Team 6 - Any Six

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by mathewsmq1, Aug 28, 2022.

1. Justin Goins

Justin Goins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah my first year doing this contest was in 2019 and almost my whole team just disappeared. Last year I had a really good team that was active on here. We ended up in second place. A lot of teams do a group chat or and a group text. I wouldn't mind doing something like that.

Westfinger likes this.
  2. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
    Swamp Stalker and Westfinger like this.
  3. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like Joe had a good sit. That keeps up we’ll have some points in the board in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Goins and Swamp Stalker like this.
  4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Mornin y'all! I had a great sit last night, I was at full draw before I had put my camo shirt on! Not sure what was going on, and I asked myself several times, am I in the same woods I've hunted since the late 80s? Long read, sorry!

I started out with a few scouting chores to do as I hadn't stepped foot in the woods since last November. I started with the white oaks, no sign of any on the tree or the ground. It's been that way for the past 4 years. No red acorns on the ground either, just leftovers from last year. We also had a severe drought for most of the summer, the ferns were yellowing already, a month or so earlier than normal.

I decided to check out the area where I've spent a majority of my years and holds a spot in my heart. It's a very small ridge, more like a long mound, maybe a 10' change in elevation at most. The bucks traditionally cruise this ridge during the rut to catch the rising thermals from both sides, which each have a wet season water source. Other than that, it is usually dead with night time movement only. My dad shot his biggest buck in this area, and I shot the butt shot buck on this ridge and last year, was playing cat and mouse with a nice buck who beds near by.

I was mainly checking to see if the buck had made it through the shotgun season. On my way in, as suspected, the two small creeks were dried up, but a bit damp. I also noticed things were a bit greener near the creek beds, which was also something I was wanting to check out as a potential food source. Once i got to the ridge, and went to the bucks scrape line from last year, I noticed quite a bit of droppings, fawn size and doe size. With a head nod, I felt a bit better as I felt my assumption of things being greener were providing a better food and possible water source.

Of course the scrapes werent open, but after following it, i noticed the tell tale sign of the larger hoof prints, and the clumped droppings. I knew he had made it. I thought, it is september 16th, first cooler weather of the season, there is a good chance with this moon phase that the deer are still on a summer patern, and I might catch a glimpse of him. With nothing to lose I found a nice straight tree 20 yards off his run and climbed up.

I had just pulled up my bow, knocked an arrow and hung it when I caught movement to my left. With my quiver still in hand I saw something skinny and brown moving, "holy sh!t, that's a deer!" It was a small spike walking along the ridge. I stowed my quiver, grabbed my bow, and had to rotate as he was on my offside. I came to full draw....but what pin to use? He was further than 20, but was he as far as 30 yards? I split the 20 and 30, and wasn't comfy with it. Should I place a bad shot, he'd sit over night, most likely spoiling in the early season. I drew down and let him go. A few minutes later, I ranged it, 33 yards. I never like to force a shot. and was very comfortable with my decision.

I finished getting ready and thought, "well, gonna be a long sit. what are the chances of me seeing another deer?" About 20 minutes later I was on my phone on the LFTS thread and I heard a small twig snap to my left. There was a fawn on the mound/ridge! Not gonna lie, I reached for my bow. I then caught movement behind the fawn and it was momma. They never came closer than 40 yards, but were feeding the whole time at ground level eating something that was growing on the ground. The fawn came within 30 yards, I clipped my release on...lol If it broke 25 yards it was getting an arrow launched, I havent killed a deer since 2017. the fawn never came closer.

I spent the next hour watching the fawn and doe eat. I then caught more movement to my left. It was another small doe, which turned out to be a spike. Bow in hand....25 yards moving through some thicker stuff heading towards the doe, no shot. the sun was getting ready to set and I noticed a few more deer near the doe and fawn. "WTF is going on?" I thought to myself. why the hell am I seeing so many deer? this is INSANE for these woods. Darkness was creeping in and they started working their way towards me. at 30 yards I saw that it wasnt the doe and fawn, rather 2 spikes and a forkhorn. I raised my bow up and could barely see my pins. gotta keep it 20 yards and under at this point. sunset was at 6:56, it was now 6:51. CT is a huntng ends at sunset state. As I said earlier, I do not like forcing shots, it never ends well. If it is meant to be, it is meant to be and a clean shot will present itself.

