Box blinds

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by Sota, Dec 28, 2023.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Going to build 3 not highly elevated less than 10'. Was thinking of looking at on line plans. Want it sealed to keep the heat in, so windows will have to be silent when it is prime time. Thinking of tinting the windows too

2. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pick up some foam wrestling/gymnastics mats to lay on the floor. Makes it dead quiet to move around. We made some and put RV sliding windows in them. Already tinted and quiet to slide open.

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Iron Forge Deer Stand Brackets, 4x4 Inch Brown Powder Coated Steel Tree Stand Elevator Bracket for Outdoor Hunting Platform, Elevated Deer Blinds, Tower Stands, Box Blinds, 4 Pack Includes Accessories https://a.co/d/30Ty9g9

Sota I used these on my 8ft blind near my sanctuary. They worked great. I built it at my house then took it apart and transported it in pieces rebuilding on location. It's the best approach if you don't have help.
    Also I made the platform 6x6 and if I could redo it I would go 8x8. It's easy to throw a blind(fabric) on it and build it(full wood) in stages over a few seasons

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Sota likes this.
  4. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If they are going to be in a permanent place, I would not even think of using those brackets.
    Set your posts 3' deep in holes. Build a good level platform then walls and roof.
    Spray foam when done. Airtight and no bugs get in. Nothing worse then climbing in and finding dead bugs everywhere.

1/2" treated plywood on exterior. Paint,stain or use plain old mud.
    A good roof overhang is important.
    I use windows from DeerView windows.

Attached Files:

Sota likes this.
  5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Drives me nuts seeing the explosion of those plastic/ expensive blinds popping up.
    Most look many degrees off level.

I've built quite a lot for people. They are level and secure.

Sota likes this.
  6. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In place over 20 yrs 4 sided bracing and nailed to a tree. We had some really high winds the other night..lost some huge , huge trees and this blind was lifted and tipped. Give my carpenter skills kudos . 3/4 plywood over a 2"x 2" framing and only only one deck rail broke.
    20240301_123629.jpg 20240301_123559.jpg 20240301_123533.jpg