grim reaper?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by ksredneck, Mar 30, 2010.

1. ksredneck

ksredneck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually use a fixed blade broadhead but I've got this itch about trying a mechanical broadhead. And I know alot of people like the rage but I'm wanting to know how everyone feels about the grim reaper heads? Pros vs con

2. BowtechHunting

BowtechHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Grim Reaper

I'm currently using the Grim Reaper Razorcuts.

Pros-
    -If looking good is pro and measurable in the field, then this is the broadhead.
    It looks like pure evil.
    -Very sharp!
    -Light weight
    -Deploy easily.

Cons-
    -They rust easily
    -The razor tip will chip from time to time

I shot a doe using the Razorcut, at 25ish yards, when I found my arrow the tip was bent and the blades did not deploy. Well, after recovering the doe, I looked at the entrance and exiting wound and blew right threw her slicing everything it came in contact with. The blades did deploy but closed back when it hit the ground. I found no blood on the arrow and little trail blood. I had a liver/gut shot on her. She ran 60 yards and checked out. But, the broadhead destroyed all the internals.

Sure try'em out. I liked'em. But, I like fixed Muzzy's the best!!

3. Th3_IA

Th3_IA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the Grim Reaper Hades fixed blades for deer. I shoot all of their expandables for turkeys. I know a few guys that swear by them for deer also, Im just more comfortable with fixed heads for deer personally. I know that they sure work well with turkeys!

4. wpage

wpage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They do look good!

5. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use them and i am very pleased as they have worked real well for me. I dont plan on using any other head!!!!!!!!:cool::D

6. ILLUSION HUNTER

ILLUSION HUNTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I tried them one year, but I personally did not have a good experience with them. I shot a doe and had a complete pass through the front shoulder. the deer fell down right there, but got right back up. She didn't run she just stood their for a while, she even grazed alittle. I was waiting for her to fall over. She never did, I tried to get another shot on her, but I was shaking too bad and shot over her back. I waited until the next day and never found the doe. Not much blood, maybe the arrow was angled too low and missed the heart and lungs, I don't know. My blades were chiped up and wrecked on the broadhead and not much blood for me. I'm sure it was a fluke thing and I think that they are a great head but that was enough for me to switch to G5 montecs.
    Good luck to ya.

7. v1ol3nce

v1ol3nce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I used them the first year and I dropped every deer I shot at. The bad thing was they started making the small diameter heads and I had to special order the larger ones so I switched to G5 strikers. I love the G5s and I can buy them in any hunting store

8. YardBird78

YardBird78 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't shot a deer with one yet. Picked some up at the end of last year shot a coyote at 30 yards and he didn't take another step. Got a quiver full this year

9. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My brother-in-law and I shot them for a season a couple years ago, very mixed results. Neither of us are shooting them anymore.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

10. Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Grim Reapers RULE mechanical heads.

I base that opinion on 100% kill and recovery within 40 yds on the last 5 deer I shot with them, four bucks and one doe.

11. NewBowHunter

NewBowHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The Grim Reapers are the real deal as far as mech go. I shot a little buck @ 20 yards quartering hard away. Entrance was very big, as was the exit. Cut a rib in half going in and going out. I will def be using them again.

They left a blood trail anyone could follow.

Attached Files: