My first recurve

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by HJC84, Mar 16, 2022.

1. HJC84

HJC84 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Got an itch to try the traditional thing and picked up a Grizzly in 45# for my first recurve. I’m gonna try GoldTip Trad in 400spline that I’ve cut to length for my draw. I’ve got 100gr brass inserts in them drying tonight so I can go shoot them tomorrow at the range. I installed some silencers on the string and will have to place my brass knock point on it also. I did try some of my carbon arrows in the backyard and it shoots very nice but I’m sure my GT’s should do much better. Image1647466634.915805.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the new bow. My first bow ever was a Kodiak Bear at 45#'s. I borrowed from my FIL. . My archery guy set me up with Easton 2114 lites 4 feather fletch and 100 gr. Muzzy 4 blades. So long ago carbons weren't invented yet...lol Took my first bow deer with that, 7 pt buck. Gosh that was fun shooting and got me hooked. Enjoy.....

3. C Ethridge

C Ethridge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have thought about the recurve aspect but have not convinced myself yet. Its mostly because of my limited time to take off from work / family and me not wanting to miss a chance at a farther yardage, but I sure do admire the people that do !!!

4. jarin matthews

jarin matthews Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Going to be my first year also. I've shot compound for many years. Ive been practicing all year for this season, I really like the challenge of it an it's very addictive once you starting shooting it on the regular good luck this year

5. Robert Rankin

Robert Rankin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice, I got the traditional bug after I starting shooting low poundage recurves as rehab from shoulder replacement surgery. I have shot compounds for 40+ years and I just picked up a Bear Cheyenne 55"AMO 53#@28" and a Bear Kodiak Hunter 60" AMO 50#@28", am having a blast with them.

oldnotdead likes this.
  6. Lina Roth

Lina Roth Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds like you're excited to try out traditional archery with your new Grizzly recurve bow and GoldTip Trad arrows! It's always exciting to try out a new bow and arrows, and it's great that you're taking the time to properly set up your equipment with silencers and a brass knock point.

Using the correct spine and weight of arrows for your bow is important for achieving optimal performance and accuracy, so it's great that you've chosen the 400 spine and 100 grain brass inserts for your GoldTip arrows. Testing them out at the range will give you a good idea of how well they perform with your bow.

Remember to always practice proper safety measures when shooting your bow and arrows, such as wearing appropriate safety gear and using a safe and designated shooting range. Have fun and enjoy your new equipment!