The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have wanted to own a camper van for several years but knew I really did not have time to use it much. Since I semi-retired in January and find myself with a more flexible schedule, I started looking somewhat seriously. We were in Breckenridge, Colorado for a few days last week and I found a nice one on a lot there. It got me really serious about making a purchase and my wife got the bug also. She found a great one on the internet and I just bought it yesterday over FaceTime. Now I just have to figure out getting it home from Connecticut! lol. I think we will probably fly out there and spend a few days driving it home and doing a little sightseeing on the way. So, now I can live in an old van down by the river. It will make for some fun hunting trips also. :)
    IMG_0248.jpg IMG_0247.jpg 2018Airstream.jpg

farmer rick likes this.
  2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is a very good chance it was built here in my home county if made in US....RV capital of the world and tons of those high end van conversion set ups are made here. INSANELY nice.

MIHOYT89 likes this.
  3. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I am excited to get my hands on it. I used to insure a guy that went to Indiana every week and towed campers back to Iowa. I did not realize they did the conversions there also. Now, if I could just find someone to jump in it and drive it here next week, I would be all set! lol

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yup I work in real estate valuations - and hold my pre-licensing work to go commercial appraiser route if public servant in the public sector doesn't pan out and have toured most of the local facilities. When you get your hands on it I'll be curious who did it, and I could possibly even tell you want plant and address it was done at.

Those things are in massive demand and years back were the thing of the next generation many of the local companies started shifting lots of production too...now a lot of them are dabbling in electric versions of them and even large RVs now...its nuts.

fletch920 likes this.
  5. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Too bad you didn't find it two weeks ago, I was up there visiting my family. I could have got it to TN and broke in the toilet for you.

That thing is really nice, my wife wants one but as you said, time is limited for us now. Where in CT is it? I can point you to some good food/drinks if it's eastern CT.

6. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    Different area
    Different camera
    Different buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer! TN would definitely be closer and I am no stranger to cleaning toilets. :lol:

It is near Greenwich, CT. My wife has already mapped out a route that hits some good breweries in the North-East and only adds about 11 hours to our ride home. lol. I think we may fly out and take several days to drive it back. Our other option is to just hire someone to fly out and get it back to Iowa. It is going through the dealership shop for final prep and we don't know yet when it will be ready to roll. Any suggestions for good food and drink are always appreciated.

8. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On my way to South Africa today
    I’m in Houston now
    Not sure of WiFi in order to keep in touch but I can assure you….I’ll be thinking of team 12 daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last weekend I top dressed fertilizer on a small food plot that's on the edge of a hay field. Been a camera there for a while without much on it. Still had a licking branch from last year still up so I decided to freshen it up with some scrape scent. My renter made the hay there this week so I decided to check it after only a week. Really surprised me on the bachelor group that showed up and how interested they were with the scrape and licking branch. Never got a good picture of the big buck standing off to the side lol.

Attached Files:

ash d, Oldcarp and fletch920 like this.
  10. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Farmer Rick, Some nice looking bucks

11. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    I had three grandchildren and three my son‘s hunting the last three days with me. my youngest son had a deer tag. He had a few close encounters and a couple missed shots on some really nice mule deer bucks. He had his son with him so he decided to shoot this two point. It was a good stock a good shot and My grandson was astatic.

Attached Files:

fletch920, farmer rick and ash d like this.
  12. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pulled my 1st camera of the year definitely nothing to brag about but I did learn something. I noticed a posted sign was put up about 30yds from my camera that the land owner bordering the property I hunt. What I found interesting was he and his dog sat that for a couple minutes and after they walked away about 15 minutes later deer were walking on the same path. Years past if I was in a tree and saw someone walking with a dog in the woods I would have packed up and left. Guess I have to learn to sit tight.

Oldcarp likes this.
  13. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    73% chance I’m about to go out for velvet hunt, I’m drinking some water now and packing stuff, may sit in the creek, might sit in the pre-set stand. I’d prefer the creek since it’d be cooler, but there’s no beans down there.

MIHOYT89, fletch920, ash d and 2 others like this.
  14. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Sit the creek and get 'em coming to the beans. :lol:

Good luck Steve!

Oldcarp likes this.
  15. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah, I don't like it but I won't move.

The first time I ever hunted Wattensaw I walked in with a friend of mine. I was going to set up right on the road but he said "No, you don't want to sit on the road, so I set up 50 yards off the road.

About two hours before dark I saw a hound dog trotting up the road. About 30 minutes later I heard voices coming yelling "Cowboy!". The voices got closer and it was three guys on horseback looking for the hound. They rode on and about 30 minutes later they came back with Cowboy in tow.

A half hour after that a nice shooter 8 point walked that same road following the same path as the horses and the dog. Out of range, of course, because I listened to my non-deer killing friend. :lol:

cantexian, Oldcarp and ash d like this.
  16. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    That’s what I want to do but there’s no beans in the bottom by the creek, it’s grown up, they never planted it. It used to be the early season hot spot, but there was always beans. I guess the farmer got sick of the low field flooding and killing the crop.
    Might still be good, but I think my other spot up too would be more productive…and balls hot, it’s like 90 and a billion humidity index.

LittleChief likes this.
  17. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Steve!

18. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Go after Steve and good luck.

19. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Morning guys! I’m finally in go mode. My work trips kept piling up but I am finally 100% done with the job in upstate New York as of about 2 weeks ago and I just got home on Saturday from a much needed family vacation with my boys.

I spent all day yesterday checking/hanging stands. I pulled out of a small property because the land owner and his boys (8 and 11) started to get into hunting last year, I told him I was only a phone call away left him a case of beer for the last few year of hunting and left on great terms. I did stop at one of my main rut time properties and the land owner said he didn’t want any hunting this year due to grand kids playing out back more and more, I won’t lie that one stung but he has all my info and he said if anything changes I would be his first call to take care of the deer.

On a high note I did pick up a piece of property right after I lost the other one. I did a quick scouting mission, picked out 3 trees to hang stands and will go in there this week to hang them. With all of the old and new sign that I saw I am pretty excited about the new property.

I can’t believe that the majority of the states are within a month or less of opening day!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Oldcarp likes this.
  20. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Good to see everybody’s starting to prepare and go after it.
    My son called me last night and said he heard elk starting to bugle. I’ll be up again this Wednesday through Friday night. Then next Monday through Friday.
    Here are a couple more pictures of where we hunt.

Attached Files: