I love surprises

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by oldnotdead, Jun 15, 2022.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hubby had a demo at work and I got 4 SS shower panels and a door brought home with brackets. Now on there side the brackets will screw into the tower platform perfectly. Each would be 33in high by fifty 2 long just about the base of one of the destroyed doghouse blinds. Also there are 5 or 6 ft As up rights. Now theses are light weight card board filled for structure. They won't be weight baring and will make rebuilding the blinds a breeze, cheap too. The lower walls a breeze and the upper ones and roof easy attachments with the red wood siding we have from a rehab..Hubby says, but paint may not stick ...got that covered. I have 8 eight old shelf tact vinyl on the door of two blinds covering cardboard and they are still dry. That wood grain vinyl should stick great to smooth SS. I'm stoked to get it started.....of course he had to tell me, gee if I knew..I tossed 60 painted panels from last job...ewww boy ..lol

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  2. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So after 10-12 yrs out year round the snow loads and winter winds fin a lot took out my two dog house tower blinds. I been trying to find time to do the rebuilds. Well today A. J and I started the oak flats one I got the two 6'6" corner posts up and took Two of the stainless steel side walls out. Got the one set. But not connected. I ordered 18"x 60' of visual contact paper in light oak wood grain. Not first choice but for now cheapest and quickest solution. I Have to set the swivel rolling chair on platform to get shooting height fir gun and cross bow. The Windows will be tall for me to stand and draw my compound. I need to use up the pallet of 4x 8 card board I bought years ago so the top.walls will be covered card board nailed to the red wood siding. Not set on Windows or door yet. the bling walls will be 6'6" angling down to 5'6"rubber roofing.

3. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well this build is going faster than expected framed up on the bottom 3 sides that leaves the door way wall. Framing for "windows" top walls and roof. Deer flies about chewed me to pieces! The roof will be my only challenge I have to measure my roofing rubber to size it up. I have 2 pieces left the roll was 8 or 10 ft, wide, so length is the only possible issue. I've decided to go flat spaced red wood planks with a cross center brace doubled card board wrapped in the roofing rubber attached to that. I'll take some process pics in a day or so.

4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Took A J for his walk before leaving. Took progress pics

20220718_095308.jpg 20220718_095241.jpg 20220718_095206.jpg 20220718_094913.jpg 20220718_094729.jpg

5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    This build is going pretty fast. Today I promised hubby I would not over do it in this heat. So after weeding and working the garden this morning I went out and worked on the blind. I have the top framed out for the roof and the Windows framed out. I just need to build top wall Panama cover the lower panels and frame in end wall for door and window. I think I'll do a Dutch door where the solid bottom half will swimg in and the top will be a flip up window.

Ha.. I wrote that yesterday never finished it ...Well my visual covering showed up a stay early. The rain stopped so I'll go out and see what I can get done wrapping the wall panels.

6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    That was easy peasy. ..wrapped the panels. Secured back side with gorilla tape and then spray painted one coat to darken inside. Firmed structure right up. Now I'll work on the door wall move to food and get top panels on. Windows are the last thing.

20220721_154439.jpg 20220721_154358.jpg 20220721_141310.jpg

7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well hung had some laminate counter top pieces that he gave me I sealed open edges then wrapped in vinyl. I found some scrap brass rehab hinges for big school doors. I took panels out and set the door. Set hinges at house and of course backwards. So my door will swing out not in...no buggy. It swings easy and quietly. I went over to the barn and pulled out 6 harried sheets of cardboard. Now just need to finish end wall framing and the window frames. Go buy the tarps to cut fit and wrap the cardboard upper walls above Windows. I'll double card board and wrap in a,cheap blue then a camp tarp. The father pieces will be the roof cover over red wood boards. Those will also get a cheap blue tarp but rubber roofing over that. .
    Then to the actual Windows. I think these will be flip down Windows this time.

