting in at about 5 yards! Unfortunately, they didn't come from where we were expecting them to come from, and it was much too thick to get a shot off. About an hour later we have two toms come in, from the direction we were expecting. I was really excited because I thought my Dad and I were going to be able to pull off a double. What do ya know.... the toms turn at the last second, and veer off of their expected path and pass out of range. While this weekend may not have been successful, it was still a great time. I'll be back at it again next weekend.

13. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    Great time indeed Brandon :)

14. Th3_IA

Th3_IA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    on the board

Im on the board! 22lbs 4oz, 10.25in beard, 7/8 spurs. Shot him this morning, at 5yds. Ill post up the pics and story a little later when I get some time! :D

15. Jim_IV

Dislikes Received:
    Heck yea! Way to go Th3

Congrats, sounds like a heck of a bird! Can't wait to see some pics

16. BOW/zimmer

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, th3! Way to go, Cant wait to hear the story and see pics! Congrats!

17. Brandon8807

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice, congrats Th3!!

18. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    Atta boy TH3 ;):) YOU DA MAN :) Cant wait to see pics!
    Well Im back from my opening morning. I could have shot 3 different Jakes, just not what im looking for. I finally had 2 BIG Toms in the field that were Henned up and wouldnt come in :mad: They gave me a show for 2 hours. I had a bearded Hen come in and 2 other Hens to the deaks. The only hen that wouldnt come in was the one with Boys :( The Hens dusted themselves off before leaving and took the Boys with them. I waited another 2 hours for them to come back with nada. My son had 2 slammer Toms come to him this morning that he Gobbled in :) He brought a wing feather home :D Thats 2 years in a row for him with the bow. I need to work with him more on his nerves and shot :D

19. Th3_IA

Th3_IA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here he is...

I had some really good pics of my setup in the field and pics of the bird with the arrow, but my phones motherboard died (the phone company tells me) and I have lost all my pics, phone numbers, everything. I did however get a couple with the camera so here they are.

I was working several toms to the south of me. I had the double bull and decoy south of my blind. I called for sevreal minutes and the birds were gobbling but not getting any closer. I decided to quit calling for a few minutes to see what they were going to do next. After about 10 min of not calling I looked out of my side window and the tom was walking beside the blind right towards the decoy...3 yds away tops. He walked in front of the blind and when he came out of strut to mount the hen decoy I shot him. I had my hen at 6 yds. He didnt go anywhere.

I shot him with Bowtech 82nd Airborne, Easton ST Epics, 100gr Grim Reaper 1 3/4 razorcut.
    I have one more tag so Im still going to be out there as much as I can.

Good Luck Guys!!

Attached Files:

20. Jim_IV

Dislikes Received:
    Great looking bird Th3!

Keep after 'em Crick