The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Of course here I was all ready to sit tomorrow and lay down some does, but Mother Nature overheard and decided to bring in 2 inches of rain tomorrow. Going to try and get out Saturday night, but for sure Sunday. Leave for Kentucky next Friday which from there on through early December is pretty much rifle or muzzleloader.

farmer rick, ash d and Oldcarp like this.
  2. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went out this morning
    The wind was out of the south at 16
    Temps were 59….it’s now 78
    The farmer to the west was cutting corn as it’s the last field to be cut…my thought was the gleaner would scare the deer from the field into the timber where they could be shot
    Nope
    Saw 2 squirrels & a hawk
    Cameras show activity but not during hunting time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ash d likes this.
  3. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any cold fronts moving through any time soon?

4. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have been lucky enough to have 2 of your team members on our podcast sharing incredible information. I thought I'd share it here so you guys could watch it if you wanted. Thanks again Zach and Ty for coming on. Dave your turn should be coming soon.

5. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for sharing up Tom! Need to get on there again to talk some other strategies for land management soon!

Lester likes this.
  6. Brett Smith

Dislikes Received:
    Today as it’s 37 with 90% of rain & thunderstorms turning to snow overnight (2”) with temps warming back up to 60° Saturday

Oldcarp likes this.
  7. Brett Smith

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    Current radar

8. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like it. Good luck if your out.

9. Brett Smith

Dislikes Received:
    Not today
    Have a fund raiser tonight at 530
    Apparently there is a silent auction tonight & apparently one item is for a pool party (up to 25 guests) with live music (Tyler Anthony) and apparently is being held at my house…thought I should be there for this fiasco

LittleChief and ash d like this.
  10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rains in morning and then stopping early afternoon. I’ll be up a tree somewhere then…chose a day with my son rather than hunt the seventies degrees and he go to daycare.

LittleChief and ash d like this.
  11. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Posted my epic day on LFTS. Sat 11 hrs saw 2 deer.

LittleChief likes this.
  12. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My morning hunt is shut down by rain. My morning hunts have been really slow. Evenings have been better, but deer have been moving late with warm weather. Most evenings get easy chances at does and small bucks. Can't bring myself to shoot a doe now when a big buck might be following. I can hunt every day till the 18 so hopefully I can make it happen by then. The size of buck I'll shoot will keep shrinking the closer I get to the 18. lol

Good luck to team hunting!

MIHOYT89, LittleChief and ash d like this.
  13. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I need a nap. The hunt yesterday evening was a blast. I had sat a tree close to a pond day before yesterday and saw does out of range but had bucks within bow range.

Yesterday afternoon I had my son Greg get in that tree and I set up 60 yards away to try and shoot the does I’d seen.

The wind was blasting and I was 25’ up a pine tree feeling like I was back at sea. Eventually I saw does coming straight to me. The lead doe walked almost right under me. I let her get 10 yards away and then drew, stopped her and made a great double lung shot which Greg got to watch happen.

We both watched it fall. About a minute later he texted “deer”. I thought he was talking about the ones that had come to me but he had a small buck coming in from the other direction.

From that point it seemed like the deer were coming from everywhere.

No bucks showed up that he wanted to shoot and the big does stayed out of bow range for him, so just before it got dark, with Greg looking on, I shot a second one and we watched it fall.

Greg and Virginiashadow did all of the dragging for me. It was only about a hundred yard drag for both deer but I really appreciated it.

I went to bed last night at 12:10 am and of course I woke up at 5:15 and couldn’t go back to sleep so I got up and saw Brett off on his morning hunt. After he left Greg went back to bed and I’m sitting here feeling like I need to do the same.

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Saw zilch tonight, pops set up about 300 yards west of me took a shot at a giant as he described it but clean miss - which is the best kind of miss.

ash d, Oldcarp and LittleChief like this.
  15. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sitting here in my camper after actually managing to sleep in this morning. I slept until 7:30 and woke up to Tony's text about killing his buck, so I got a cup of coffee and tried to flush the cobwebs out of my head as we talked on the phone while he was recovering it.

I'll be going out this afternoon to do a semi-observation sit. There is a really good spot I want to put someone in, so I'm going to sit 100 yards away, watch for movement and if a doe comes by I may shoot another one.

BUT.... today is a special day. My youngest daughter is pregnant and today is her due date. I've been keeping in touch with her and she doesn't think it's going to happen today. If she hasn't delivered by the 10th then they are going to induce her, so sometime before I leave camp I'm going to have another grand-daughter.

My daughter is going to name her Penelope. Her married name is Lein (pronounced Lane). I asked if she was going to call her "Penny" and she said no. I told her that Grandpa is sure going to call her Penny. Penny Lein. :lol:

farmer rick, tynimiller and MIHOYT89 like this.
  16. Brett Smith

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations LC
    It appears the deer here in Nebraska are finally moving & I’m headed out tomorrow.
    I had court (child neglect) scheduled but it got canceled as the babies daddy’s stepped up & took the kids. The mom was sentenced to treatment but somehow got kicked out…not sure how that happens without using again…regardless I’m hunting tomorrow

MIHOYT89, Oldcarp and ash d like this.
  17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    The current wind and the corn just picked make getting in to a prime spot tough in morning. Slipped just in off of good area about a hundred yards.
    Will need a hot doe to make the difference…but over my right shoulder the sunrise is gonna be stellar as always.

Oldcarp, fletch920 and MIHOYT89 like this.
  18. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hello team, I’d apologize for my absence but that trend has grown old. Bottom line, I’m busy as hell and have spent 1 or 2 days in two weeks in the woods.
    I’m about to get screwed over again for this weekend as well, just as things are supposed to get good here, I’ll be stuck doing some BS. Had it not been for being on a team, my gear would be hung up and I wouldn't even attempt to hunt this season. I'm absolutely pissed I had to cancel the Missouri hunting trip, it was literally the only hunting trip I really wanted to make this year and I had to call it off to work around other people. I'm pissed I even feel guilty about trying to manage time in the woods. I had deer in range every time I've been out, but I don't feel like dealing with them if I shot one.
    Bottom-line, I just don't care about hunting this year no matter how hard I try to make myself. At some point I may get some points on the board, but it's difficult to even roll my butt out of the house to even climb a tree. I don't think I've even been on the forum in weeks.
    Other than leave you guy's hanging, I figured I'd at least let you know what's going on. I hope something will change ASAP, but if not, I fear my hunting days are limited. Sorry to bring down the vibe, I'm usually not this negative.

19. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    S. McArthur, Sorry to hear about that. Hang in there

20. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It will be once I find that 200” buck…