The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome you have history with an old buck like that. I never could keep track of any bucks longer than a couple years. My son in law had history with an old buck for a few years. Figured he was 8 years old when he finally killed him with a bow. I need to get better pictures and tell the story about it. Second biggest bow buck shot in Wis. that year.

ash d likes this.
  2. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just spent $165 at Tethrd, so you can say I took my first step about being serious. Now, to get to the "hard" work setting up for the season.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas I finally made it to my personal place yesterday (took vacation day) as thunderstorms were predicted to hit and drop about an inch of rain.

Actually got a lot more done than I figured, fired up the chainsaw upon arrival because the morning due was too intense for spraying clethodim I had for grass issue areas. Cleared some islands of cover that I used to be able to look through or across out of my prime stand....about 8 sapling (calf size trunks) down and out.

Mowed clovers VERY high with brush hog just to clip weeds in them...cleth hit a ton of them. I also mowed a grass heavy trail that is at 35 - 40 yards from stand that we widened this spring short, cleth and seeded radishes into it now.

Rest of property's main foodsources were planted into buckwheat heavy this spring (may believe was) and they were JUST starting to show some yellow leaves in areas and the seed heads were drying so I overseeded my brassicas only now there too, brushhogged the buckwheat down to act as a thatch layer and lesson the amount of buckwheat regerm.....I'll come back in about three to four weeks to seed some cereal grains of choice into portions of plots but this will hopefully have allowed the brassicas (especially radishes and turnips) a head start to mature and not be out competed by grains if planted together from the start. Want bulb size production increase so went this route vs all at same time and later like we do a lot of.

Didn't really have many cameras over there, but reloaded a few that were dead, hung two new ones...but did get confirmation of my two top targets lived, an awesome young 10 lived I'm curious to see how he fills out this year and the 7+ year old wounded deer I "think" I got pictures of.

4. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    LC do you have any tips to hunt the larger woods in Kentucky? Things to look for, preferred browse, etc.? Plan right now is to find game trails. hopefully some oaks with acorns, and use the contours to hopefully try and pinpoint them.

5. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I hate to say it but no, I don’t.

Where I hunt in Kentucky there are only tiny patches of woods surrounded by crop land. The largest wood patch I hunt there might be 10 acres.

6. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Glassing bean field, pretty sure I found the buck i want, I think I counted 10, it’s so hot my lenses keep fogging and I don’t want to move much.

Oldcarp and ash d like this.
  7. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bit the bullet during that First Lite sale if you want to call it that and bought the Omen storm shelter coat and pants. I want to hunt more during the rain or get out during it so when it stops I’ll be ready. New range finder this year and back to a smaller peep. My accuracy struggled when I went to a bigger one. Have to get shooting and all my stands need attention. I’ve been busy with work and the new puppy. If I work tomorrow I’ll have 70. Hrs for the week and I’m not salary so that should help put a little towards the rain gear.

Team Haastyle, Mudlake3 and Oldcarp like this.
  8. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First Lite certainly isnt' cheap, but dang they make some great stuff. That sale almost sucked me in as well.... oh wait.... it did :biggrin:

ash d likes this.
  9. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What did you get? I was reading up on the Sitka rain gear and the reviews weren’t that great. This will be my first First Lite gear.

MIHOYT89 likes this.
  10. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys. Remember the big 8 point I wounded early in the season? He’s still there.
    I just got these two pics from Josh.

The first pic was taken with a phone. He’s the one on the right in that one.
    upload_2022-8-8_14-38-39.jpeg
    upload_2022-8-8_14-39-25.jpeg

11. farmer rick

Dislikes Received:
    Wow both look good. Hope you get another chance at him this year.:bow:

12. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They all look like shooters to me.

13. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I got fed up with my SPYPOINT cameras & worked out a deal with the district manager for store credit at my local Scheels.
    I returned 3 SPYPOINT
    My friend returned his 3
    Got $119 for each old POS cameras
    We each Bought 3 Tactacam for $119 each
    Deployed them today after work
    The picture quality is noticeably better
    I’ll share if I get something worth sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I think you’re going to like the Tactacams Brett.

15. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LC, like Ash said they both look like good bucks.
    I miss putting cameras out.

16. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    First doe with the Tactacam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone need $25 of orders of $149 from KUIU? I’ll move my thumb for the code. You can get it on the site as well, so it’s not too cool.
    Not that it’s probably that cool, it came in the mail and this seemed like a better idea than the trash can.
    E46949A2-61B2-4767-8923-D83345777CE9.jpeg 5E383CDC-365E-4251-AF3B-A137A623F4F6.jpeg

LittleChief likes this.
  18. Mudlake3

Mudlake3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Having 2 small kids, now 3 & 1 I was not able to hunt much last year. So this year I put in two plots close to our house, one just under an acre and the other just under a half acre. So far on camera there are a lot of does and some small bucks, nothing out of the ordinary for around where I hunt.
    I scouted some public land that I am hoping to hunt this fall, but the best thing about the off-season has been when my wife and I were having dinner the other night and for the first time ever she asked, "Do you think you could kill us a deer this year?".
    Hoping for a good year, everything seems set at this point for the season to come.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

19. farmer rick

Dislikes Received:
    1/2 and 1 acre plots are good size. Think you'll be surprised how good they help your hunting.
    Also good when the wife wants you hunting to bring home some venison. :lol:

20. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I had quite a bit of luck on a kill plot I put behind my house in Tennessee. It was about 1/4 acre and I took quite a few deer including a couple of bucks hunting it.

I know you know this already, but If the does are using it the bucks will find them.

cantexian and Mudlake3 like this.