The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So got some good news from my uncle. He said he is only going to hunt one stand on the property we hunt together with another guy and I could hunt any of his stands but 1. I don’t think that spot he likes is that good but time will tell. He just put that stand up last year and hasn’t got anything note worthy out of it. His stand is the blue mark, mine are the red and the green in the other guy who hunts there.I’ve been hunting this property for 25 years and those guys probably 40+. All those marks are where ladder stands are I bop around in the climber all over. The other guy that hunts is leaving for 2 weeks so I’ll pretty much have run of the place and get some points on the board for the team. I plan on being on the red dot on the right of the pic tomorrow morning.

tynimiller, farmer rick and Oldcarp like this.
  2. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Ash, did you forget to add a pic?

I'm colorblind, but not that colorblind. :lol:

tynimiller and MIHOYT89 like this.
  3. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I sure did:jaw:. Littlechief you might be able to make out the blobs on the pic?

Attached Files:

LittleChief likes this.
  4. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Ty might be able to, but I can barely see the blobs. :lol:

If I had a PC I could probably do it, but all I have is a MacBook.

5. Mudlake3

Mudlake3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm out in the stand this morning. I haven't been able to get out much, but my camera activity has been picking up. I've been getting this 10 on camera pretty frequently. He is doing a lot of traveling so hopefully we can run into each other.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

6. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's a dandy Mudlake. Good luck this morning.

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Those were tough for me to discern but I think I got it.

I actually am going to be getting "fingers crossed" enchroma glasses this next year...my insurance believes if I get my eye doctor to prescribe them I can use my HSA for them and at that point I will do it.

I kinda don't want to see what I've been missing my whole life color wise, but I also wonder if this will help on blood trails finally too.

farmer rick and LittleChief like this.
  8. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What’s up guys? Again sorry for being mia while in Missouri. It was a heck of a trip with our group going 3 for 4.

I promised a story so here it is. I found a little hidden gem on a huge flat with a river on 3 sides that the deer were using like crazy and it did not disappoint.

Tuesday night the weather finally changed so I moved in. By 4:30 the buck that I hit which was a 130” 8 point, came waking past and I hit him right on the no go zone of the shoulder and right then I was 99% sure he’d live. But I stayed on stand because the guy with me was only hunting 300 yards from me. An hour after that shot I had a mid 150s 10 point follow 2 does right by the stand at 15 yards, talk about a kicking a guy while he was down.

The next morning, Wednesday, we tracked the deer I hit for roughly 1200 yards and finally lost blood. So that night I decided to go back on that flat but I moved my stand 100 yards deeper. I got set up at 3:30 and by 4:30 the buck I killed was laying dead at 60 yards.

Fast forward to Friday night which was our last night in camp. I told Jon to head in and hunt my stand which I left out. He too got in the stand around 3-3:30. Bu 4:15 he had multiple does and the big 10 all around him. The 10 was chasing the does from one side of the flat to the other. Finally coming by Jon at 15 yards, he got drawn and got the buck stopped but right behind a tree and that was the last time he saw him. 10 minutes later a very nice 8 came chasing does across the river right in front of the stand. Jon made a perfect shot and the deer went 30 yards.

While we were dragging his 8 out to the truck we got a call saying that another guy shot a good buck so we hustled up and drove 45 minutes to where he was hunting to give him a hand.

It was anothe amazing trip to MO.

Image1667219040.572054.jpg Image1667219063.235490.jpg View attachment 159954

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Attached Files:

9. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Image1667219256.205175.jpg

Somehow put the wrong group picture in.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

cantexian, farmer rick, JeffC and 2 others like this.
  10. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds and looks like you had a great time Mitch!

MIHOYT89 likes this.
  11. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I’m sitting here trying to get myself motivated. My son Greg made it I’m here from Virginia Saturday evening. Yesterday my daughter and her crew were here to visit with him.

Right now Greg and my wife are in town picking up groceries and other things for the hunt and I need to start loading gear, but I’m feeling a little lazy this morning.

The temps this week will be highs in the mid 70’s and lows in the high 40’s to mid 50’s. Not that good for buck hunting, but I can only shoot does for two more weeks and the does will still move.

ash d likes this.
  12. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, camp this time should be fun! At some point, depending on when cantexian shows up, we may have S.McArthur, Ridgerunner3, cantexian, Virginiashadow and myself in camp at the same time for at least a day or two.

Definitely need to get some pics if that happens.

cantexian, Oldcarp, MIHOYT89 and 4 others like this.
  13. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Like I’ve said before, if the Enchroma glasses weren’t so crazy expensive and didn’t have plastic lenses I’d probably have some by now.

It sure is tempting though. I’ve often wondered how everyone else sees the world.

14. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely a good hunting camp right there! Miss stories of hunting camps like these!

MIHOYT89 likes this.
  15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Zach and Fletch how's the doe hunting going? Bout as good as my buck hunting LOL

Team Haastyle, ash d and MIHOYT89 like this.
  16. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I still have a total of 2.5 hours in the woods. Trying to get my office remodel done and getting everything at home and the farms ready for winter. If you remember old members Shultzy and Rob/PA I will be seeing them soon. Steve and his Dad head this way tomorrow and I am not sure when Rob gets here yet. But, they have been down a time or two and hunted with another old member, Mark Cooper. Mark bought some ground here and I helped him with stands etc., and helped him recover and process his first bow buck. Anyway, they have been putting in for 5 years to get a tag and sadly, Coop recently passed away. He promised those guys that they still had hunting rights to his ground but when they checked in with his family the other day, they were told no. I saw Steve's post about it on Facebook and reached out to offer some help and a couple spots to hunt. So, I am really looking forward to hosting some original members of these forums and spending a little time with some good guys. I am sure I will do a little hunting while they are here so I can make Steve help me drag! lol. I hope to have them out to the cabin for a few evenings of good food and beverage and tall tales. It is a real blessing to be at the stage in my hunting life that I would get more enjoyment out of watching someone else have some success than worry about myself. It does not hurt that I already have a good buck this year! :lol: But honestly, it would not have changed a thing. Steve has already offered to swap me a bear hunt, so life is very, very good. It really is what hunting should be and I am so glad to be at that stage in my life. To be continued.........

dmen, MIHOYT89, farmer rick and 2 others like this.
  17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    oh man those two I miss being active!!! Lots of awesome memories from here with both, pass my hello over to them both! Actually I believe I am friends with Steve on FB and might remember seeing that post in passing - super cool of you my man!!!

hopefully you guys are needing to drag some deer and drink some celebratory beers!!!!

ash d and fletch920 like this.
  18. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know it’s probably blasphemy but I may not hunt in the morning or at least at first light. 9 hrs in the stand today took the wind out of my sails a bit and only seeing 1 doe. Still got some stuff to do before bed so it looks like a late night besides. I still have 10 days before I have to go to work. Good luck guys who are getting after it tomorrow.

Oldcarp and MIHOYT89 like this.
  19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    oh I get it those two full days of nearly nothing seen was long. I have no doubt I’ll put in a couple more all days here in the next ten days or so.

Good luck when you get out there again brother!!!

MIHOYT89 and ash d like this.
  20. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I promise to put in another two hour sit real soon! :beer: