Team 6 - Any Six

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by mathewsmq1, Aug 28, 2022.

1. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My 1st buck I killed this year I only had a few sporadic trail cam photos of from summer and 1 set at night from 300yds from 1 camera & 400yds from another camera from where I killed him. I hunted the area where I was getting the camera photos of him but never saw him, so I moved to an area 300yds away where I was seeing better buck sign and bigger rubs& killed him there. Screenshot_20221113_050604_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20221113_050550_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20221113_050526_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20221113_050507_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20221113_050437_Facebook.jpg 20221028_104744.jpg

2. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    My 2nd buck I was getting all night time photos of & and also not seeing him in daylight where my cameras were setup. So I went to the same spot where I killed my 1st buck this year but decided to use my climber to get a better view earlier of any deer coming into the spot and I ended up shooting him roughly 20 yards from where I shot my previous buck this season. I walked into bow hunt 1 morning about 11 minutes after he had just walked by my camera:tongue: Screenshot_20221113_052719_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20221113_052806_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20221113_052843_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20221113_052902_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20221113_052924_Gallery.jpg

Justin Goins, PinkPony, dmen and 3 others like this.
  3. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very cool, you got their number that’s for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's great. LF. You do the homework and know their actions and it shows.

Our early season ends Friday. My Mom is pretty sick right now - so I'm playing nurse while working. Going to try and make it out Thursday and Friday evening after work and hopefully get a doe. Our late season doesn't start until December 26 and goes until like the second week of January. I don't normally hunt that as PA is too overly pressured during gun season. But, we'll see what the sign is like as time goes on.

Swamp Stalker and Westfinger like this.
  5. Justin Goins

Justin Goins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting the past couple days all day sits have been action filled. Have had couple shooters in range no shot or just not close enough. Taking a break today and giving the woods a rest and me. lol my back has been killing me today. Tomorrow morning suppose to get rain/snow. Suppose to stop around 1-2 so I'll be out after work. Kirsten sorry to hear about your mom. Hopefully she gets to feeling better soon! Congrats again Lady Forge! Dmen is tracking his buck he shot last night. Haven't heard from him in about a hour or two. Hopefully he found him and is celebrating!

6. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
    @ultisportsman1 and @goherd1111 haven't heard from you guys in awhile. Hope everything is okay. Any update on how hunting is going?

Westfinger and Swamp Stalker like this.
  7. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations Justin on your great looking buck !!!!!!! Boy you really put our team out in the lead with the addition of your bucks score:rock:

8. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go captain! Great buck, you put your time in for him! Let’s go team 6!

Justin Goins and Swamp Stalker like this.
  9. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Buck Justin, congrats again brother!!

I'm hoping to bang out a poo ton of schoolwork this week and will hopefully be able to get out beginning of next week and do some scout and hunt sessions on some new to me pieces of public land bow only spots which will allow me to extend my season. I'll shoot any damn deer I see that is in range!

Westfinger and Justin Goins like this.
  10. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone! So, after I got off work yesterday at 4, I hurried up and changed into my camos and got in the stand about 4:30ish. Well when I got all settled in and thought I got in clean, I looked to my far left and seen 8 does just staring at me. One blew and they all took off. I thought then I probably shouldn't have tried to slip in here for the last hour and half but I just thought its the rut and things can happen in a flash. After the does took off, a spike came in from behind nose down and running all over. Then about that time I look across the creek and there was a little 4 point chasing 2 does. They crossed the creek and headed north of me. Well about 10 minutes went by a doe came running back right where the 4 point chased the does to. I thought it was going to be the same little 4 point, boy was I wrong. lol It was the 8 with a broken brow tine, didn't know it at the time. He was chasing her all over the place. Finally, the doe calmed down and started feeding at 30 yards and the buck did the same but he was behind some trees. I ranged the doe knowing he was going to push her. He went right to her and she bounded off and I let out a mehhh and settled my pin and let her rip. Watched my arrow go right where I was aiming, he mule kicked and ran about 80 yards and stood there and got the shakes and fell over on the other side of ridge. This all happened really quick. I shot him at 5:15. I got down couldn't find my arrow and there was blood everywhere. I creeped to the top of the ridge and peaked over and sure enough he was dead right there. My biggest buck to date. I have pictures of this buck and just a couple days ago he still had his other brow tine. It was a fresh break and that morning my buddy who wants the property just across the creek heard two bucks going at it for about 5 to 10 minutes. Thinking maybe he broke it off that morning. I am very happy with him and will be taking him to the taxidermist! Let's take this thing home team 6! We could win this thing! Still a lot of season left!

11. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_5682.JPG IMG_5660.JPG IMG_5666.JPG IMG_8029.JPG
    Had some good friends come out and help drag it and soak it all in!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

PinkPony, Swamp Stalker, dmen and 2 others like this.
  12. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    EFFCEE2F-DD1F-4066-B621-962381D98ABE.jpeg Justin great buck!

a brief recap of my Kansas hunt for those not on the group text. I was only able to fill a doe tag unfortunately. The first night out I had one of the biggest deer I have ever had in front of me in range and I battled myself on whether to shoot or not. I just couldn’t get myself to tag out the first night of my hunt. I look forward to this trip the whole year and to basically be done in 3 hours I wasn’t prepared to do. I was seeing deer everyday and the occasional shooter. On Thursday morning I think it was I had a really massive and long 8 cone down the trail. At first I thought he was a different 8 point, than when I went to take a picture with my phone I realized it was a different buck and started to get shaky. I grabbed my bow and went to stand. My stand made a slight creaking noise, just enough to make the buck jump and go out of range, he then walked back to where he came from. Sunday night I shot a nice buck, shot was a little low and back. The buck bounded off and stopped for a few minutes. He then started slowly walking past me at about 35 yards. I scurried to get another arrow knocked. When he stopped I went to pull back and my release let go of the string and my arrow went harmlessly in his direction. He then walked away very slowly. I decided to give him overnight and track in the morning. I thought I was going to just walk right up to him. Wrong. We tracked blood for several hundred yards and then lost blood. I called a tracker to come and $200 later the dog was tracking. I am not going to lie, it never felt like the dog really got on the right trail, and we were receiving snow to boot. 3 hours later I was facing the reality that I was not finding that buck. I had a couple more event less sits and going home today. And this guy was right at my stand this morning. I have no regrets on passing that buck on day 1.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  13. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations on your doe :bow::rock:, so sorry to hear about your buck.

Swamp Stalker, Westfinger and dmen like this.
  14. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, regular archery season ends today. I'll try and make it out to the blind after work - but can't guarantee it. Late season starts December 26th. I am still hoping to be able to help secure a doe, however a buck may get taken during gun season.

We should still be in first after that final buck of Team 9 gets entered - but not by much at all.

Sorry it's not looking so hot on my end, yet again. But, I did have a very eventful season and some close calls. It'll just take a bit to get the feel of the deer on our own property. This was the first year I really hunted our own land. We put in food plots but were late to finishing. Hopefully next year gives us great opportunities.

15. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    I was able to get a bunch of schoolwork done this weekend, but still behind! I plan on banging out one more paper tomorrow on a presentation, then I should be able to make it out on Wednesday late morning to dusk scout and kill session. I'm getting a tooth pulled on Friday, so most likely, Friday and Saturday are out (Yes I'm that much of a baby when it comes to my teeth). I REALLLLLY want to kill an effing deer!

A friend of mine has a farm in MA and has a significant deer problem. He knows I hunt and struggle, but yet has always been weird about it. Of course, I've never come out and asked him if I could hunt his farm, as he already allows another friend and partner to hunt it. I know he is frustrated with them though because they are of course trying to kill bucks while the owner's crops are getting destroyed. I might have to just get over the uncomfortableness of asking, and just ASK!!!

cantexian and Justin Goins like this.
  16. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
    Joe just ask! Lol worst he can say is no. My fiance almost shot a 150s Friday night but his doe turned and he followed her and never got a shot. Hoping we can get out next weekend. Shotgun/rifle season ends next sunday. Plan on shooting 2 more does before bow season ends Jan 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

17. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely think we are going to need a couple more does and maybe even a buck to win this. With two months until the contest ends, a lot can happen. Anyone getting out this week/weekend?

18. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Almost 57 degrees and all I have is my late season gear. Not expecting to see anything but I had to try.
    [​IMG]

Swamp Stalker, dmen and Justin Goins like this.
  19. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone getting out this week/weekend? I'll be out a couple days this week/weekend to try and fill one of my 2 doe tags that I have left.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  20. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still stuck behind the keyboard for a few days. Next week I should be able to break free and put some boots on the ground.

Westfinger and Justin Goins like this.