RX7 Creaking when drawing

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Justin Goins, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Justin Goins

Justin Goins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My hoyt rx7 creaks the first draw of the day. I have taken it to my pro shop and he has taken it completely apart greased limb pockets and everything and still creaks. Replaced mods still creaks. Taking it back tomorrow for him to see if he can figure it out. Have read a couple other guys have had this issue and hoyt ended up sending them a new bow. I have a turkey hunt in march thats archery only season. Anyone ever have this issue or have any advice what is causing the creaking noise?

2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't and don't have this bow. But with everything else mechanical in my life, it's either a lose bolt and something is rubbing, or a bad bearing. My guess is a bad bearing.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

3. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
    We went through the whole bow and tighten everything and double checked after he took it apart and greased everything. He is going to check the bearing again but he is getting frustrated cause he has tried everything he knows and everything Hoyt has told him to do. He is going to go over the whole bow again tomorrow and if he can't figure it out he is going to send it to Hoyt is what he said to me today in a text.

4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As much as it would suck, you could strip the bow down to nothing and then draw. If you still get the sound, then you know it's the bow and not your accessories. What rest do you have on it?

5. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
    Have a QAD Hoyt integrated rest. Yeah we ruled out accessories. Going in today and dropping it off and he will let me know tomorrow. He said if he can't figure it out its going back to hoyt. I have found one other thread online a guy having the same issue. Him and his bow shop tried everything and they sent it to hoyt and they sent him a new bow. He didn't ever explain why they replaced the bow or what was the issue if hoyt ever did find out what was causing it.

6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At least it's the off season. Guess best case scenario you get a new bow. Very strange. Let's hope they get you fixed up quickly.

Funny thing about 10 years ago I use to try and video some of my kill shots. I never heard my bow make a peep. Until I started filming, then I could hear this very slight creek noise every time I draw bow on camera. I couldn't hear it just shooting.

7. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great. Now when I get home I'm gonna be listening every time I draw mine back. Interested in what you find out.

8. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
    Had to leave it at the shop. He is suppose to let me know if he figures it out or if we are going to have to send it to Hoyt. I have only read two other guys having this issue. So I don't think its common on the rx7s but could be wrong. Will keep you posted if he figures it out.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  9. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck. I guess if the worst case is a new one from Hoyt, it's just a temporary inconvenience. Good luck.

10. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had this on a brand new bow, right out of the box once. Mine was limb pockets. I'm not familiar with Hoyt's, but I know on Bowtechs, they tell you to use a specific type of grease thats "high pressure" in the pocket area. I tore mine down, greased the pockets, the bolts... everything that should have great on it, and put it back together. Quiet as a mouse.

There is a ton of things that can make noise on these things to be honest. Maybe a bad limb? Anything in the system that gets pressure when you draw it can click or creak. Even the roller guard bolts that hold it to the riser. I'd be taking them about and putting a dab of grease on the threads.

If your shop did the grease job correctly, I'd say its most likely a dud bearing in a cam or the roller guard. But I would make absolutely sure the limb bolts themselves were greased, along with any set screws there. That is a notorious place for noise because there is usually some of the film dip inside the threads of the riser and metal on film dip contact creaks.

Good luck!

11. Lina Roth

Lina Roth Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Creaking noises can be caused by a number of factors, such as loose bolts or screws, worn or damaged parts, or even the bowstring rubbing against the cam. It's possible that the creaking noise is coming from a part that has not been inspected or replaced yet, so it's good that you are bringing it back to your pro shop for further examination.

In the meantime, you may want to try using some bowstring wax on your bowstring and cables to see if that helps reduce the creaking noise. You could also try tightening all bolts and screws on the bow to make sure they are snug, but be careful not to over-tighten them as this could cause damage to the bow.

If your pro shop is unable to resolve the issue, it may be worth reaching out to Hoyt directly to see if they can offer any advice or assistance. If your bow is still under warranty, they may be able to send you a replacement or offer repair services.

Good luck with your turkey hunt!

12. DadOf3Girls

DadOf3Girls Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Did you ever get an answer to why this was happening. I get a creak in the bow on the first draw after being put away for a while. After that im good, but once i put it away and take it out again... Creeeeeak