Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Archery sight choices

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Life by the Horns, May 10, 2024.

1. Life by the Horns

Life by the Horns Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the process if building a new setup for this coming season. For the past 12 years I have used the Spot Hogg 7 pin fixed. (Western game hunter) I like the quick ability to shoot out to farther distances for follow up shots, etc, but have realized the need for more precision if I have the time pre-shot to dial a slider. I have narrowed down my choices to either a Montana Black Gold or an Option Archery sight. I really like the black Gold pin brightness, but also really like the ability to open the housing on an Option sight and declutter the sight picture.

I have not recently handled an Option sight and am wondering how bright their pins are in comparison to a black Gold? Any thoughts?

2. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have an Option 8 sight, it is a first generation version.
    While I don't have any newer MBG sights, I have recently done a comparison of pin brightness to a Spot Hog Fast Eddie. My BIL has the SH and we compared them for brightness early one morning while elk hunting. I have all .019" pins and he had .010" pins, he happened to notice that my pins were already showing and his weren't while we were walking. The bigger pins on my Option were glowing for around 10 minutes before his started to be visible. We thought it was probably due to the pin size difference.
    After that season he decided to purchase a .019" scope for his Fast Eddie to use for hunting. Since he got the .019", we can tell no difference between the two.
    Not a MBG, but Spot Hogg also makes pretty good stuff.

For the Option sight, I would caution against buying a first gen like mine if you find a used one. The 1st gen versions only have one slide rail frame for all of the fixed pins, the newer versions after it they went to two slots. With just a single I run into issues of not being able to adjust my 20 & 30 yard pins close enough together, the pin bases are pretty big.
    My only other annoyance with the Option sight is the individual adjustment of the pins, they can be adjusted in/out as well as up/down. It can be an annoying range session trying to get all of the pins aligned with each other on the in/out adjustment. Maybe newer versions don't have that, I'm not sure.

Fix likes this.
  3. Greg B.

Greg B. Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m just getting back into bow hunting after a shoulder problem had me sidelined. I don’t have any experience with the sights you mentioned but my archery guy recommended the tetra RYZ x3. I’ve noticed the pins are much brighter than my old sight. I routinely shoot 30-40 arrows each night at dusk. I can see the pins longer than I can see the target!

4. Henry03

Henry03 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Montana Black Gold sight seems like a solid choice. Its reputation for bright pins, especially in low-light conditions, can significantly enhance your accuracy

5. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i switched to the black gold site 3 months ago and i am truly happy with it and wished i had switched sooner.

Black Gold Ascent Verdict Assault site

dstouffer and cantexian like this.
  6. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The new Spot Hogg boonie with the three pin vertical head seems like the best of all worlds. I have a Fast Eddie double pin and can shoot out to 40 without touching the sight. However, there are some adjustments on the sight that I'm not in love with. Looks like the Boonie fixed those things. I'm thinking about getting one with the three pin as mentioned.

Anyway, you'd be hard pressed to find a sight built better than a Spot Hogg. They last a lifetime.

7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I second Black Gold sights, been using the same single pin for six years now, built like a tank.

MUDSHARK likes this.
  8. Life by the Horns

Life by the Horns Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ended up going the route of the Option 8. Just a very good, hunting friendly concept. Sure takes a bite out of the old wallet though!

9. Jezzy670

Jezzy670 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    CBE Micro Tactic 5 pin. Was a little unsure bout the size but really like it thus far. October might bring a different opinion possibly