8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Today at Tractor supply I ran across A 5 x 7ft roll of fake turf that it's perfect in the blind. It will seal the spaces in decking to keep the cold winds from getting me and seal out bugs and critters. It was on sale for 14.00 . I did a template on roofing boards that will work great and be easy to set. It's looking pretty sweet already.

dnoodles likes this.
  9. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    coming along nicely

10. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks I'll get more pics as soon as I can find a good price on camo tarps for the side walls. Yesterday I was amazed at how empty the shelves were at TSC. I'm trying not to do the Amazon route and stay local.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Plugging away, no one had heavy duty camo tarps I did not want to wait so dark brown it is. I can always adjust later next year when I paint it. Rubber roofing piece will give two roofs yey! Forgot how heavy it is geez. Will use a few more sheets of card board than expected. Not pretty now but will be. Besides pretty in blinds doesn't alway equal warm..lol

20220729_153219.jpg 20220729_153128.jpg 20220729_115612.jpg 20220729_115541.jpg

12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    St to get a by Chris done but made the mistake of going he first...I did finish the third real.

So the end wall with door to finish then the roof to stay out of the rains that are coming. The Windows will then be started as well as the other blind. That will get the frame roof then bottom walls done. If that is all I can get this year so be it. At the very least it will be finished enough to hide whether I'm in it or not. This is a trespassers blind that I can hunt from. But keeping AH off the property is the biggest thing.

Wow WTH WAS THAT? I fixed that twice before I hit send.
    So I think I wrote went down to get some more work done. I finished the third top wall.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Now that I fixed that above post AGAIN...Today I got most of roof decking done. I ran out of wood. I got a partial framing of door wall in and measured all window openings for framing.
    I have to take the long pole saw and a big ladder down before roof can get finished. I also need to pick up another brown tarp to finish door upper wall. Roof may prove to be a PITA. The blind is a tad taller than I thought. My other blinds had outer open decks that gave me easy access to the roof . This build does not have that.
    Done for today hubby grounded me..lol the heat is building and he is all worried about my getting heat stroke.

MUDSHARK likes this.
  14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Got all roof decking cut and up. Now all I need to do is put the coverings on. It will be double card board with a blue tarp cover and the rubber roofing piece secured over all that. That's all today due to serious leg cramping the last couple of days....too much bending over pulling weeds and picking veggies. Also forgetting to eat and drink. Today was a great day to black berry pick.

15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Hubby is off mowing camp, I have the cardboard up and the bluetarp is about set. In to get a couple of things and eat lunch. Need to build some umph to be able to climb the 16 ft ladder with that 30# or so piece of rubber roofing. If I can get it up there I'll unfold and spread it out the best I can. I'll then have to move the ladder to the.other tall side and secure it. Thinking screwing aboard across the over hangs on the top and down sides leaving the lower end for a free flow of water....wish me luck, hoping to wrap it up in an old tarp tie it off with a line and pull it up from top of ladder. Then just need to place door side upper wall,no buggy and the window builds. 8 Windows all will hing down except the one over door that will hing in like a door. Most will be 27" wide and the depth depends on what side they are on. I did depth by angle of land and what I needed for a bow shot with compound.. some shots would have to be standing shots do to drop off from stand.

16. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    She is done save Windows and top end wall. It was actually a breeze putting the roof on. I have no Gator so have to walk all supplies down. I had a huge freezer bag with stuff in it to take down. Got there and realized with a bit better folding and a bunch of shoving the roofing would go in bag. Over my shoulder and up we went. the over hang on sides made installing planks unnecessary. I just folded them under and stapled. I did put up a top plank. Even with sufficient fold over that side gets a lot of wind..
    I built the entire thing using scrap wood, a bow saw, tape measure, screw gun and screws, a couple of tarps, card board, a box cutter and gorilla tape, scrap roofing rubber. Oh and school shower stall walls , vinyl tac paper and
    Plans were in my head.....
    A bit better paint on redwood next year and she should last a very long time.

17. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So got end wall upper section done and hinged two windows but only finished one. Un expected rain and I need to get back to house ,walking . I'm using up all scap cut pieces for window builds, waste not want not. Pics fir today

20220815_131910.jpg 20220815_131845.jpg 20220815_131744.jpg 20220815_131643.jpg

MUDSHARK likes this.
  18. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I won't bore you with the other builds they will end up basically the same. Pics of inside will be at hunting time have material clean up to do .
    A warm wind free place to hunt in a cold ny winter or spring turkey . Pic of windows closed and shooting space open. I stand to draw compound so size measured for a standing shot on a hill side 20220825_100242.jpg 20220825_094625.jpg

19. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    These are the last pics for this blind. I got the cleaning done so this is the inside. I hope this gave some ideas to those wanting a blind on a budget.

20220825_125219.jpg 20220825_125146.jpg