Ribs, what was I thinking?

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by oldnotdead, Jan 3, 2023.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    All those years throwing them away.
    I put some in the crockpot with just a touch of cranberry juice in the bottom of a crockpot. 7hrs on low rubbed in Rendezvous dry rub and garlic powder. Gosh darn it, they are good!

wl704 likes this.
  2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Deer ribs are solid but I rarely do it..typically just tell the processor to cut and grind. I however have asked for them before to be saved as is.

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bad thing about deer ribs is the fat. It's not like beef or pork fat that melds/renders into the cook, it just lingers around to place a coating in the mouth.

Slow cooking probably helps as the fat would tend to separate.

oldnotdead likes this.
  4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    It did and there wasn't much

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  5. liorahearon

liorahearon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm glad to hear that you found a new way to enjoy chicken wings and that they turned out delicious! Slow cooking with a touch of cranberry juice and seasoning with Rendezvous dry rub and garlic powder sounds like a great combination. Enjoy your wings!

6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    We have a big Cabelas dehydrator. Size of a dorm frig.. Well because of size it sits stored in the basement or loaned out to son. What a waste of money.
    So because I have to have 15 pikes in the fire I put hubby on notice last night. I'm making a dedicated shelf space for the dehydrator so I can use it when ever. You are going to run the wiring and set up the breaker it needs to run as it should. I will be using it year around for meat, herbs, fruit, yogurt, and proofing.
    Today I rearranged cleaned shelves ,tossed things never used set up the dehydrator.
    Yes, yes there will be nagging. Should not have to we have the wiring,the breaker,the outlet. It's a matter of snaking ,screwing mounts, stripping wires

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023