sunset came and the bucks were still at 30 yards. I hung my bow up, and just watched. a few minutes go by and of course the bucks are under 10 yards away. I hear a solid crunch crunch, and sure as sh!t, it was the buck that I played cat an mouse with at the end of last year. He was coming in right where I thought he would. All I could do was hope my night vision was good enough to watch. He was under my tree sniffing where I had stood. I had put some brand new evercalm on my boots and He didn't seemed threatened by my scent. He was clearly still in summer mode, and didnt' check his email to see that it was hunting season.

at 7:30 they were still milling around eating and it was starting to get old, LOL! I unknocked my arrow cause I realized I could still be considered as hunting with an arrow nocked. I could have stayed there for another hour or more and then get busted when I was climbing down and kill the spot. Instead, I chose to scare them off with some music from my phone. The last song I listened to when I pulled up to the parking spot was Thunderkiss 65' by White Zombie...

This is what the deer heard at 730 last night and took off running without blowing. This is 2022 hunting theme song. I swear when the heavy part kicks in after the guitar riff, is when the deer took off running!!

PinkPony, Justin Goins and Westfinger like this.
  5. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    That’s awesome Joe. This is your year. Stay after them!

Justin Goins and Swamp Stalker like this.
  6. WISCONSINBUCKHUNTER

WISCONSINBUCKHUNTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would be open for a group text! Hoping to sit next Sunday afternoon with the cooler temps here in WI. Got some mock scrapes fired up today. And a few more bucks showing up in daylight!

Attached Files:

7. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
    Dang Joe i was following in the LFTS thread and you were having a lot of action. Lol this is your year! Enjoy the concerts then get back out there and get us on the board! @WISCONSINBUCKHUNTER nice bucks! Hopefully you get a shot at one next Sunday! Everyone want to do a group text? Everyone can pm me their number and i could start a group text? If everyone wants to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Looking good!

Justin Goins likes this.
  9. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I’d be up for that.

Justin Goins likes this.
  10. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
  11. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got a picture of a shooter hitting a mock scrape I built a couple seasons ago.
    Not the best pictures but if he keeps hitting that scrape during daylight we are going to meet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Swamp Stalker and Justin Goins like this.
  12. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice looking buck WF!
    He's got a few years on him.

Swampy, that music would chase a starving griz with a abbessed tooth off a fresh moose kill!:eek2:

Westfinger, Swamp Stalker and JeffC like this.
  13. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice looking bucks y'all!

Justin Goins and Westfinger like this.
  14. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
    Westfinger and Wisconsinbuckhunter have messaged me their number so far. Hoping everyone wants to be in the group text but if not no hard feelings. Lol I decided i’m going to check my cameras one last time this Friday before my season starts Oct 1st. I’m hoping the farmer that farms the land i hunt keeps the corn in for atleast the first week of season but he usually harvests a couple days before season starts. Been shooting my bow a lot. Noticed already having wear on the serving down by the cam. Bear strings are notorious for that i have read. Besides that shooting really good and ready for opening day!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

15. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will get in on the group text later. I still have 6 weeks until I hunt.

16. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    No pressure on the group text thing. You can always join and turn off notifications if you don’t want your phone blowing up that first week in November when we take the lead.

Forecast for Saturday’s opener is looking decent. If it holds I will probably try and get out. If nothing else it will give me an opportunity to get my gear together, washed and ready to go.
    I will probably run over to the lease today and pull some cards, move a couple cameras, check a few stands. That way the place will have a few days to settle down before the opener.&

17. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sent my number for the group text.

Joe, what an awesome start! I hope it continues staying active.

18. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah if you don't want to be in the group text you don't have to. Just thought maybe it would be easier to be in touch. Like Westfinger said you can turn off notifications if you want to join until your season starts. I'll probably start the group text at the end of this week. LFTS is starting to pick up more and more. I am shocked @LittleChief hasn't killed a doe yet at least lol.

19. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, first two bucks on the score board....giants. Dang.

20. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Card pull was uneventful, a couple blurry pictures of a couple decent 2.5 year olds that’s it nothing to exciting.

Lady Forge and Swamp Stalker like this.