Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Quietest bow???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Life by the Horns, Jan 24, 2024.

1. Life by the Horns

Life by the Horns Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Currently shooting 2015 hoy Nitrum bu am noticing it seems to be getting loud. Thinking about trying out a Mathews, as they seem pretty darn quiet, dead in the hand, and smooth. What's your opinions on the quietest bow in the last 2-3 years-current?

Surprised they actually don't advertise as the most quiet.... It would be a great selling point I would think.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Depends an many factors, arrow weight effects noise too.

cantexian likes this.
  3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hate to be that guy but the sound of the bow doesn't scare deer it's all about the flight of the arrow IMHO.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

dnoodles likes this.
  4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Increasing arrow weight will make both the bow and the arrow quieter without the price tag of a new bow. More energy imparted from the bow into the arrow equals less energy expended as noise.

dnoodles likes this.
  5. Life by the Horns

Life by the Horns Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm at 585 grains so I think I'm good there.

flatwoodshunter and cantexian like this.
  6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had great auditory results when I went from 360 to 580grains
    But to the question you actually asked I have read and watched reviews that say the Lift is awesome

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

MUDSHARK and Life by the Horns like this.
  7. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most of the bows in the last couple years have reviews out there and have noise readings at the shot. Like said arrow weight helps in reducing noise. Bunch of good bows out there. My last handful of bows were Hoyt ventum pro, Athens vista, Hoyt Rx7u, prime revex 34 and Hoyt VTM31. All are/were very quite and good shooters. Just go shoot some and see what you like. I have a problem buying and trying bows.

MUDSHARK likes this.
  8. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Meh..., get em close and kill em.:evilgrin:

9. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    all modern bows are plenty quiet. You say it seems to be getting loud. If it was quiet but now loud, you don't need a new bow, you need to figure out what is causing the noise increase. Most times its loose screws somewhere. The other common culprit is a bow that has worn stretched strings and the bow is now out of tune. I can always tell on my bows when I'm getting close to the sweet spot on tune as I notice a slight decrease in noise and vibration.

MUDSHARK likes this.
  10. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the new LIFT

it is quiet. Me likey. Hmmmmmmm

11. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the above, if your bow seems to be getting louder then something is loose or the string set is starting to stretch.
    The four biggest things that I feel impact how loud a bow is, besides engineering:

Loose screws, or accessories that just aren't made well and have parts that will vibrate during the shot.

String stop adjusted correctly. If your cables/string have stretched quite a bit, or the bow poundage has been changed even (which also happens as string set stretches, it goes down) it is possible that your string stop is no longer adjusted properly. I adjust mine by just loosening the string stop set screw and then tip the bow string down and let the stop just rest against the string with gravity, then tighten back down.

String dampeners. Cat whiskers, string leech, monkey tails, all make enough of a difference that I can tell. I far and away prefer cat whiskers, they work well and don't go flying off like monkey tails will.

Arrow weight. Nothing makes a more noticeable difference to my ear than adding some arrow weight.

With the above being said, the two quietest bows I have shot in the last couple years have both been Mathews. The phase 4, and the new Lift. They were really quiet, and that was just shooting them bare bow in a shop. The Lift I shot this year was quieter than my current bow is all decked out.

tynimiller and Fix like this.
  12. JW Gruv

JW Gruv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely check your bows tune......I have personally found that a well timed bow is a much quieter bow.