Team 14 - Field of Beams

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by beavertronic, Aug 28, 2022.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Guessing that would be Pike, maybe Adams. Pike is the destination county of IL, low population and high deer density coupled with mostly leased/outfitted land gets some big bucks. Timing wise you nailed it, but guessing you already know that :lol:

mylsuhat likes this.
  2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A week from tonight I'll be sleeping for my first sit on public in November, can't believe it's only 4 days until November.

Going to be spending the next week getting everything together for a weeks grind. Have gas money set aside hoping the weather cooperates for hunting every day, but realistically I know that probably won't happen but hope to get in 7 days at least.

Been searching all the campgrounds and lack of motels around the area but motels are booked and campgrounds have no showers.

Can't justify $25 a day to camp and having to drive an hour home to shower then back each night, so will just go with lack of sleep and drive back and forth.

Will be going in blind first morning and adjust from there. 45% confidence level and 30 of that is due to being November :lol:

Best time of the year is finally here.

camo75 and trial153 like this.
  3. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to bounce thoughts off us feel free, I am sure all the guys here would be willing to help. Myself I have been hunting public for 35 years. I am far from knowing everything. One of the biggest things I have learned over the years is don't get stuck on a spot. Be willing to bounce around and hunt the freshest sign even during the rut. Use the other hunting pressure to your advantage. Have fun and good luck!

mylsuhat and trial153 like this.
  4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am back on the beans, switched positions a bit. Hopefully it pays off. One thing we learned about this farm is that we didn’t prepare for easterly winds, which wasn’t something common around here…so we been floundering a bit. Next season we will have a handful of stands just in case . [​IMG]

camo75 and wibowhntr like this.
  5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Site name is Jim Edgar Panther Creek. Here's a general overview, notice the western unit is still a part of the same area just separated by private lands. Nearly 16,000 acres.

Screenshot_20221028-125854_onX Hunt.jpg

wibowhntr and trial153 like this.
  6. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Last sit in KY before I hit the road. Can’t wait to get back down on this farm again next season. I am already making plans for an early spring scouting and stand moving trip then late summer to hang cams. [​IMG]

wibowhntr likes this.
  7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Actually found a campground that has showers that would save me an hour roundtrip. Have to call tomorrow to see if they're booked up or not, then have do some math to see if it's cost effective vs tike effective.

Either way I'll be on rutcation this time next week.

Just a man and 16,000 acres of hay looking for that needle :lol:

wibowhntr likes this.
  8. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Had a doe and fawn at 10 years broadside from the ground. Wife says I am getting soft since I didn't shoot the doe since the fawn looked small. Here is the opening they were in. 20221028_155930.jpg

9. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday morning escouting to figure out where to hunt with this south wind. 20221029_072832.jpg

10. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  11. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    cls74 likes this.
  12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Was going to ask the same thing, my guess is one of 3 things. Was hanging a set or something other than actively hunting so no bow, has a specific target in mind or it's too early based on other bucks known. Might even be a combination of the 3. Looked like a shooter to me as well.

13. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Spotted him the night before running with a large group of does (20+) and a much larger buck. Slipped into the stand we have in that corner the next morning and the one I filmed strolled down on his own and I immediately knew he wasn’t the big boy. He was 18 yards in that phone shot so he was toast……..not long after something spooked all those does into the woods and down the hill he came with them. He hung up about 50-60 yards out and glassing him he looks to be about mid 130’s with great curled brows…….just an excellent buck. 10-15 minutes later he starts heading straight for me and I was sure I was getting a shot…..2 of the does just started strolling away as he approached and he literally just glanced at them and casually veered off to go with them

Taking another run at him in the morning. He looks a lot like this buck I killed on the same hill 2 years ago…..maybe a bit higher, wider and better brows.

4F1B2FA3-0335-435A-BB43-FC47926EAE58.jpeg

fshafly2, wibowhntr and camo75 like this.
  14. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That’s a beautiful buck! I hope you can make it happen. Good luck!!!

15. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Entered my buck. I will try to take a doe in NY for the score card. Haven’t seen much for bucks on my cams, but who knows. Go out or Illinois the end of Nov and beginning of Dec.. hopefully something else pans out. Everyone is doing great on the team, keep it up! Good luck and stay safe!!

camo75 and wibowhntr like this.
  16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Can you enter time of kill on your entry, thanks!

trial153 likes this.
  17. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well this a first. First hunt on the new piece of property my wife and I bought this summer, it boarders our house and other property on the north east side it’s not very big ( 30 acres) but it gives me more of a buffer and a bunch of road frontage.

This stand is the Fisher cat stand. It’s where a swamp crosses a power line right of way. Haven’t got any good buck pictures in here this year but I have gotten a lot of does, smaller bucks, a couple bears, a bob cat…and the friendly neighborhood Fisher cat that Eats everything it can get it’s teeth on.

Good luck everyone!!

wibowhntr and cls74 like this.
  18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    With @trial153's entry we are 4 1/2 points out of third heading into November. Probably be closer to 1 point if @Trlblzr3 gets his two H4's added to the scorecard.

wibowhntr and camo75 like this.
  19. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like trlblzr is about to uodate his score, will be 1/4 point out of third unless someone shot something tonight.

trial153 likes this.
  20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Any idea what that fisher is carrying? Looks a bit big/dark to be a grey squirrel. I'm not familiar with them to know what size it is.