Team 15 Tagout and Dragout

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by hunterman927, Aug 28, 2022.

1. hunterman927

hunterman927 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck Eric... Congratulations buddy! Checking in fellas! Just got back home from JC. Learned a lot and seen one good buck. I'll be headed back down there Wednesday for the rest of the week then after that I'll be taking my nephew hunting with the gun. One thing for sure, I should have a doe on the ground soon... Almost happened this morning but the wind swirled at the wrong time.

OkieArrowSlinger and Holt like this.
  2. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well. I came home empty handed. It wasn’t for the lack of opportunities. This morning I set my saddle up. Looked around and said. You should really cut that limb. I didn’t. Shooter came in chasing a doe and stopped at 20 yards right behind that thing

On a positive note. My boy got his first bow buck this evening!!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you can set up your stand under or near an oak tree then try collecting some acorns elsewhere ahead of time and bring them with you when you head in. Once you’re up in your stand start occasionally flicking one or 2 out in different directions down onto the ground in a way that mimics the sound and cadence of them falling naturally. Deer either instinctually know the sound of acorns falling, or they remember it from previous seasons, so they’re drawn to it regardless of whether there are actually any acorns that year. In fact I think it works even better in a year with less acorns.

If you can’t get find any acorns elsewhere or if your state doesn’t allow using bait then little stones or small pea gravel work too. You’re using the sound to draw them in so it doesn’t matter if there aren’t any actual acorns there as long as you don’t wait too long to take your shot since eventually they’ll figure out that there aren’t actually any acorns and leave. Pebbles also let you bring a lot more “acorns” in the same amount of space compared to actual acorns since it takes a much smaller pebble to make the same sound as an acorn. You may want to experiment a little to see what size stones sound the most realistic.

4. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got my doe this evening.

She ducked a bunch and I got the very back of one lung and liver. She ran just a few yards and stood still for about 5 minutes, but behind some brush. She started walking directly away and I was able to sneak a second arrow through a small window in the brush from behind and above. The second arrow skipped off her back and went through her neck causing all kinds of damage. She dropped about 40 yards from my stand. Got the shot and recovery on video and it's currently uploading.

I'll get the score thread updated when the video is done uploading to YouTube.

P1010194.JPG

5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great job on the doe!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

7. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Mark! Cool video as well!

8. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That’s awesome man! Big congrats to your boy! He’s had a hunting season he’ll never forget!

9. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nicely done sir!

10. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Yes sir he has, an he's got one buck tag left. No telling what he'll get next.

11. hunterman927

hunterman927 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe buddy!

Little update on my end... Haven't had any luck with the deer. Seen several at JC but nothing close enough to shoot. Back home now but rifle season is starting in the morning. I'll be out there with a gun for a few days. Gotta feel up the freezer. Good luck to all of yall hunting this weekend.

12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm out finally after 2 weeks of no hunting. Family vacation and too much work got in the way. Still trying to fill a buck tag. Have a feeling it's going to be a grind this year.

OkieArrowSlinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  13. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had a great hunt yesterday. In the morning had 3 bucks come by. 2 walked right in front of me. Of course the huge shooter buck walk about 40 yards away out in the wide open. Would think a mature buck would be in the thick swamp were I was, but nope. Then in evening decided to move up the drainage were all 3 bucks crossed the same spot. But I got into my own head and talked myself to moving 30 yards down closer to some other trails. Now I couldn't shoot the drainage. Of course another huge buck walks the swamp right past the other tree I was in and right up the drainage at 35 yards. It was last 10 minutes of light and didn't feel comfortable. If full light, I could have shot easily. I was 50 yards from my previous tree and that buck walked right in between my trees. Some year I will learn to stick to my gut. The tree I originally picked was a 5 yard slam dunk shot. Know we're I will be on my next sit.

14. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    These are the 2 that I passed. One was 15 yards and the other came to about 3 yards. If that 10 pt wasn't all busted up, I would have shot him. 20221120_074021.jpg 20221120_073252.jpg

15. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you’re in the middle of them! My son and I went gun hunting Saturday and did some doe management.

[​IMG]

Saturday I had a bunch of family come in. So I’ll be hunting very little until they leave this coming weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good job!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

17. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I f**ked up today. Shot a beautiful 8pt this morning. 15 yds slightly quartering away. Pulled my shot and got him in the liver. Normally not that big of an issue; let him bed down, sneak out quietly, wait a few hours, and then go back and get him. Well not today…. As soon as my shot hits and he takes off across the fairway I catch some movement out of the corner of my eye from one hole over. Turn to look and I see the biggest buck I’ve ever laid eyes on and he is charging full steam ahead straight at my freshly wounded buck and absolutely grunting up a storm and ready for a fight. My buck spots him as he gets close and turns and hauls ass straight into the woods with that big buck right on his tail. I hear them crashing through the woods for probably 20 seconds. No sense waiting since he is way off in the distance by that point so I go ahead and climb down and figure I’ll at least find the start of the blood trail. Find the trail no problem and there is plenty of blood, it’s liver blood, but still there is lots of it so I figure I’ll find him. Well that was wrong. Once we got into the woods that blood trail was an absolute mess due to him and the other buck fighting/fleeing/chasing. If you’ve ever gotten out ahead of the blood and messed up the trail then imagine that times 10. All the leaves are turned over and mixed up and since there is a ton of does in those woods there are dozens of freshly used deer trails cross crossing each other so you can’t even follow the stirred up leaves. Ended up spending 7 hours blood trailing him. Followed the trail well over a mile going back and forth through the woods and across/down 2 creeks. Even after a mile he was still running wide open getting chased by that other buck and hadn’t stopped once. At that point the trail leaves the woods and goes back onto the golf course and down the fairway on a different hole that’s on the complete opposite side of the golf course from where I shot him. I’m still finding plenty of blood as they leave the woods and normally blood trailing on a fairway is a piece of cake since blood stands out amazingly well on that really short bright green grass. Today was an exception. While I was out in the woods following the blood trail the greenskeepers were hard at work. Their task for today… leaf blowing and mowing fairways. Unfortunately my buck got to that fairway before they did and that mower works basically like a big gas powered eraser when it comes to blood trails. Since my buck headed out of the woods running lengthwise down the golf course instead of just crossing they could’ve gone back into the woods anywhere on the next 3 holes. Spent 2 hours walking up and down the sides of those holes trying to find where they went back in and pick the trail back up. Between not knowing where to look due to the mower erasing the blood trail and the fact that the leaf blowers burying it under a fresh layer of leaves it was futile. I’m so frustrated. Can’t believe that I screwed up such an easy shot. Also a little annoyed that big buck just happened to be in that exact spot at the perfect time so he could spot my buck running off after I shot him and that today was fairway mowing day because he was loosing a lot of blood and I’d have probably found him eventually if could’ve stayed on the blood trail. Also kind of bummed that I hadn’t been just a little more patient and waited another 5 minutes to shoot because I probably would’ve seen that giant buck by then and would’ve held out for him instead.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  18. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Damn! That's a whole lot of bad events. Sucks that happened. I know when a liver shot deer is pushed, they can go miles. I've seen it many times. Well if you don't find hom at least you know you have a bigger one to chase. Maybe a decoy will work since he seems so aggressive. Don't beat yourself up, just alot of unfortunate events just happened is all.

19. Rjhart12pt

Rjhart12pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In the stand tonight. Really have to find another place to hunt. My friend let's me hunt his 15 acres of woods. Been bowhunting it for years now. His cousin and uncle always hunts gun season and that was it. Last year his daughters boyfriend decided he wants to start hunting. He has 2 stands and 3 cameras out now. His son is out here hunting. He asked if his cousin can hunt and she said yes. So now there are 4 of us on 15 acres and they are out here all the time checking cameras and walking around looking for more places to put more stands. I stopped by Monday to hunt and some guy came walking out of the woods with a gun. I asked who he was and what he was doing. He said he was the boyfriends (Nick) uncle and was given permission to rabbit hunt. There are a bunch of bucks around but I think they all went nocturnal with all the activities here. My doe tag expires in a week so I am on doe patrol unless one of the bucks comes around.

20. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's rough situation. Might be a good idea to keep the property as a option, but sounds like it might be time to find some new property's.