Chinese balloon

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by opossumhunterNC, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Serious question, would this have happened under Trump? Would Trump have ordered it shot down?

oldnotdead likes this.
  2. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wop 75, JeffC, 0317 and 6 others like this.
  3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well it looks like they just blew it out of the sky.

4. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just watched it get blown up about 30 minutes ago. Heard the fighter jets and walked out side on my driveway and watched it happen.

MUDSHARK, virginiashadow and ash d like this.
  5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like China got all the info they needed coast to coast. Bidens masters then gave him the OK to shoot it down.

ash d likes this.
  6. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    satellites watched these balloons be built, set off, and tracked. If they were a threat, they would never have even hit coast of Alaska. There's thousands of satellites watching everything, 40yrs ago we would be warned when a non-friendly satellite would be overhead. We would walk around those missile sites flipping them off. Government's mess we each other all the time, you just dont hear all the **** we do to them. You can go onto google maps and look at all kinds of things. Some hackers will be posting all the info they were collecting, maybe they were just checking on their herds after the season, lot of land out there owned by people who dont live here.

Germ and virginiashadow like this.
  7. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    dry run for a EMP or a virus drop ?? ... yes. I believe Trump would have had it shot down, same for Desantis .... in WWII, Japan sent thousands (9000 or so) of balloons towards the west coast, all loaded with bombs or incendiaries, they killed 6 people in Oregon ... some made it as far as Michigan

oldnotdead likes this.
  8. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I doubt it would have even been sent up with Trump.

oldnotdead likes this.
  9. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got a buddy from college that lives in the Dirty Myrtle and according to him it’s wilder than bike week. Apparently everyone who lives in the KOA is at the Krazyhorse titty bar in north Myrtle blowing their savings accounts celebrating the downing of the red zeppelin

ash d likes this.
  10. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Part of me wonders if they wanted us to shoot it down… the thing that sets out weapons and aircraft apart from everyone else’s is the electronics. (radar, precision guidance, communications and connectivity, etc…) tricking us into shooting down that ballon could be a pretty good way to gain some valuable intelligence about the communication methods, encryption, frequencies, etc our weapons. Not saying we shouldn’t have blown that thing out of the sky… just that hopefully our fearful leader and his minions took that into account and used older weapons to take it down instead of revealing the capabilities of our cutting edge technology.

11. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    virginiashadow likes this.
  12. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    An aim 9x seems like overkill, and likely took out any chance of meaningful analysis...assuming they even tried to recover what was left.

Media stories that the president have orders to shoot it down Wed, but the military said 'no' or too dangerous, seem ingenuous. the pacific, AK, Canada, MT, WY and much of the Midwest had ample opportunities for safe missions...

Don't know what the Chinese were fishing for, minimally a provocation. Running a few extra ships past Taiwan will probably be the ante.

Sota, oldnotdead and JeffC like this.
  13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Biden came out and said his briefings on Wednesday had him saying shoot down as soon as it's safe to do so. Brings up a couple of issues.
    1. Why would the pentagon NOT brief the commander and chief the moment they knew about it...which was a long time before Wednesday.
    2. Why wouldn't anyone advising him stop him from making such an obvious lie. By this time in the game they have to know Americans are not as stupid as Biden looks . Also his own supporters are starting to pull their heads out from their down under to see what he really is.

14. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I disagree with 2. Biden did everything the Dems needed him for. He was someone they could control to aide them in getting the orange, mean guy out. He was their puppet for signing executive orders and not having a clue what he was signing. While we are mad at Biden with southern border ordeal being a disaster, they are getting more voters. His foreign policies are a disaster that they are benefitting from. While we are mad and focusing on him, they have been working in the background destroying us by leaps and bounds.

His usefulness for them is about over so they are turning on him. They just need it to drag on and keep us blaming Biden, when the real problem is that we should be focusing on... who is running him and running the country into the ground. The Dems will do anything legal or illegal to stay in power. We all know that!! They have a lot of help... big tech, media, FBI and DOJ doing their dirty work. This has been all planned out. They need this country divided with the majority brainwashed. They are succeeding!!

Look!! A Chinese spy balloon!! D@mned Biden screwed up again?? Imagine that.

Sota likes this.
  15. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Canada tried to shoot a balloon down with a F-18. 1000+ rounds expended.

Balloon 1, F-18 0

cantexian and TJF like this.
  16. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Ton of French in Canada… their battlefield strategies are better suited for retreat… they have very little experience with the attack side of things.

ash d likes this.
  17. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I agree whole heartedly
    I normally refer to " Biden and crew " in my comments and have said multiple times that the FBI,CIA,DOJ need to be dismantled and redone if at all on one. It's Obama and crew running this country into the ground I have no doubt. Before he won the first time I said he was going to be the ruin of this country, I still believe that . BTW once out of office, NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON WITH HIGH SECURITY STATIS SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO KEEP THAT SECURITY STATIS period.

0317 and TJF like this.
  18. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

French WWII surplus, never fired, only dropped once.....

opossumhunterNC likes this.
  19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    F18 (allegedly) only has a service ceiling of 50k. If so, was the pilot taking shots at a target ~2 (or more) miles above him (circa 60k)? If so, that may have something to do with it...

The F22 ceiling is (allegedly) 65k...potentially, 3 miles above an F18.

Apparently the F22 was at 58k when the missile was fired, the balloon somewhere in the 60k-65k range. I've got to imagine they need to be moving at a pretty good clip to stay at that elevation and closing the distance on a target at several hundred kts pretty damn quickly. OTOH, I wonder if even a (relatively) close flyby wouldn't have collapsed the balloon...

All reasons why others get paid 'the big bucks' to think this stuff through...

JeffC and Sota like this.
  20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    US should offered to show how it is done.