Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

To Gut or Not to Gut ?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Brian Corll, Oct 1, 2021.

?

If you’re going straight to a processing plant in an hour or two, is it necessary to gut a deer ?

1. Yes

90.9%
  2. No

9.1%
  1. SD guy

SD guy Newb

Dislikes Received:

I have went this rout a few times. Recently I have really grown a like for the Liver so Ill be accessing the chest cavity for the Liver I heart while I am at it.

2. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are people that don't gut out their deer? It's the first step right after taking a couple pics after recovering it.
    Being a bit of a smart aleck, but I don't think there's a processor around here that would gut the animal. Processors here expect an animal to be gutted and skinned when brought in.
    We've probably trained them to expect that, it's just common practice here. Shoot an animal, recover it, maybe take a couple pics, and then get to guttin'. Then get it somewhere asap that it can be hung and skinned out, or skin them on the tailgate if they need to get put in a cooler right away because the weather's warm.

3. Life by the Horns

Life by the Horns Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t know if this is available to you, but if you can learn to do the gutless method it is awesome. Where I hunt there is a landfill/dump nearby. It is open 24/7, so I simply load my deer while, then drive to the dump, and complete the gutless method. I always carry a couple of meat totes with me so while I am deboning the meat I can simply drop it into the meat tub. When I’m done I do like to pop a rib open just to see what I hit and do an autopsy, but what is so nice is that I don’t have to mess around with gutting, and then dealing with the carcass at home. I simply do it on my tailgate, throw the carcass into the dump, and now I have the meat and tag and I don’t have to deal with anything else. It takes a little extra time but once you get good at it it goes very quick. Again I don’t know if there’s anything available to you to be able to dump carcasses, but if you can figure something out that would be my recommendation. I also don’t like getting anywhere near my spot so as to avoid drawing in predators like coyotes. Maybe that doesn’t matter but the less intrusion the better I always feel.

4. Meat

Meat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hate to drag gutted deer, much less one with all the extra weight of the guts. Maybe I am just weak!

5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I gut it immediately where it dropped. Then drag. If I have Gator or tractor near by I get those before thr gutting.
    I've later shot deer over gut piles. Both doe and buck. One might be amazed to see what deer will eat.
    In nice cold weather I hang my deer several days